Georgia Aquarium

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

Georgia Aquarium

#1 Post by 52FM » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:44 pm

Just read an article about the new aquarium opening in Atlanta this week. Congruous - do you have plans to visit? It will be by far the largest in the country in terms of total gallons of water. I was surprised to learn that our aquarium in Chicago was the largest before this one - I always thought it was the aquarium in Monterrey - which has one enormous tank with a million gallon single tank and a single glass wall that is - well I won't guess but it must be 16 feet high at least and 30-50 feet wide. With soft music playing it is an awe-inspiring experience. If Atlanta's is even better - I have to make it a point to get there to see it one day.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#2 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:49 pm

I saw it on The Today Show this morning. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's been added to my long list of places i must visit.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by I65 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:27 pm

Sounds amazing. I love the Monterey Aquarium, and the tank that you talk about 52. I go there every time I go to that area of the coast, I never tire of it.

Now if I can just get my husband to go to GA...I am pretty sure that he swore after his military experience never to go back to that "hell hole" as he called it, no offense Congruous... :wink:

Congruous
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Congruous » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:06 pm

Annual members got in yesterday and today. The general public gets in tomorrow. It has been very popular and our local TV news crews have been given almost unlimited access, so I've gotten to see a lot. It looks fantastic. I will probably wait until after the first of the year to go.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Congruous » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:56 am

I checked last night and they are sold out through this weekend. I don't know what constitutes a sellout, but the aquarium is a very large building.

I know I'll sound like an idiot (everyone down here is gushing about the sharks and whales), but the most appealing animals to me are the seals and the otters. Their shenanigans are hilarious.