How to succeed at the imdB boards

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Congruous
Suntory Time

How to succeed at the imdB boards

#1 Post by Congruous » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:16 pm

I started visiting the imdB boards a few months ago, and mostly I've enjoyed browsing reviews of various movies. In terms of survival, I've learned one thing: never admit to liking a movie...it's politically incorrect. If you really want to fit in and be one of the boys, here are some clever posting suggestions.

1) "This movie sucks-" Highly original, this one will get everyone's attention.
2) "Worst movie ever-" This will make you sound like an expert.
3) "Anyone who likes this movie is an idiot-" This one covers a lot of ground...sort of like firing off a shotgun loaded with rabbit shot.
4) "I walked out-" This is especially impressive after you've given the movie a rating of 1.

sooner77
Stocking Lipper

#2 Post by sooner77 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:10 pm

LOL, so true, so true. Those titles comprise about half the threads concerning LIT. The other half consist of people trying to figure out what Bob whispered at the end. They either can't rest until they think they have the answer or they don't understand that it was intended strictly for Charlotte.

jml98
Asleep

#3 Post by jml98 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:49 pm

:lol:

Congruous
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Congruous » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:03 pm

And more:

- Most boring movie ever
- What was the point?

Azshi
Evelyn Waugh

#5 Post by Azshi » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:25 pm

...and should the director/screenwriter/actors try to do something a little differently, tack on "pretentious", "self-indulgent", and "pseudo-intellectual".

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#6 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:59 am

:lol: :lol:

so true. the majority of people there are so ignorant and quick to jump on the bandwagon.
mike

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#7 Post by wiggle » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:43 pm

"The only part I liked was when the end credits rolled."

"I've never been bored in all my life."

"I would've enjoyed it if something had happened."

"If Sofia wasn't related to a well-known director, this turd would've never been released."

"Anyone who liked this film is a moran and doesn't know anything about film."

"Scratching my eyes out would've been a favourable alternative."

"Is it me, or did the director forget to add a story?"

"This is quite clearly the most racist film in the entire history of cinema."

"I would've needed that device in A Clockwork Orange to keep my eyes open."
Where the hell's the whiskey?

Sausilito
Tokyo Insomniac

#8 Post by Sausilito » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:46 am

hahaha so true wiggle!

I'm glad i've found this community, a far cry and welcome alternative to IMDB. I've loved LiT ever since i first watched it, and I too have felt that "punched in the stomach" feeling (the feeling is indescribable, but those words are the most adequate) that you all know

One question though - how do you make custom nicknames for yourself? (Can you? for the most part i've seen the same 6 or 7, with the exceptions of JML98 and Suntory's nicknames)

#9 Post by Guest » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:16 pm

Sausilito wrote:hahaha so true wiggle!

I'm glad i've found this community, a far cry and welcome alternative to IMDB. I've loved LiT ever since i first watched it, and I too have felt that "punched in the stomach" feeling (the feeling is indescribable, but those words are the most adequate) that you all know
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have some new members!
Sausilito wrote: One question though - how do you make custom nicknames for yourself? (Can you? for the most part i've seen the same 6 or 7, with the exceptions of JML98 and Suntory's nicknames)
The Administrivia section of the forum lists the guidelines for the forum and how the ranking works.
Regular contributors to the forum once they achieve the rank of Charlie Brown may choose a custom name if they so desire.
I'm thinking of lowering the number of posts again to get to that point since this is a low traffic board and it could take a year to get there!

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#10 Post by The Shoegazer » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:34 pm

ha! thats some true stuff. I dont like those boards cause they are loaded with people just waiting to make a unintelligent and biased remark but then again, it IS their opinion.

Sausilito
Tokyo Insomniac

#11 Post by Sausilito » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:38 am

Bob wrote: The Administrivia section of the forum lists the guidelines for the forum and how the ranking works.
ahh...excuse my ignorance.

glad to be here
Call me if you get lost

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#12 Post by Autumn Child » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:12 am

Bob wrote:
Sausilito wrote:hahaha so true wiggle!

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have some new members!
Sausilito wrote: One question though - how do you make custom nicknames for yourself? (Can you? for the most part i've seen the same 6 or 7, with the exceptions of JML98 and Suntory's nicknames)
The Administrivia section of the forum lists the guidelines for the forum and how the ranking works.
Regular contributors to the forum once they achieve the rank of Charlie Brown may choose a custom name if they so desire.
I'm thinking of lowering the number of posts again to get to that point since this is a low traffic board and it could take a year to get there!

do you not do post counts here?

:( i like post counts :)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

Sausilito
Tokyo Insomniac

#13 Post by Sausilito » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:22 pm

post counts are in the memberlist section, but that's true, it would be cool to have a post count in the avatar (the nicknames only give u a range, really)
Call me if you get lost

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#14 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:09 pm

:lol: , I was browsing through the LIT IMDB boards one day and found that it had more negative posts than positive, and there was this one guy who wouldn't stop critizing the people who liked it. Trying to prove his points..mistakes in the movie, bad cinematography, etc. it was hillarious because he was so prone on "converting everyone away from the LIT fixation that he could never achieve...

Go see for yourself... I really think he had over 100 posts dealing with that...talk about commitment.

psst..just between you and me..I think he was jealous! :D
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."