I got a new painting today!

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

I got a new painting today!

#1 Post by I65 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:27 pm

I am very good friends on another messageboard with an artist. I enjoyed his work for quite awhile before we became friends, and wanted to purchase one of his paintings, or commission one done. Once I received my inheritence, I decided to do both.

Today I received the first, a painting of his I fell in love with. Here are a couple of images. It is called "Money in the Mail". He made the frame as well.

Please ignore the shabby house keeping, the maid is on vacation. :P

Bob_san
Site Admin

#2 Post by Bob_san » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:54 am

Nice!

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by I65 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:57 am

Bob_san wrote:Nice!
Thanks. I was hoping it would stir up some discussion of what the painting represents, but I guess not. Oh well. :P It's a bit of a psychological piece.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by 52FM » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:52 pm

I'm ususally decent to good at seeing irony or absurdity or things out of place, but I had trouble with this one. The immediate was all the money in midst of a simple breakfast of toast and coffee. Perhaps added with getting bills in the mail (not sure what the the letters are). Am I close at all?
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#5 Post by hull_street » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:34 am

No doubt that Christmas came early for this guy. He's not doing very well financially, as the rolling papers and loose tobacco indicate (which also bring to mind the image of a single male, bolstered by the absence of a second place-setting across the table). But at least he has electricity, since he can toast his bread. He is right-handed, given the positioning of the coffee cup. He is Canadian (or his mysterious benefactor is), if I read the money correctly. There are a few things missing though, like butter for the bread, and there's no ashtray. Well, maybe he can go out and get himself some strawberry jam now :)

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#6 Post by I65 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:12 am

hull_street wrote:No doubt that Christmas came early for this guy. He's not doing very well financially, as the rolling papers and loose tobacco indicate (which also bring to mind the image of a single male, bolstered by the absence of a second place-setting across the table). But at least he has electricity, since he can toast his bread. He is right-handed, given the positioning of the coffee cup. He is Canadian (or his mysterious benefactor is), if I read the money correctly. There are a few things missing though, like butter for the bread, and there's no ashtray. Well, maybe he can go out and get himself some strawberry jam now :)
That's homemade chokecherry jelly in the jar. :wink:

He did go out and buy some butter though... :P

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by I65 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:21 am

52FM wrote:I'm ususally decent to good at seeing irony or absurdity or things out of place, but I had trouble with this one. The immediate was all the money in midst of a simple breakfast of toast and coffee. Perhaps added with getting bills in the mail (not sure what the the letters are). Am I close at all?
After I gave him my first interpretation of it, similar to what hull street said, he told me that everyone focuses on the money. They are unable to see past that box of cash.

The first time I saw that painting, it was the lonliness of it that hit me the hardest.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by 52FM » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:30 am

Lonliness yes, but it's much more than meets the eye. The cash came from somewhere or someone. Earned, won, whatever. Of course, the risk of sending cash in the mail is a factor as well; usually that's associated with some type of illegal activity.

But I suspect that is looking at it in the wrong direction. From your comments, it sounds like it's the commentary that money isn't everything.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by I65 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:32 pm

52FM wrote:Lonliness yes, but it's much more than meets the eye. The cash came from somewhere or someone. Earned, won, whatever. Of course, the risk of sending cash in the mail is a factor as well; usually that's associated with some type of illegal activity.

But I suspect that is looking at it in the wrong direction. From your comments, it sounds like it's the commentary that money isn't everything.
That's the part I like most about art, and pieces such as this. So many different ways to interpret it.

He never volunteered where the money came from, and I didn't ask. :shock:

I looked at it more as symbolic, rather than actual cash arriving in the mail.

And back to the lonliness, what do you take of the letter, addressed to Mr. and Mrs....

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#10 Post by 52FM » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:42 pm

I wondered about the letter, and what the papers are underneath it. But I couldn't read what it said (maybe I need to save the jpg and zoom in more). Is the letter somethign to be mailed or was it received?

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by I65 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:48 pm

52FM wrote:I wondered about the letter, and what the papers are underneath it. But I couldn't read what it said (maybe I need to save the jpg and zoom in more). Is the letter somethign to be mailed or was it received?

It has a postmark, so it was received. The last name and address match that on the box of money as well. Details that are easier seen on the original of course.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#12 Post by 52FM » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:09 am

Even when I blow it up it's too grainy to see the details. So the more I think the more a story unfolds. Two stacks are taken out of the box; the money stacks fit exactly in the box. So is that exactly how much money the receipient is to get, or is there more coming? Or is it that he/she/they got as much as the box coudl hold? If the sender had a bigger or smaller box, it woudl be a different amount?

And where is the recipient? He/she opened the box and took out two stacks and then... Fainted? Went to make a phone call? The polica broke in and arrested him/her? Pulled out a canvas and paint and brushes and decided to capture the scene?

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. It must be exciting to own an original piece of art, especially from a good friend - making it all the more special.

Curious as to what you are having commisioned? Something with a Moonflower or Elvish theme perhaps?

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by I65 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:12 am

52FM wrote:Even when I blow it up it's too grainy to see the details. So the more I think the more a story unfolds. Two stacks are taken out of the box; the money stacks fit exactly in the box. So is that exactly how much money the receipient is to get, or is there more coming? Or is it that he/she/they got as much as the box coudl hold? If the sender had a bigger or smaller box, it woudl be a different amount?

And where is the recipient? He/she opened the box and took out two stacks and then... Fainted? Went to make a phone call? The polica broke in and arrested him/her? Pulled out a canvas and paint and brushes and decided to capture the scene?

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. It must be exciting to own an original piece of art, especially from a good friend - making it all the more special.

Curious as to what you are having commisioned? Something with a Moonflower or Elvish theme perhaps?
A scene with me and my grandfather, but only the back of me. He will be the focus.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#14 Post by 52FM » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:39 pm

"A scene with me and my grandfather, but only the back of me. He will be the focus."

That is absolutely beautiful!

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#15 Post by I65 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:45 pm

I can't wait to get it. :D

Seeing how my grandfather lived his life, I thought this painting would make a good companion piece to the commissioned work.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#16 Post by 52FM » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Now I get the significance of the box of money painting to you. A frugal lifestyle in the midst of wealth. I should have seen that myself. Very appropriate.