NO! Not THAT!

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Congruous
Suntory Time

NO! Not THAT!

#1 Post by Congruous » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:33 pm

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#2 Post by wiggle » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:35 am

I don't get it.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by I65 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:51 am

wiggle wrote:I don't get it.
He's saying the same thing your tagline does...

"Where the hell's the whiskey".

Congruous
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Congruous » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:48 am

Wiggle, I shouldn't have posted this...it's probably too southeastern U.S. Us rednecks understand it, but there's no reason why anyone else would. I wasn't thinking straight.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by I65 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:04 am

Congruous wrote:Wiggle, I shouldn't have posted this...it's probably too southeastern U.S. Us rednecks understand it, but there's no reason why anyone else would. I wasn't thinking straight.
UH...was I just called a redneck :shock: :x :x :x :shock:

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Just Like Honey... » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:12 am

Ithildriel65 wrote:
He's saying the same thing your tagline does...

"Where the hell's the whiskey".
:lol:

We can hold our whiskey up here too.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Congruous » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:20 am

HAHAHA! No, I'm the redneck. I just thought that Wiggle, being from the UK, might not know what a still is, and how a person who operates a still might be perceived to be a person who would not own a Mercedes. Call it subtle southern irony, if a southerner is really capable of irony.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by 52FM » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:35 am

Well, I understood it also. From the New Yorker again? One of my favorite irony cartoons from there is a man at a piano in an extremely large mansion clearly extremely wealthy, and his wife, dressed in clearly expensive clothes says to him "Play some Blues". Do you have that one, Congruous?

Wiggle - if you want to understand "redneck" humor - look up Jeff Foxworthy's "you might be a redneck" jokes. Like "if your momma stares at an orange juice carton because it says "concentrate", you might be a redneck."
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#9 Post by Just Like Honey... » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:55 am

Only in a moment as priceless as this could a comic strip designed for the purpose of intelligent, witty irony lead to a conversation about the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. :lol:

Git R Done!
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#10 Post by The Shoegazer » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:37 pm

Congruous wrote:Wiggle, I shouldn't have posted this...it's probably too southeastern U.S. Us rednecks understand it, but there's no reason why anyone else would. I wasn't thinking straight.
jeet yet?
Here we are, Stuck by this river

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#11 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:43 am

yuh didn't bring yer truck widjuh didjuh?

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#12 Post by 52FM » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:33 am

"jeet yet?

Yeah - joo?

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#13 Post by The Shoegazer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:25 pm

52FM wrote:"jeet yet?

Yeah - joo?
lol. to be quite honest I dont know what it means, I think it has something to do with food and deer but not sure. My friend was just wearing the shirt that said that. sorry for giving you false hope to converse with a fellow southerner. :D
Here we are, Stuck by this river

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#14 Post by Just Like Honey... » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:36 pm

The Shoegazer wrote:
52FM wrote:"jeet yet?

Yeah - joo?
lol. to be quite honest I dont know what it means, I think it has something to do with food and deer but not sure. My friend was just wearing the shirt that said that. sorry for giving you false hope to converse with a fellow southerner. :D
lol. jeet yet? = did you eat yet

yeah, joo? = yeah, did you

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#15 Post by 52FM » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:52 pm

"sorry for giving you false hope to converse with a fellow southerner. "

I'm not even from the south side of Chicago! But I do find Jeff Foxworthy pretty funny.

Now Chicago blue colar dialect - that is unique. I could never quite get it down pat. It's a lot more than just "Da Bearsss" My father in law was a classic -
Shuddup! Da boat uh yuhs!
(shut up; the both of you)

I say it, my wife says it, my kids say it - all for laughs and I'm sure my father in law laughs along somewhere!

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#16 Post by Just Like Honey... » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:41 am

The one that really wears on me is the New England slang/dialect, like New England clam chowdah, and the classic Regis line, "He's won a millian dollahs!".

Also, it is pronounced rOOf! not RUFF!! :)

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#17 Post by wiggle » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:10 am

I still don't get it.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#18 Post by 52FM » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:43 pm

"I just thought that Wiggle, being from the UK, might not know what a still is, and how a person who operates a still might be perceived to be a person who would not own a Mercedes. Call it subtle southern irony, if a southerner is really capable of irony."

OK - I think the meaning of the joke got lost in all the banter about who is or isn't a readneck and why etc.

A still is an apparatus for making homemade whiskey. It is sterotypically thought of to be a common appliance for realtively simple living folks in the southern US. The type of people who would own a still are usually not very well off economically - and therefore would certainly not be considered the type of people who would own a Mercedes. So here is this southerner talking about his divorce settlement - and he lost all these prized possessions in the process - but to add insult to injury she came back and smashed the still (which being illegal to own could not have been part of the settlement.)

Johnny Carson once said the least heard sentence in the English language is "that's the banjo player's Porsche". Kind of the same irony.

I hope you get it now. Other than that - it's just regional humor. Certain sections of the country are almost like foreign lands to people in other sections of the country. For example, as we approach winter - there will be people who cannot understand why anyone would live in an area of below zero temperatures and blizzards. And even though I'm from Chicago - I'll be one of them!

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#19 Post by I65 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:13 pm

52FM wrote:I hope you get it now. Other than that - it's just regional humor. Certain sections of the country are almost like foreign lands to people in other sections of the country. For example, as we approach winter - there will be people who cannot understand why anyone would live in an area of below zero temperatures and blizzards. And even though I'm from Chicago - I'll be one of them!
Yes, I agree. As it hit a blustery 49 here last night I wondered that myself :P

Who cares about Island fever, I'm ready to move to Maui with a friend of mine, where it is 80 year round...

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#20 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:27 pm

Ithildriel65 wrote:Yes, I agree. As it hit a blustery 49 here last night I wondered that myself :P
:lol:

We have snow on the ground.