Super Bears

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

Super Bears

#1 Post by 52FM » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:53 pm

I haven't said anything about my Bears here - but it's jsut a few days away and I'm psyched! Went to the NFC Championship game with my older son (in his 20s) and we had a great time! Best game I ever went to (and I've had season tickets for most of the last 30 years. With the snow falling and the bright lights on, one writer said it was like being in a giant snowglobe. That described it. We shared several hugs during the game as they pulled away - and I even saw him crying. He never said it - but I know from things he said that he dreamed of being with me when the Bears won the game taking them to the SB. He was too young to remember '85)

Anyway, here are a couple of picures of Chicago; the lions are in front of the Chicago Art Institute, and the building that says "Go Bears" is where I work.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Pitman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:55 am

GO COLTS!!! Peyton Manning rules.

:twisted:

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:27 pm

I was optimistic up until this morning. But I now fully expect the Bears to lose. It was a fun season, but all good things come to an end.

But maybe I'm wrong - that's why they play the game.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pockets » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:25 pm

So do you have tickets for the game? If so, don't get frostbite!

I'm not a sports fan. While I don't mind watching a game or two of any sport, I can't stand the attitudes of the die-hard fans. A few years back, drunken Pats fans broke some older lady's arm just because she was wearing the wrong team jacket. And the Pats management never apologized or did anything for her. Then when the Red Sox won the World Series, the fans got out of control and trashed Kenmore Square. Not only that, but I hate when anyone thinks that they are better than someone else because "their" team won the championship. So life is much mellower when my hometown teams aren't on a winning streak. I like the disappointed fans subdues and meek.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by 52FM » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Well, Pockets - the SuperBowl is always played in a site determined long in advnace - usually a warm weather place (this year it's Miami) or sometimes a cold weather city that has a dome.

They have a lottery for season ticket holders but there are only about 10,000 available; I didn't win. We would have sold our tickets to a broker if we did (they are $500-$700 each and are selling for many times that.)

I know what you mean about fans getting nuts; it happens all over. I see several games every year - used to be every game when I was in my 20s-30s; always enjoyed good natured bantering with other fnas and never saw anything violent (a lot of "drunk-fights" but having nothing to do with a fan from another team.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Pockets » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:50 pm

For baseball, the minor league games are more fun to attend. And my boyfriend and his friends enjoy watching high school and collegiate ice hockey games. It's just less commercial and intense. Although, one high school team had fans that were throwing trash and golf balls on the ice when their team was losing. The game was cancelled and the other team got the win.

Good sportsmanship is an old fashioned concept that is fast fading away.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:28 am

It's so cool you got to have an experience like that with you son! Those memories last a lifetime. I had one like that with my Dad at a GP a few years ago.
A silly building question for you. One of my books states that the building has 44 floors, another states 36, which one is correct?

Pockets
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Pockets » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:21 am

lemoncupcake wrote: had one like that with my Dad at a GP a few years ago.
GP=Grand Prix?

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#9 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:03 am

GP=Grand Prix?
Yep :)

Pitman
Suntory Time

#10 Post by Pitman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:54 am

I just hope it's a good competitive game. Not a blow-out.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by 52FM » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Lemon - 44 is correct. Our company own the building next to us to the north and also the one to the east (now being rennovated into high priced condos overlooking Millenium Park and Lake Michigan. Both of those buildings are shorter than the Red building (which was painted that color because the chairman at the time enjoyed the way the sunset reflected off the downtown buildings). Anyway, one of those is probably 36 floors.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#12 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:56 pm

Thank You! I like how it looks that way too. There's some gorgeous photos of it in some of my architecture books.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#13 Post by Flyonthewall » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:51 am

I'm always for the underdog, which in this case seems to be the Bears. But... a Superbowl win could cement Manning's place in Canton later on.

*shrug* I dunno.. I think it'll be a helluva game tho.
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....