A sad day for Chicagoans

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#21 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:59 am

THANKS lemon! I did not know Daniel Burnham was involved. He is a very famous planner in Chicago history - responsible for preserving the downtown lakefront area for parks and recreation rather than having buildings right up to the shore. Famous for his quote: "Make no small plans." Very interesting.

Also - the location (state and madison) is the "0" address of Chicago. The city's N/S/E/W designation emminate from this corner.

A study was done many years ago in Chicago. People were asked "if someone asked you to meet them tomorrow, but didn't say where or what time, where would go and what time would you get there?" The overwhelming response was State and Madison at noon.

As you can tell, I love my "Sweet Home, Chicago!"
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#22 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:08 pm

52FM have you ever visited this page ? http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Landmarks/Archi ... rnham.html
I've learned a lot about Chicago from it.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#23 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:57 pm

Thanks for the link, lemon. I'll check it out soon.

With your love of architecture and Americana, do you have formal training or education in a field related to that? Not trying to get too personal - just wondering if you've channeled those interests into a related career of any kind. I just spoke with a woman I've known for a while at work, about my age, and she's doing a career shift also (like I am with teaching); she's an English Lit major and is getting an advanced degree in Library Science. It seems like a lot of people in my generation spent a long time chasing a career they didn't like, only to fall back on the things they really wanted to do in the first place. For me, it's math/stats; for her using her English Lit pawssion somehow; another 50-ish woman I know is going into adult counseling. Many people are leavign the corporate world to teach - reaching out to people instead of balance sheets. Or maybe it's just us old hippies coming home to roost.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#24 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:21 pm

I have no education or formal training in anything.
Everything i know a little bit about is all from reading books or because i saw a documentary on it.
Nah,it's not old hippies coming home to roost :) I think that's something that tends to happen to alot of people. I guess as we all grow,and shape as individuals,the more comfortable we become with ourselves,the less we let the world get to us and we pursue the things that fullfill us as opposed to just doing something for a steady paycheck.
A friend of mine got a masters in engineering,and she quit her job and became a jewelry maker. Another was a commercial fisherman(third generation) who now owns an ice cream parlor,his family thought he was nuts for doing it,but he's happy.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#25 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:33 pm

"I have no education or formal training in anything. "
Sounds like maybe an opportunity for you - even if its 'just for fun'.

"Another was a commercial fisherman(third generation) who now owns an ice cream parlor,his family thought he was nuts."
I love a good pun, intentional or not! :lol:

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#26 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:44 pm

hahaha i didn't think anyone would catch that :)

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#27 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:49 pm

In case anyone is interested:
http://www.fields.com/common/fl_frango.jsp

Little mention on their own site about Frango Mint Liquer; don't know why.

Also - pictures of the nameplates and of the clocks on the corners of State/Randolph and State/Washington.

Many other historical sites have pictures here and there. but I couldn't find one dedicated to Fields.

By the way, like many stores do, they decorate their windows for Christmas each year; usually a fairy tale theme like the Nutcracker - but one year they actually used a Harry Potter theme.
Last edited by 52FM on Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#28 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:59 pm

As much as i'm in to mint i can't believe i've never heard of Frango.
Thank You for posting that :) I'm definitely placing an order.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#29 Post by 52FM » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:32 pm

You may recall this thread and how Macy's (actual Federated) bought a major department store chain in Chicago and will change its name.

Well, our other major dept store chain was sold yesterday. That would be Carson Pirie Scott & Company (or simply Carson's). The buyer announced that the name will stay the same.

Of course, the difference is I suspect no one outside of Philidelphia (the new owner's home base) ever heard of them. I can't recall the name as I type this.

Carson's headquarter store in downtown Chicago is the one designed by Louis Sullivan.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#30 Post by lemoncupcake » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Bon-Ton?

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#31 Post by lemoncupcake » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:22 pm

isn't/wasn't carson's owned by saks ?

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#32 Post by 52FM » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:54 pm

I'm not sure. Of all the owners they have had, it's possible that one was also the parent company for Saks. Bergner's I believe was the previous owner of Carson's; maybe they own Saks also?

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#33 Post by lemoncupcake » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:07 pm

buggery bon-ton,i dislike them greatly.
it seems all the grand "department stores" are either being sold,or demolished. it's a shame,because entire future generations will be missing out on these things :(
there's a part in almost famous where lester bangs tells william that he missed rock n roll and that he was around for the last gasp of it all. my grandmother said something similar to me when she took me to wanamaker's (now lord & taylor)anyone who's seen the movie mannequin,it was prince & co in the movie. she told me that grand department stores were falling off the maps and that i was around for the last gasp of it all.
here's something i found on carson's
Carson Pirie Scott & Co. hasn't been locally owned since 1989. Here's a look at its history:

1867 Founders Samuel Carson and John T. Pirie open their first store downtown at 136 Lake.

1871 The Great Chicago Fire sweeps through Carson Pirie Scott & Co.

1970 Carson's flagship store on State Street, with facade grille work by Louis Sullivan, is designated an official Chicago historical landmark.

1989 Carson's was acquired by P.A. Bergner & Co., operator of the Bergner's and Boston Store chains.

1991 After filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, Bergner took the Carson Pirie Scott & Co. name.

1998 Saks Inc., then known as Proffitt's, bought Carson's.

2005 Saks sells Carson's and four other department-store chains to Bon-Ton, York, Pa.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#34 Post by 52FM » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:11 pm

Lemon - I just causght this post. Thanks so much for looking up Carson's history!

Thankfully, the name will stay - and they are still doing major renovation work on the Louis Sullivan designed entrance. I made it a point to walk by there the other day.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#35 Post by lemoncupcake » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:22 pm

I'm glad to hear that. It's a beautiful building.
Oh and thanks for telling me about the mints,i'm addicted!

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#36 Post by 52FM » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:32 am

So you did order the Frango mints? Yes - they are a favorite of mine as well. Glad you liked them.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#37 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:38 am

yes and i absolutely love them
i think i've found a new addiction

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#38 Post by lemoncupcake » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:20 am

I just saw on the news about the devistating fire at Pilgrim Baptist Church. It's so sad for Chicago to lose a landmark. I put this here because we mentioned Louis Sullivan previously in this thread. It's one thing to lose landmarks to other companies taking over,greedy people,and so on but to lose one to something as horrible as a fire is so awful.
Chicago is beautiful and i'd love for all it's landmarks to stay save for future generations to enjoy.