My Grandpa Story

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

My Grandpa Story

#1 Post by I65 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:16 pm

For those of you who may be interested, here is my story about what has been recently going on with me. It will probably end up quite long, so don't feel it necessary to read through it all.

My Grandfather was a very active, eccentric man. He was a millionaire who lived like a pauper, which is why he was a millionaire. He had a fourth grade education, so it didn't have anything to do with any high profile career. He was the groundskeeper for the Catholic Church in the small town he lived in until he was 86. This doesn't seem like much until you see the grounds, they covered a full city block. He did everything, including climbing up into the trees to prune them, climbing up on the roof, and ladders into the arches to change lightbulbs. He gave many a church lady a scare with his antics.

He was known around town for riding his bike everywhere he went. At 86 he was struck by a car and this was the begining of his decline. A few months later he broke a hip, and a year or so after that he broke the second. On his second hip break he was in a rehabilitation center in the town that I lived in. My mother commuted here to work 4 days a week, so (she was his legal power of attorney) and would visit him on those days, but asked me to visit him on the others. I would go once a week to see him, but it was very distressing to me. He had decided to move in with my mother once he was out of rehab, and let her husband (who is an unemployed alcoholic) and her take care of him. He didn't want to, but it's what she wanted to do for him, so he decided to give her a chance. I would come to see him, and could tell that things were not going well even at the rehab. He wasn't able to eat the food they were preparing for him and my mom wasn't doing anything about it. I did what I could, and he would tell me "your the one, you have to be the one". He knew that my mother was incapable of giving him the care that he needed, but my hands were tied. I didn't know what to do. The last few weeks he was there, I did not go see him. In retrospect, I think that all things happen for a reason, and I needed that time to rest up for what was ahead.

The insurance on the rehab ran out, and my mother took him to her home. There was a lot of fighting between the three of them going on, and things weren't going well. On the fifth day (6/1/05) of him being there the three of them got into quite a fight, and my mother told her husband (who was drunk at the time) to take her father back to the rehab he was at. (This is about a 45 minute drive). Of course the rehab would not take him without a doctors order, so he drove my grandfather to the hospital. While I don't know that the hospital staff saw it, this man (about 6'4, 250 to 300 lbs) kicked my 88 year old 120 lb grandfathers wheelchair hard enough to send him spinning and almost knock over through the hospital doors. I know this because he and my grandfather both said the same thing, and he actually bragged about it to one of my grandfather's neighbors. Once inside the hospital, nurses witnessed him verbally abusing my grandfather, and throw a bag at him that contained his glasses, wallet, and pills. He told the nurses that they were no longer able to care for my grandfather, grabbed the bag and left, per the nurses and my grandfather. Shaken up and scared by the experience, he told the nurses he did not want to go back there. He has one other daughter, who he had not spoken to in 7 years. He had the presence of mind to give the nurse her name, and the city she lived in. Luckily she was listed in the phone book, and they were able to locate her on 6/2/05.

On 6/3/05 after being unable to get a hold of my mother (she had disconnected her phone) she contacted me and let me know that she was looking for assisted living for my grandfather up there, if anyone didn't have a better suggestion. I let her know that I would do anything that needed to be done while he was down here. I took the rest of the day off work, went down to the hospital, and found out the information about the incident that I stated above. My grandfather asked me to take care of his finances for him, it just hadn't worked out with my mom, and so I agreed to do so. I needed his check book and paperwork, and went to go see my mother that night. I wont go into detail about how it all went, but she basically gave me his check book, some mail, and said that her husband gave my grandfathers bag of belongings to the nurse, so she must have stolen it. This was the last time I spoke with her.

Upon arriving at the hospital, my grandfather was very anemic. They had given him some blood, and were running tests to get him approved for placement into assisted living. At that time they found a spot on his colon which turned out to be a cancerous tumor. While he would not go through any kind of extensive cancer treatment at his age, it was important that it be operated on, to stop the bleeding that was causing the anemia. Now, I had the job ahead of me of getting power of attorney for his medical and finances, and a new will written (no changes other than me being the executor) all without him having any id, and no way to get him to the dmv to get one.

I contacted an attorney, and got my father (who is divorced from my mother) to come down and ID him along with my husband. We got everything switched over before he went into surgery. He went through surgery with flying colors, and told me that he wanted to walk again (he hadn't walked except a few steps with a walker since his second hip break). I focused on getting him rehabilitation, and getting all of his assets into a trust for him over the next few weeks. He moved on to rehab, but ended up with pneumonia one Saturday morning, and was back in the hospital. I had just found out that he had set up all of his accounts to Transfer on Death to my mother, to make it easier for her to distribute his estate. That morning was crazy for me. My Aunt and brother had been coming down a day here and there to give me a break from going to the hospital several times a day during the week while I tried to work (they live about 3 hours away). I had told my aunt to take the weekend off, since he was in the rehab, and come down during the week when I had to be at work would help me more. (FMLA does not cover Grandparents, so I had to work full time while trying to take care of him as well as the financial aspect). On the way to the hospital, I was on the phone with the estate planner, and he told me go see your granddad, but you have to get to the bank today to get docs signed to remove those TOD's from the accounts in case something happens. It was one of the hardest things that I had to do, but I went to the emergency room, went in to see him, had the doctors tell me that he may pass on. He was alert enough to know I was there, and mustered a laugh when I said something about him missing the nurses here, but he couldn't really talk. I told him I had to go, that I had more paperwork to do, but I would be back, and my dad and his daughter were on their way to see him too. He nodded his head, and I left. It was heartbreaking, but we both knew that this had to be done.

Amazingly, by the next day he was majorly improved, and within a few more days he was back at the rehab again. I continued my schedule of working, visiting, and getting his finances in order. By the end of that week, it seemed like things were going fairly well. On June 26th, a Sunday, my brother had come down and visited him, and called me just a bit before I was about to go make a visit myself. He said that grandpa had thrown up, and that he was sleeping. I called the nurses station several times that evening to check on him, but he was sleeping soundly, and had eaten a little bit at dinner time without throwing up, so I decided to stay home. It was the only day since I had first gotten to the hospital that I didn't see him. The next morning, I went to check on him before I was off to work. He was looking pretty good, eating his breakfast, but told me that things weren't going the way that he thought that they would. I reminded him that I had scheduled him to have a massage that afternoon, and that I would come by at lunch, and introduce him to the therapist. At lunch I went back, and he smiled and said he had been waiting for this all day. I told him to be good (he was still randy at 88 :P ) and that I would be back at 6. The therapist called me after the massage and said that all went well, but that he seemed frail, and she wasn't sure that he would ever be able to walk again.

After work I went back to the rehab, and walked into his room. They had him sitting up in bed, with his food in front of him, but he was slumped over to the right. He was having labored breath (not sure if you have heard a death rattle before, but if you have, you know what I heard) and had some vomit coming out of the side of his mouth. With his usual sense of humor he looked up at me and said "you got here just in time".

I went to the nurses station, and let them know what was going on. They called an ambulance, suctioned out the vomit, and put him on some oxygen. The ambulance took him back to the hospital and I followed. I couldn't get back right away, I guess they had to get him into the system or whatever, but I kept pestering them until they let me back. They asked me if he was DNR, again let me know that he may be dying, and started a breathing treatment, which they said was all that they would do. I held his hand, and told him how brave he was being. I told him that all we could do, is the best that we could, and we would leave the rest up to God. It was a much different speech than I had given him the last time, and he nodded to me. I pulled up a chair, sat next to him, and held his hand until he passed.

I know this sounds like a very sad story, but so many wonderful things did come out of it. He was able to see his estranged daughter and tell her how much he loved her, he was able to see my father and my brother, who he hadn't seen in quite some time. He learned that he had actually become a millionaire (he was just over 900,00 last time he had checked). He was surrounded by people that loved and respected him.

Since my mother didn't have a phone, during all of this my brother would go to her house occasionally and let her know what was going on. She had refused to come and see my grandfather unless he allowed her husband to come. He had already told me that he was afraid of the man, so in his state, I didn't feel that was a choice he should have to make. After all, the whole prior 2 months he had been in rehab, the man hadn't visited him once. The day after my grandfather died, my brother drove up to let my mom know, and on that day her husband gave my brother the wallet he had claimed to have given to the nurse. How my mother has justified that in her head, I will never know. To me there was no reason for him to produce it at that point, other than to prove where his motivation was.

The funeral of course was held at the Church he was the grounds keeper of. Four priests showed up to do the services. It was quite a testiment to what the church meant to him, and what he meant to the church.

I am currently working on getting his estate settled, and unfortunately that paperwork that I rushed away from the emergency room to get, sat on someones desk for 2 weeks, instead of going to the accounts that it should have, so I am dealing with attorneys etc and trying to get it all straightened out. Once that is over, I will quit smoking, I promise :D

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by 52FM » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:57 pm

I just read the whole account - twice. As I said, it is a wonderful story of love and dedication; what a special momnet that must be for you - to hold his hand as he passed from our world into the next. I'm sure you feel his hand guiding you as you go through the estate settling and all.

This was so much more detail than on IMDb and I'm glad that you put so much of yourself into it- and I thank you for sharing it all in the way you did.

I'm really at a loss for what more to say so I'll stop - and read the story one more time.

However, one correction to your signature - you are most certainly NOT an f'd up girl. I'm glad you're on this board with us.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Congruous » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:45 am

52FM, now you have to watch "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" to understand Ith's signature. It comes up a couple of times in that excellent movie.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by 52FM » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:49 am

I will watch that movie next; my son has that one also. Almost watched it over the weekend. Now I wish I did since he'll be back at school soon.

But no matter what the reference, I feel that if Ith is f'd up, then I'm hopeless (with apologies to Sofia for stealing and paraphrasing her line).

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by I65 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:10 pm

ETOTSM was one of those life changing movies for me. I hope you enjoy it.

As for the f'd up girl part, well...we are all a lot of things at the core of our being that other people don't see. I'm also incredibly shy, which my husband laughs at when I say, but I am. I just worked hard to over come it. So exteriorly, after years of hard work, perhaps I am not, but that f'd up little girl is still inside of me.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Congruous » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:36 pm

I just read the story through, and not only did you do great, I bet thinking of it will pick you up whenever you're getting down on yourself. I know your granddad felt comfortable always knowing that you would be there, and, being a working man himself, he knew the sacrifices you were making to get his affairs in order.

I'm sorry your mother is stuck with such a jerk. Hopefully, one day soon she will see the light.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:40 pm

Just amazing... I don't know a more appropriate way to comment.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#8 Post by silvermoon » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:50 pm

amazing story. i have personally seen how easy it is for people to look the other way in these types of situations so it is an incredibly brave and loving action that you took, and when one leaves this plane of existence, they can ask for nothing more than to have those they love around them. thank you very much for sharing that with us, it was truly inspiring

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by I65 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:08 pm

Thanks for your responses all. I always feel a wee bit uncomfortable when people compliment me on doing this, because it was an honor that I was given the opportunity to do it.

But as Silvermoon said, I guess there really are people in the world that can look away when something like this happens, I just don't understand those people.

I was as lucky to have him, as he was me. There were so many blessings and wonderful things that came of this, that it was easy to get through the tough spots. And I had much help from others who also cared about him along the way.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#10 Post by I65 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:44 pm

Short update, just to let you know why I'm not posting much and abruptly lately.

We finally made the decision of how to approach my mother for her signature to get my grandfather's accounts into the trust. It involved setting up a court day to summon her to if she did not sign.

Rather than signing the papers, and getting the accounts into the trust as my grandfather wished, she has chosen to make this a "power play" to assert her control. She has the documents in hand, and says she has to read them over (they are 3 or 4 lines long, same wording just regarding 3 different accounts) and will sign them and get them back to me in a few days.

My emotional and logical sides are battling at the moment to take control. My logical side is winning, but giving my emotional side some time to absorb things as well. Hopefully this will all be over soon, and she wont decide to drag this out into a long nasty court battle to make herself feel important.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by 52FM » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:32 pm

Whatever happens, Ith - you have the strength to see it through. And we are with you in spirit here in our little community.

Wishing you all the best, as always.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#12 Post by silvermoon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:25 pm

all the best, ithildriel

Congruous
Suntory Time

#13 Post by Congruous » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:01 pm

Leave the Uzi in the gun rack.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#14 Post by I65 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:17 pm

Congruous wrote:Leave the Uzi in the gun rack.
OK, It's a little harder to shoot that way, but I'm a big girl, guess I can handle it :P

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#15 Post by I65 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:57 pm

Since this is an anonymous board, I will take this time to vent a little frustration over the current situation. Feel free to disregard my rantings.

The attorney gave my mother the papers that we need her to sign to get the money moved over into the trust on Wednesday. At that time she told him she would take them so she could read them over, sign them, and get them back to me in a few days. These are 3 almost identical documents that say "I, the undersigned, hereby request the following: Please liquidate the accounts herein designated and send the proceeds to The (Insert Grandpa's name) trust dated June 12, 2005 as per the terms of his will and his directions to the Attorney in Fact of his Durable Power of attorney, (Insert my name), before his death." The only difference between the three documents are the accounts that they are addressed to. She was also given on that day documentation showing that she was still getting 25% of the estate as was intended in the original will, and I was still getting 2.5%. This isn't rocket science. It is now Saturday, and no word from her.

She works until 4pm, so I had decided to give her a couple of days to digest what was happening, but the attorney wanted me to call her by Friday to make arrangements to get the documents. I called her work at 3:30 and she had already left for the day. Her home phone is disconnected, but my brother gave her a cell phone. I decided to "think positively" and wait to get home to see if she had put the documents in my mail box (It drops into my house so it is secure, she has done this with things before). Of course I got home and there were no papers so I called the cell number. The line did not get picked up and I left a message. I decided today to try and call her again, and the same thing occurred. I hope I am wrong, but I have a very strong suspicion that she is avoiding contact with me, and is planning to drag this thing out as long as she can through the courts.

Her turning this into a power play between her and me is reprehensible. She is playing the victim in all of this, when everything that occurred was based on her and her husbands actions. She said something to the attorney about my grandfather not liking attorneys, so perhaps she is using this as her justification that I am wrong, because I got one. Well, had they not abandoned him without any ID I would not have HAD to get one in order to prove his identity to get the power of attorney for his medical and financial needs as he requested that I do. It is so frustrating that she is so short sighted and so used to playing the victim to people that she can't even see her responsibility in any of this.

While I have said before, and still hold true to my feelings that it was an honor for him to ask me to take care of him for the remainder of his life, and to make sure that his estate was distributed as per his wishes, if she thinks that this is something that I wanted to happen, she is sorely mistaken.

Rant off :P

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#16 Post by 52FM » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:30 am

Rant on as often as you need or want.

This has got to be incredibly frustrating and emotionally draining.

For what it's worth, we're with you. I'm sure I speak for many here who wish you the best and wish we could do more than just offer encouragment. (But Congruous, I think you need you may need to think happier thoughts than imagining Uzi fire!)

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#17 Post by I65 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:45 am

Just a quick update. After 8 days, my mother did finally bring me the signed documents that I needed. She shared her concerns with me, but made sure that she let me know that she was not contesting his current will, so I better not just give her a dollar. This at least gives me some hope that this was the last big hurdle I will need to get past before the distribution of the estate is complete. I contacted the accounts in question, and on the phone they sounded like everything was good, so I mailed the documentation off, so as long as it is on the right colored paper, and all the t's are crossed it should be a go.

He has 16 beneficiaries to his trust. 7 of them are his brothers and sisters (he had 5 1/2 siblings, and 13 full siblings, his father was a busy man!) and I don't know them, so I can't be sure that they wont contest the will and drag this in to court, but I don't believe they will. Of the rest of the beneficiaries, my mother was really the only one that I worried would try and do something, so I am feeling pretty confident that it is down hill from here. While there is still quite a bit of work to do, I feel that it will all get wrapped up with in the next few months. It feels good to be able to breath again! :)

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#18 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:36 pm

I am at a loss for words concerning this story... all I can say is that it seems like you did your best to make him happy until his last days.
As 52FM said.. we all wish wish you the best with these times. You take care of yourself :wink:
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

Congruous
Suntory Time

#19 Post by Congruous » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:39 am

What a pain in the butt, Ith! I know the lawyers are loving you.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#20 Post by 52FM » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:14 am

Ith - glad to hear that this major hurdle is finally behind you. Wow - it sounds like a pretty complex will given the shear number of beneficiaries. The potential for contesting is still there I guess - from what I remember there is a time limit after it is public record, but that probably varies by state. So you may be dealing with it for a while. As executor, you are of course within your rights to extract a fee for your services. Maybe enough to buy a one-way ticket for your mother and step-father somewhere far away?