do you believe in fate?

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

silvermoon
Suntory Time

do you believe in fate?

#1 Post by silvermoon » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:10 pm

i've never really believed in the idea of fate. i'm an agnostic, so i choose not to believe anything for which i have no evidence, religious beliefs or otherwise. however, the strangest thing kept happening to me that made me question this, and obviously it involved a girl.

i've always wanted to believe that we would one day be together, but also had the sneaking suspicion that it wouldnt work out. not so much because fate would not allow it, just that we might not be compatible as individuals. the thing that twigged me into the idea that fate might play a hand concerned the conversations we had online.

as we were no longer in the same school and could no longer see each other as often, we kept contact by speaking to each other every day. the strange thing was, numerous times when i would leave my computer (not having engaged in our daily conversation), i would return and find she had been online and left 1min before i got back. 1min and no more.

this happened many times, sometimes i would leave only for her to come online (within a minute) and vice versa. frustratingly, on one occasion i left to meet her somewhere, only to receive a txt message on my mobile saying i had left a min before she could tell me online that she couldnt make it. and this was at a time when i was still unsure of where our relationship was headed, and in retrospect they came like hints that we would always be just out of touch of each other. and of course, now that our relationship is strictly one between friends, not only have the hints dropped but i dont even speak to her that much anymore.

of course i realise how trivial this incident is, but i did find it quite odd at the time that something as coincidental as this would happen. it sounds funny to say out loud, but i found it quite interesting being constantly 1min apart. gives new meaning to saying 'just missed you', over and over. anyway, does anyone have any experiences that made them question their beliefs in fate?

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by I65 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:44 pm

I believe very strongly in fate, or the "everything happens for a reason" philosophy. You just have to read the story of what happened with my grandfather. It is a prime example, that strengthened that belief in me.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:16 pm

I don't beleive in fate per se, but as we go through life I do think patterns emerge. Often we feel out of control of those patterns, but that may be us flowing along with them rather than taking control. However, it is often too unsetltling to try and control something that seems inevitable.

As I posted earlier - college can be the best time of your life. I've no right to tell anyone how to live or feel - but just consider that students without a serious relationship going into college have more opportunities to explore and meet people. That was the advice I gave my duaghter.

OK - that's it. I'm re-enrolling tomorrow. I'm sure I don't look too much over 25. Well, maybe with some hair dye and transplants in a few places and wrinkles removed and ...
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by adrien950 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 am

I have been discussing this topic with friends recently, so I'd like to get some opinions on this from you all as well. Some events in my life have recently re-affirmed my belief in fate or pre-destination..whatever you want to call it.
I am not agnostic..I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Life is full of possibilities. There is just no way that certain circumstances in my life could be summed up as coincidence. I'm not saying there is no such thing as coincidence either..there certainly is.

P.S.
I am NOT knocking people who are agnostic one bit. Everyone has a right to believe as they chose. :wink:

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#5 Post by silvermoon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:32 am

i dont try to impose my beliefs on anyone else, thanks for not trying to change mine. :wink:
i realise that the qu of the existence of fate is a complete cliche, but i spose when it comes to romance it often turns up. i'm a somewhat cynical and analytical person, i always thought that the idea of fate was redundant if you can't see your own. if you don't know what will happen, you can't change what does, so i always thought fate was more an idea that people created to explain things that happen to them (not in a bad or harmful way, just how i think the idea came about...sorry for being such a cynic). so i normally don't think about this idea, but every so often circumstance raises the issue, if only for a while. the situation i mentioned b4 was one such instance, another regards my 'charlotte' (again, just for simplicity). with the events in the past 3 weeks and the frequency with which they have occurred, i can't help but once again wonder why these things happen, and more importantly how they will be resolved. but then, i come to this point where i realise that even if choices that i make are only superficial and are part of a grand scheme beyond my control, without further knowledge i simply go with the flow, and try to enjoy myself as much as i can, and make the choices i feel are right

Congruous
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Congruous » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:25 am

I do not believe in fate.

sooner77
Stocking Lipper

#7 Post by sooner77 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:29 pm

Fate = opportunity. After that it's up to you.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by I65 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:15 pm

sooner77 wrote:Fate = opportunity. After that it's up to you.
I like that....Where is the clapping smilie? :?

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by 52FM » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:32 pm

Fate = opportunity

Yes - the more I think about it - it really says it well.

Think of LiT - had Charlotte not struck up the conversation; had Bob not responded; had she not invited him out that night; had he not accepted. Who knew what would happen - but they didn't keep themselves closed off - content to wallow or blindly ignore their issues.

Sometimes all you have to do is open the door a crack and you can be amazed what brilliant sunshine comes pouring in!
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

sw25
LIT Super Fan

#10 Post by sw25 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:55 pm

I don't believe so much in fate as I do in the fact that coincidence is often a little more than...coincidental, maybe?

It's hard for me to describe. I don't think there is only one path in life for each person; I feel each and every one of us has the potential to strike out our own path.

I do, however, feel that many of us are connected, mentally. Not telepathy, per se, but a criss-crossing of minds. I think that two people who feel a strong enough connection could, if not be drawn together, at least be reminded of one another by similar things in life.

Oh, dear. Now I sound like a wannabe philosopher. Pardon that, everybody :) .

On a side note, I met a fantastic girl at my creative writing workshops this summer. She was a great poet, and I'm never going to forget a particular night we spent at a coffee shop in town. I felt something strong with her, not necessarily romantic, just through words. I felt at ease with her, regardless of whether she reciprocated my feelings.

Much to my disappointment, I was too shy to ever ask her for a phone number or an online address, and I left the last day wanting to punch myself in the face.

We probably won't cross paths again (not unless I use my detective skills, and that would probably end up in a restraining order).

If we do meet again, well...I wouldn't know what to make of it. I think I've learned enough in my short life not to pretend I know how the universe works. In the words of one of my favorite authors,

"Tiger got to hunt
Bird got to fly
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why'
Tiger got to sleep
Bird got to land
Man got to tell himself he understand"