Asobi Seksu

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

Asobi Seksu

#1 Post by Pitman » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:50 pm

ASOBI SEKSU

I first heard about this band in this forum. I don't recall who posted it first as being music related to the soundtrack of LiT, but after downloading some of their music, I started warming up to this band the more I listened to them. They are not the type of band you would hear on the radio because the music is not pop enough. They are more of an Indie band having been compared to My Bloody Valentine due to the guitar work of James Hanna plugging in through multiple distortion units and delay.

Fronting the band is a very petite and very gorgeous Japanese woman named Yuki. I'm guessing she is only 5 feet tall. yet the music she is creating is in a word, gigantic.

I want to relate to you here, an abbreviated version of my acquaintance and experience with this band for they came to Toronto Sept. 20, 2006 and played at the Horseshoe on Queen Street.

I tried searching for a post in this forum about this band and came up with nothing, yet it was here I first learned of them. Who was it that recommended them? To whoever that was, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Here is my story.....

I had been playing Asobi on my iPod for a couple of months before I heard that this band was to appear here in Toronto. Yuki's sweet voice as she sings both in English and Japanese, has a sort of hypnotic effect on me. I am drawn to her as a butterfly is drawn by the brilliance of a flower. This music has comforted me for the past couple of months. What would a live performance do? With little expectations, I went to see them play last Wednesday night.

After work, I was to meet up with Randall who was bringing a buddy of his who happened to be the brother of a friend of mine some 30 years ago back in grade school, whom I hadn't seen since. This was to be a momentous event in itself which was awakening old neural pathways I had thought were dormant forever. After our delightful chat, Eric headed off to Yoga class, and Randall and I went over to the Horseshoe.

We got there around 8PM. As we entered we could hear music in the back. We went to the back room and Asobi Seksu were in the middle of a sound check. There she was, Yuki, on the keyboard in front singing. What a beautiful vision. We listened to two songs as they were getting ready for the show which was to be around 11PM. As the band filed off the stage, I was hoping to say hello to Yuki. But, as she passed us by, she was on her cell phone and walking with her bandmates, so I didn't feel comfortable butting in.

We walked out after them. Randall left to go home, and I walked up the sidewalk behind the band curious to find out where they were going to eat. They walked into a Korean Sushi place I think, on the north corner of Queen and John, kitty corner from Much Music. I turned around and headed back to Peter Pan where my brother was tending bar. I had some time to kill.

I get back to the Horseshoe around 10PM. The first band is already playing. The place is crowded. I move up as close as I can get. I'm about 15 meters from the stage. After they finish, the crowd disperses a bit and I move up closer, perhaps now just 7 meters from the stage. I'm ready for the onset of Asobi Seksu.

The band comes on stage and sets up their gear. They decorate the stage with ornamental lights, like Christmas lights, around the mike stands and drums. Yuki asks for the lights to be dimmed. The band is ready to play.

I stood there in awe as this wave of sound emerged from the stage. I was trying to reconcile the petite, almost fragile-like elf of a woman singing against the blazing, heavy, near-deafening roar of the band behind her. It was a sight to behold. Such power from such a small frame. I had a flash back image of walking on the sidewalk behind the band. Four men and Yuki. She in a hooded sweatshirt, with these huge towering men around her, as if they were her bodyguards. In fact, these guys aren't really that tall, but look more so beside her...

Then, they played Red Sea. Oh my God. How can I describe it? When I first heard this tack on the CD, I was amazed at how the song could reach to a climactic finale 3 minutes before the end of the song..and continue on for that time, relentlessly pounding you with its force and brutal noise. I thought to myself, how are they going to pull this off live? I hope they will play it. Not only did they play this number, they basically closed with it. So, as the song played on and approached the climax of this "Wall of Sound," I braced myself. 4 minutes in, the crescendo comes, and if you don't know the song, you do think it's going to end. People started applauding as if the song was just over. Little did they know the song had only just found it's true force and for three more minutes they would be standing in this Sea of Red noise and devastating symphonic glory. Haji, pounding on his bass with a drumstick, James creating fire on his guitar, the strobe light kicking in to give the whole thing this other-worldly atmosphere. And that's when it hit me. As the waves of this brute force pounded me from the stage, I was overcome with an electric-spiritual force which surged through my body and woke me up to the core. I would not be the same person again. Something hit me that night, and I wasn't sure what it was, but I most certainly wanted to find out.

(Story to be continued....)

Pitman
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Pitman » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:01 pm

After the show, the band headed off stage. I moved off to the left. Just then Yuki came out through the door and I called her name, but she didn't hear me and proceeded to a corner of the bar. I Then noticed she and the band were selling T-shirts, CD's and posters. I moved over behind the throng of people and awaited my turn to purchase a poster and CD. As I got closer to Yuki, I was becoming more infatuated with her beauty. Finally, it was my turn. I told her how thankful I was that she was in Toronto and asked about her Montreal experience where they played the night before. I got her to sign my CD. Then I shook her hand and asked her to come back to Toronto soon.

I left the bar.

Heading home, I was in a bit of a daze from the music and from Yuki's beauty. I was smitten in a bad way.

Home at 1:15 in the morning, and I had to wake up for work at 5:45 AM..well, that's 4 hours of sleep at least.

The next day at work, I could not get Asobi Seku's music out of my mind. I really wanted to see them again, but it could be a long time before I did. They were to play in Detroit this night...could I do it? Could I find a way to get off work, catch a 5 hour bus to Detroit, just to see them play a 45 minute set in a dingy bar? The powerful experience I had the night before could not be denied. But could I relive it? Was I chasing a phantom?

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#3 Post by burgundy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:39 pm

I didn't know there were in Toronto. The 'Shoe is a great place though.

So what happened? Did you go to Rock City?
With intensity.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pitman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:40 pm

That morning at work I pondered the possibility of taking off work and hopping on a bus to Detroit. I'd never done anything like this on a whim. There was a bus leaving at 12:30PM which I could catch if I left work around 10AM. All I needed to do was get some US currency, a camera, get home to pack a few things and make it to the bus depot.

Well, I mentioned this to a couple of co-workers and they were so positive about me doing something so spontaneous, they were excited for me. So, I did it.

I left work in a whirlwind....got home to back a few things...and started writing in a journal to document the journey. I was stepping out of my comfort zone. I was back on the subway and heading to the bus depot. I was one stop away from where I needed to go when a horrible thought came to me....I had forgotten my ID documents. There was no way I was going to make that bus. My heart sank. Could I still get there in time to see Asobi?

Pitman
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Pitman » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:52 pm

Here's a picture or Yuki at the Horseshoe in Toronto. Isn't she gorgeous? I think so. And she writes some damn good material too!

Pitman
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Pitman » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:04 pm

So I got back home in 20 minutes and started to frantically figure out a way to get to Detroit for the show. I looked at trains, then busses again. There was another bus leaving at 2:30 to arrive 8:30 that eve. This would be my last chance...

I did make that bus and was on my way to Motor City. I took the 5 hours of travel time to start keeping a journal of my feelings around this trip. After all, this was something I had never done before on such short notice. Get up and go to "Murder City" to see a short performance. And from what people were telling me at work...don't hang out in the bus depot too long. Ok, got it.

I made it through US customs not without some interregation mind you. Although I had absolutely nothing to hide, still these american guys at the border made me nervous.

I got off the bus and walked through the small, grotty terminal. Yeah, this was not a place I would want to hang out. Lots of shady characters there. Outside I flagged down a taxi. "Take me to Lager House," I said. The driver had no clue where that was. I had to dig up an address for him. "Oh, it's just down the street. You can walk it." Well, good...that was good fortune.

I got to the bar...man, was this a small, grungy place compared to the Horseshoe. Sitting at the bar at 9 o'clock I was asking myself what the hell was I doing here. I noticed everyone was drinking Pabst Blue Ribben. I couldn't figure out why. I ordered a Harp on tap.

45 minutes later, the band walked in carrying their gear. They were making a rather late entrance. They would have to set up and not even get the chance to do a sound check. Something was telling me not to expect the same high I got from the Toronto concert.

Then, in walked Yuki lugging her fair share of gear. She passed by several times before I found an opportunity to approach her and say hello. I was curious if she would have remembered me from the night before.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:41 pm

Yuki is gorgeous, and her voice is too

Pitman
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Pitman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:56 pm

I said hello to her just outside the bar and said I had come from Toronto to see their show. She didn't remember me, but she was very sweet. I bought a T-shirt from her and gave her a Thank-You card. My interaction with Yuki was brief, as I didn't want to come off as some creepy stalker type. But, I really wanted to spend more time with her.

Before the show, I had an opportunity to speak to a couple of the band members. I had an interesting conversation with Haji, the bass player. He recounted how on their last tour the van broke down in California and the engine needed to be totally replaced. Needless to say, they did have to cancel a few shows then. He also commented on how the band was a little under the weather and not to expect the same quality of show as Toronto. Man, I don't know how they do it. Travel everyday, in a new city everyday. They do it all themselves too. Set up their gear, play, tear it down, and off to find a place to sleep for the night. Then hours of driving to get to the next venue.

The first band took the stage and performed while Asobi Seksu were in the other room eating pizza. I was glad when it was show time. I was getting a little anxious because I had nowhere to stay that night, and the last bus back to Toronto was 1 AM. Asobi didn't take the stage until midnight.

The Lager House has a very small stage. I was right up at the front with my newly bought throw-away camera (which took really crappy indoor pictures as it turned out). Asobi finished setting up, decorating the stage with their ornamental lights. They started their set, and the noise pounded into me like an old friend. I noticed all the musicians were wearing earplugs to protect their ears. In hindsight, I could have used some. The decibal level was louder than anything I had ever experienced. The fact that the room was encased in bricks and narrow only amplified the reverberation.

As the set grew to a close, only 45 minutes in, they started playing Red Sea. This is my favourite song on the CD because halfway into the song, it climaxes as if ending....and this climactic wall of sound continues for another 3 minutes....it's so original, like nothing I had ever heard before.

As the song ended, I rushed out of the bar without a chance to say goodbye to the band, and ran to the bus depot. I caught the bus with only a minute to spare.

I have to say, this Detroit trip to see Asobi Seksu was one of the best experiences I've ever had. It just goes to show me how being spontaneous can be so rewarding. Although the show itself wasn't as technically polished as the Toronto show, I did get to spend more time with the band, and this in itself was worth the price of admission - $5.

Pitman
Suntory Time

Pics from Detroit

#9 Post by Pitman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:06 pm

Asobi Seksu take the stage:

James Hanna on guitar showing off his back:

Yuki in her zone:

Playing Red Sea as Yuki rocks out and Haji uses a drumstick on his bass to create a Wall of Sound:

Check out their music at:

www.asobiseksu.com

Pitman
Suntory Time

#10 Post by Pitman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Please check out the Citrus review here:

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/reviews/a ... citrus.htm

(Oh...I didn't realize this pics were too big for the screen....)

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#11 Post by preciouswhile » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:39 pm

I saw them when they were in Seattle on Sept 30, but for some reason they played an early show (doors at 5pm) and I didn't realize it (or, more likely, I forgot). I was fully intending to just get there at 9 or 10. Luckily I didn't quite remember where the venue was so I looked it up online at about 8pm. Saw the door time and realized that they were probably already playing and jumped into the car, made it downtown in record time, and parked illegaly so I would be close.

Unfortunately they had already started, and I only caught the last 4 or 5 songs plus encore. But what a show that was. The wall of sound you're referring to was exactly what I had been waiting for, and I'm pretty sure I had a big dumb grin on my face the entire time (and I couldn't quite hear very well out of my left ear afterwards :o )

I was very surprised to see them selling their own merch; it was a nice touch because I was able to voice my appreciation and enjoyment without being intrusive.

I almost did what you did and took a trip down to Portland to see them the next night, but ended up not.

As for the PBR, welcome to America I guess?

An aside: I also saw Phoenix that same week, and yet again had the chance to show that I can't dance but will anyway when Too Young is played :P

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#12 Post by tsooml » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:00 am

I like my music written by dead people, but I admit she looks pretty delishified.
Last edited by tsooml on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

Re: Asobi Seksu

#13 Post by Suntory » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:39 am

Pitman wrote:ASOBI SEKSU
thing this other-worldly atmosphere. And that's when it hit me. As the waves of this brute force pounded me from the stage, I was overcome with an electric-spiritual force which surged through my body and woke me up to the core. I would not be the same person again. Something hit me that night, and I wasn't sure what it was, but I most certainly wanted to find out.
(Story to be continued....)
There are probably (perhaps) quite a few people on this board myself included who can
relate to such as experience having had similer themselves. Either
in a similer setting or something else that kicks off the visceral yet spiritual almost
religious response.

There is such an experience in the yogic circles, the guru devotees who are told
that this awakening is the result of being exposed to an enlightened
master, a guru, who awakens their kundalini, the force of energy
that once awakened can lead to enlightenment. I have heard of people
describing similer experiences in those circumstances. I have been there
and seen it happen.

Anyway it seems to me that when it's a band that does this to people
or person those affected become bound and obsessed with them
in a way that more spiritual and religious rather than "stalkerish" if
you know what I mean. The band, a group of individuals not just one guru
who act as one working a magic that has the same effect on people that a
guru might. When I got out of college there was a band that I followed around
locally for a year for similer reasons.
Living in modern society the way we do there isn't much that passes for
awakening experiences anymore that primitive peoples worked into
community and cultural life on a more regular basis.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#14 Post by Suntory » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:54 am

Pitman
Suntory Time

#15 Post by Pitman » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:09 am

Drab, cool!! Good thing you saw them. They have a lot of fans in Toronto, and Haji said they would probably come back here soon sometime. Can't wait. I think though, I'll probably take a trip to New York to see them play since it's their hometown and they probably have their best shows there with the greatest fan support.

Suntory, I posted a reply to yours but it seems to have been wiped out. Yes, I know exactly what you're saying...I practice Yoga, and meditation and spent time at an ashram where the Guru used to project his Shakti onto his followers. Quite the experience!

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#16 Post by burgundy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:35 pm

Good story Pitman. Glad you went for it.

Why not start up a fan site for them?
With intensity.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#17 Post by Pitman » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:30 pm

Burgundy...I would if I was internet savvy...but, alas...i know very little about websites...let alone being a webmaster or starting up a fan-based website...sounds like too much work...otherwise, i'd go for it....

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#18 Post by burgundy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:10 pm

Putting a site up is a lot easier than it used to be. The software does most of it now. You don't even need to know html any more.

You can even put up a free hosted site from yahoo geocities. Check it out on the yahoo.ca page.
With intensity.