Go Bears!

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

Go Bears!

#1 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:49 pm

I know several people on this board are definitely NOT (American) football fans, but I am - and I'm very pumped up for this Sunday night's nationally televised game between last year's NFC Champion Seattle Seahawks and the Chicago Bears - to be played in Chicago. (7:00pm Central Time, NBC). Both teams are undefeated (3-0).

If you tune in, you'll get to see some of the beuaty of Chicago (though it will be pretty dark even at kickoff) - they usually have remote shots as they go into or out of commercial. And of course there will likely be a blimp providing sklyline shots. There will be a few buildings that will have "Go Bears" or something similar lit up by having certain blinds open or closed, including a large red building near the stadium and near Buckingham Fountain. (If you've ever seen the opening of the old show Married With Children you may remember that fountain and maybe even the red building I'm talking about.)

I've been going to Bears' games pretty regularly since the late 60s; but I'm not going to this game (I'm getting too old to get up fro work the moring after a night game). My oldest son will be going with a friend (but not his girlfriend - he took her to an exhibition game and he said she talked through the whole game. He cares for her a lot I know, but that was an indication that going to an important game would create a conflict!)

And speaking of my oldest son - he's heading back to NYC this fall. He and a friend are going for a few days to see the Bears play the Jets. (Their other trip there they saw the Yankees play the White Sox.)
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#2 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:32 am

I love the skyline shots of citys shown during night football games. I didn't get to see all of the game (Was glued to Walk the Line on HBO) but i did get a good glimpse of Marina City (Isn't that the name of the amazing corncob looking towers?) and saw a slight glimpse of one of my favourite buildings there, The Palmolive building.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:10 am

Hi Lemon - good to hear from you again!

Yes - the twin high rises by the river are known as MArina City; pretty old now (built in the 60s I think) but when they first opened they were considered "futuristic". There have been a couple of moies that showed cars driving off one of the lower floors (whcih are parking garages for the residents) into the Chicago River.

The Palmolive Building is very old - and was actually the Playboy building for many years. Not usre what it's called now - I'll have ot look it up. It used to have a beacon that swept through the sky at night as a warning to planes. Long after it outlived its purpose, it still was used. But after many more high rise buildings much taller were built, the light began to shine inside those buildings and finally they had to turn it off for good.

You certainly know a lot about architecture in Chicago (and I suspect in many major cities.)

By the way, I enjoyed Walk the Line - I thought the performances were very good. I was a bit put off I must admit by it being yet another star who "needs" drugs to handle success - but that WAS the fact and it was portrayed well I guess. The connection he felt towards June Carter was the best part of the movie for me.

The building I spoke of was shown late in the game - with Go Bears lit up on the front and a Bear's head (That actually looked more like a Cubs' head) on the side.

Great game - they dominated much more than anyone coudl have expected. This may be a special year for them.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:54 pm

I really like the look of Marina City. Didn't someone on a tv show live there? Bob Newhart? Not really live there, but on tv they did. Ah, you know what i mean. Those towers are very space age, very me.
I love the Palmolive building! It's probably one of my most favourite buildings there. I have an old postcard of it with the beacon light. It's back to being referred to (By the developers atleast, they're hoping the name catches on again) as the Palmolive building. They've gutted it, and it's residential. For a few million one can have an entire floor to themselves.
I liked the movie, i've read his books before, and there was so much more to it all than what was in the movie, but they wanted the movie to focus on his relationship with June.
Funny you mention the Bears head that looked like a Cubs head, i was going to bring that up. Maybe they just have one design to use and they hope to pass it off as both a Bears head, and a Cubs head?
Are you a Cubs fan? Have you seen that new HBO documentary about them? It's pretty touching.
I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I hope the Bears have a good year!

Congruous
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Congruous » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:24 pm

If the Bears can keep Grossman healthy, they could do well this year. As Georgia fan, I got to see a lot of Grossman while he was at Florida and he is a tenacious competitor. Chicago always has a great defense, but the last few years they couldn't always put points on the board.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#6 Post by lemoncupcake » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:45 pm

I hope they keep him healthy. He had a good career at Florida, i thought he'd get the Heisman one year but that guy from Nebraska (Sorry, can't remember his name) ended up with it. He does have a greatly competitive spirit, something i felt previous Florida Quarterbacks (Matthews, Wuerffel) lacked a bit but that's just my opinion. As for Matthews i thought he'd do better in the NFL than what he did. I can't believe i remember this stuff.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by 52FM » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am

Thanks for the update on Palmolive Building. I do seem to remember reading about it turning into a residential building. It's amazing how many downtown office buildings are converting to residential. Several on Michigan Avenue overlooking Millenium Park. It's also amazing that there are so many people willing and able to shell out so much money for an apratment (most start at $500,000 and go up very quickly from there.

Bob Newhart (supposedly) worked in an office near Marina City (actually on Michigan Avenue near the Wrigley Building, across fromt he Tribun Tower. He supposedly lived in a high rise near Loyola University on Sheridan Road - near the border of Chicago and Evanston.

Everyone in Chicago is very happily shocked about Grossman's ability. Part of it was the fear of overhype from his college career - having been disappointed with Shane Matthews, who also played for the Bears for a while. Plus Rex had a bad preseason, and for a while had people thinking Brian Griese should start.

There was a sign in the stands that said "Dear Rex - we're sorry about all the bad stuff we said about you."

He still has a mentality that means he will make a several head-shaking mistakes as the year goes on - but his throws have a lot of strength and accuracy. So it's just as important that the offensive line stays healthy.

I didn't realize you were a football fan, Lemon.

And Congruous - the last few years that they couldn't put points on the board is probably at least since the Super Bowl year in 1985!

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by 52FM » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:38 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention:
I am a Cubs fan, but less so than I used to be. In 2003, as I'm sure the HBO documentary shows, they came within 5 outs of making the World Series. Then a fan reached for a foul ball, the outfileder blew his cool thinking it cost them an out (it may have, but maybe not). The rookie phenom pitcher lost it as well, the laid back manager sat on his rear and did NOTHING - didn't go out to calm the rookie pitcher down and tell the outfield to quit jumping up and down - after all, it was a foul ball - which means at least it was a strike). And the Cubs blew the lead and the game, and then lost the next game and their shot at the World Series.

So they failed to make the playoffs the next season - and the manager in part blamed the broadcaster Steve Stone - who pointed out their shortcomings but still firmly bleeived they'd make the playoffs.

The next two seasons were losing ones - and the manager got fired this past Monday.

The Cubs will hit 100 years without a WS win in two years. They were always known as "lovable losers", but after 2003 they will just be known as "losers".

The manager was low class enough to blame that fan - Steve Bartman - for losing that game. Come on - they FIVE OUTS away. Get off your butt - calm down the pitcher - or take him out if he can't calm down.

In the media room, he should not be so low class as to blame a FAN; that man's life was RUINED - he had to move out of Chicago becuase of the infamy.

The Cubs over the years have become very "trendy"; the neighborhood is a haven for young professionals - a lot of popular bars and restaurants in the area they now call "Wrigleyville". The ballpark is a throwback to the old days of baseball - and people for years would go there to socialize and be seen - and not watch the game. I stopped going more than maybe once a year becuae it was maddening to see people go the entire game talking and drinking and not have a clue what the score was.

Wrigley Field became known as the city's biggest bar with a ball game as it's entertainment.

And the organization loved it - sell outs year after year no matter how poorly the team did. While the White Sox across town woudl at least TRY to make the playoffs - and be lucky to average 20,000 fans. Until they actually won the World Series.

So after 2003, and after the White Sox won, the quaintness and cuteness wore off - at least for real baseball fans.

No, I haven't seen the documentary - and in honesty - though I'm sure it's well done - I don't really care to. The problem is clear - it's an organization that really never planned to win - and then strangely almost did. And now that the Red Sox and White Sox have - and they get ready for the 100 year anniversary - a sense of panic is clear. The president resigned (doubtless he didn't want to be around for it) and a MARKETING guy took over! I guess so he can spin the 100 years of futility to be a positive somehow.

They will hire a new manager - but the image of the futility will overcome him as it has all the mangers before him. The pressure of winning after so many years of losing has to be too great to overcome. It simply may never happen.

OK - that was purging my "demons" over the last couple of years. (And arent' you glad you asked, Lemon? lol) I don't follow the Cubs much anymore; I'm not much of a baseball fan anymore - though I was honestly happy for the White Sox and disappointed they didn't make the playoffs (despite winning 90 games) this year.

edit: Apparently Bartman still lives in Chicago; the rumors of him moving are not true - according to a piece written not long ago by ESPN; a reporter found his place of work and talked to him in the company parking lot. Though annoyed, Bartman was pleasant enough and essentially just asked to be left alone (and referred to his "legal team" - perhaps hinting that he would sue for harassment. It's amazing that he was able to keep out of the spotlight - and I think a testament to the local media to leave him alone.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#9 Post by Congruous » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:53 pm

What you say about the Bears offense is true...the names that come to mind are Payton and then Sayers. Or maybe I'm just old school.

I'm assuming the Cubs will hire Girardi.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#10 Post by 52FM » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:00 pm

If they hire Girardi - I almost hope they come out and admit they need to start rebuilding. He did a good job in Florida with a very small payroll and I suspect he will be a great manager one day. I jsut think the clock ticking towards 100 years has to be defused somehow.

And yes - the Bears were always great defense Butkus, Singletary, Hampton) and great running backs. From Red Grange and Bronco Nagurski to Sayers and Payton.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#11 Post by lemoncupcake » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:32 pm

I watched a developer cringe and correct someone for calling the building the "Playboy" building on tv. Supposeofly Hefner pretty much gutted the place when he first got it which angred some Historians, apparently the original building interiors were spectacular.
I am glad i asked about the Cubs :) You'd write an amazingly good Letter to the Editor on this topic. Ever thought of that?
It is a good documentary though, was made enjoyable for even Non-Cubs fans.
I've seen the same sort of thing at Phillies and Yankee games. A bunch of people partying, clueless about the score, or the statistics of whomever is at the bat.
Matthews was definitely overhyped, especially considering he didn't even make the draft.
Anytime i hear Sayers, i think of that movie

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#12 Post by 52FM » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:02 am

"That Movie" being Brian's Song. One of the only movies that men can freely admit they cry while watching. Hell, I can't hear the theme music without tearing up. I met Brian Piccolo at a sport's night at our church when I was a teenager. A very funny man - when I was that age it never occured to me that football players coudl be funny. I'm glad the Bears retired his number (41). I actually think of him whenever I see that number, just like I think of Walter Payton when I see the number 34.

The remake was OK - it did a better job of showing how much he suffered. Plus, since George Halas was still alive when the first one wa made, they could not show the fact that he paid all the medical bills and set up trusts for Piccolo's three daughters to have a college education. The remake showed all of that. Halas made Brian's wife Joy promise to never reveal that while he was alive - it went against his "mean SOB" personna he wanted to maintain.

The Bears hold a charity golf outing every year named after Brian Piccolo. It is always well attended and Joy and her daughters are always very greatful for them keeping Brian's name alive - and not just to the new Bears players. Each year, they give a rookie and a veteran player a Brian Piccolo award - to theplayer that best exemplifies Piccolos hard work effic and hsi sense fo humor. It's consider the biggest honor a Bear's player can acheive within the team. It used to be just for rookies, but they recently added a veteran each year at the player's insistence - so all players had a chance to win any year.

The Bears - being one of the original NFL teams dating back to 1920 - have a lot of tradition and I'm happy that try to keep that alive in many ways. This year the coaches have taken to wearing ballcaps with a script letter B on it - these were caps the coaches wore when I was growing up and got interested in football. I had one myself and bought one for my oldest son when he was little. He went out and bought one this year. It's sort of a link from my father to me to him.

It's a strange game - way too violent at times, and yet the only sport I can think of where every player on the field - both sides - has a role to fulfill on every single play. The strategy aspect and teamwork aspect is very important - and in my mind makes up for the unfortunate risk of injury. At leat the new commissoner took a stand on violence outside the flow of the game by suspending the player that ripped open an opponents head with his cleats. I think he shoudl have gooten a years suspension - but I suspect he will be cut and out of football - since it's coming out that he has a history of unprovoked attacks.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#13 Post by Congruous » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:48 pm

In today's Atlanat paper, one of the Falcons offensive linemen who used to play for the Titans said that he had been attacked by Haynesworth several times in practice. He said that once he knocked down Haynesworth in a blocking drill and Haynesworth jumped up and kicked him in the chest.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#14 Post by 52FM » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:00 pm

I saw that info too on either CNN or ESPN's sites. Hayneworth is done in the NFL. He would be better off being cut - because you know that his first game back he will subjected to blocking that will be a bit more "vigorous" than normal.