Books

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Autumn Child
Philosopher

Books

#1 Post by Autumn Child » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:54 pm

sorry if there's already this topic somewhere, but...

...what book's do you think are great? what books are you in love with? are all the books you really like really well written or is it something else that makes you like them?

i really love How I Live Now by Meg Rossof at the moment. I dont know why, i suppose its quite easy to read but kinda emotional and i got caught up in the characters. My favourite line from it is "and Piper smiled her solumn smile and said For Love."

i really liked Girl With A Pearl Earring but for different reasons, it was really atmospheric and well written i thought.

i also used to really love Naughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman, probably for the same reasons as for How I Live Now.

other books that i really like are many of the older Discworld (Terry Prattchet) books. I think the best are Lords and Ladies, and Hogfather. I think they're really clever and witty and exiting and he's great at developing characters, they actually have a personality like they're real people. I'm not great at explaining so maybe you have to read them :)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by I65 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:20 pm

In my younger days I was quite a literary snob, and only really read classics. I liked Faulkner and Steinbeck. East of Eden is my favorite, first time I cried reading a book. I wont put when, to avoid spoilers, but if you have read it, you probably know the part.

Once I met my husband, he let me know what I snob I was, and convinced me to read Stephen King. Now I have to say The Stand (I have only read the unabridged version) is my favorite novel of all time (I own 3 copies, one hard back that has never been read, and 2 paperbacks since I wore out the first. I also love the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, though I haven't gotten through them all.

Haven't read much in the past few years, I am sorry to say...

I did enjoy Girl with a Pearl Earring, the movie, I should take the time to read the book sometime.

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#3 Post by Autumn Child » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:26 pm

i think somethimes the non-literary (sp?) type of books that arent amazingly written (if you know what i mean) can have the greatest effect.

thats how i feel with How I Live Now :)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk