Favorite season?

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

Favorite season?

#1 Post by 52FM » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:12 pm

With the Bears' home opener tomorrow (I'm a season ticket holder - going with my younger son), it reminds me that my favorite season is just about here. In the Chicago area, it's the only decent season weather wise. Winters have been milder of late, but they still are cold and snowy; spring never really gets here - we go from winter to summer way too fast. Summer then is too often hot and humid.

But fall lingers through December usually - crisp air; great memories of the kids during Halloween season; pumpkin patch then beer & pizza afterwards (well, not beer for the kids); fireplace roaring - and now this fall we put in a brick semi-circular extention to our patio/deck for an outdoor fireplace. We're having guests over tonight to break it in - got my iPod set up outside (my wife pleasantly surprised me by suggesting that tonight we listen to "my music" instead of what's on her iPod.) Somehow I think it will be the start of a great fall season.

And of course - fall means FOOTBALL!!!

So - what's' your favorite season and why?
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by jm » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:46 pm

"Not summer, when the trash of the trashy neighborhood I'm in acts up all over, along with their school age kids.

Not winter, when the worst town in Ohio south of Cleveland can't get the snow and ice off the streets.

Let's say spring, when the womenfolk come out of their parkas, and you can actually feel hopeful for a little while."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#3 Post by preciouswhile » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:06 am

Autumn, definitely.

Mostly it's the change in the air, the feel and the smell. Things seem more vivid to me...more in focus. The changing of the stars in the sky. The shorter days; I'm a night owl. Here in the evergreen state we don't get very many trees that change, but those that do contrast nicely. The mountains begin to change from blue to white.

My favorite holiday of the year: Halloween.

Autumn in her flaming dress of orange, brown, and gold.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by adrien950 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:29 am

For me, it's Winter.

Winter's great because I can get nice-n-cozy by my fireplace and just relax with a book, turn on some music, and have a warm drink(Suntory anyone? :wink: ).
It does snow here in Dallas, but nothing major. Usually it snows around February. Winter's the wind down to the year..a reflective time.For me, aside from the Christmas shopping, it is the most relaxing time of the year.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Congruous » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:37 pm

I don't have a favorite season. What I do enjoy is the changing of seasons. Down here in Georgia it's so pleasant to feel the air get a little crisper and cooler after months of sultry heat. Our winters are mild, so it doesn't bother me a bit if we get the occasional snowstorm every five or ten years or if we get unusually chilly nights. Then in March we'll have a few days in the high sixties-low seventies. Changing seasons are a constant reawakening of hope and favorable change.

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#6 Post by jml2 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:40 pm

I like them all, they all have their own kind of beauty to offer

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:39 am

johnmonkey wrote:Not summer, when the trash of the trashy neighborhood I'm in acts up all over, along with their school age kids.

Not winter, when the worst town in Ohio south of Cleveland can't get the snow and ice off the streets.

Let's say spring, when the womenfolk come out of their parkas, and you can actually feel hopeful for a little while.
I think you read my mind.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#8 Post by You Make it Easy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:20 am

Right now, Florida has perfect weather now, slight breezes, 65-90 degrees, when it gets cooler thro OCT. Florida is beautiful. And of course the Hurricanes, not because of their destruction but the waves they bring to the coast. 7-12 FT waves with decent form only happens when there is a hurricane out in the ocean.
Waiting to be found...

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by I65 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:49 pm

Fun Thread!

I would have to say late spring early summer for me. I like it hot. I wear a sweater when it gets below 80, and I am comfortable until it hits 100 (which it does often where I live during high summer, otherwise summer would win hands down).

52 hope you enjoyed the ball game with your son, and how did the christening of the outdoor fireplace go?

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#10 Post by 52FM » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:14 pm

Sad to say I missed the ballgame. Long story (well, not as long as some of my other stories :lol: ), but my class tonight doesn't start for another half hour so I'll type it out.

I had planned to go with a friend who I had tickets with since 1976 (not a typo - I do mean the bi-centennial year). He had those in his name, but gave them up in the late 90's. I had my name on the waiting list and it came up a few years after that. He hadn't been to a game since then (nor did he care) but he never saw the new stadium so I invited him. He wasn't sure. In the meantime my son called and annouced he wanted to go to the game since he's be home for an Alkaline Trio concert Sunday night. Being away, he only goes to a game or two at most, so I said yes and my friend understood (he was "iffy" anyway about going since he's in the middle of a huge house rennovation).

So Sunday morning came, and since it takes a good 2 hours to get from our house to our seats (what with the frisking they do entering the stadium) I wanted to leave at 10:00 AM. I find him doing Physics homework - and in a pretty bad mood about it. He put it off too long and was in somewhat of a panic. So I helped him as best I could, and the time kept getting later and I calculated that by the time we finished we'd miss almost the first half.

So we didn't go. Bears 38 Lions 6; probably the best game of the year.

OK - so that was bad enough. He went to the concert, and then would drive to Purdue after it was over for a 7:30AM class. That evening, I looked in his room and saw his book, calculator, papers etc. I wasn't going to drive them over to him at the concert - so I had to FedEx them to him Monday morning.

Everytime he comes home he either forgets something, or takes something back that isn't his (like a set of car keys one time - and it was the only set we had. We now have three for every car.)

He is very intelligent and has a great future in front of him - as an absent minded professor.

OK - now on to the fireplace. PERFECT night for it. Had another couple over. We grilled, listened to music (the only rule was no Yanni - go figure!), a few (bottles of) wine, ate outside, lit the fire, sat and talked. A rather pleasant beginning to fall, I must say. We're doing it again Friday night with two other couples we lately have not seen much of. Reconnecting old friendships which helps us "empty-nesters" reconnect as well.

(Of course, we're having trouble being empty nesters when the kids keep coming back home from school every other weekend. Reminds me of the saying "How can I miss you if you won't stay away?" :) )

(You know Bob - this is a pretty slim selection of smilies. Can it be augmented somehow).

OK - well I had a lot of time when I started this, but class is now in 15 minutes. I don't know if I ever mentioned this - but I REALLY enjoy teaching, especially college age.

Anyway - Ith; probalby too much information - though I've been worse - but it was a good way to fill the time since no students have come into the office tonight.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."