Are You Successful Yet??

Are you awake?! Can't sleep?! Remember, for relaxing times, make it Suntory time at the New York Bar with stunning Tokyo views!

Moderator: Bob

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Are You Successful Yet??

#1 Post by phillygalinutah » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:03 am

Bear with me...this post isn't Bill-related, but I wanted to share this, and get fellow board member thoughts. Bill Murray seems to have ideas on success not in line with what Hollywood expects, so I think my post is appropriate discussion.

Today, I had an interesting email from my supervisor. I am a DoD field logistics support rep. My supervisor sent an email to his field reps, including me, to inform him on what we needed from him in order to be successful.

Hmmm ...a very open-ended question. From the narrow perspective, my supervisor may be referring to job skill needs and training I desire to continue to perform my job or to gain a promoton.

But it's funny - all I could think was - what creates success?? Is it something we define ourselves, or it something we allow others to define for us? is it ours, or does it belong to someone else?

Well, I woke up healthy, well-fed, living in a lovely home, and loved and needed by my hubby and three children. That's successful!

I woke up knowing that as much as the power of censorship is alive and well,, I can express myself freely on boards like this one without fear of arrest (at least for the moment ).

I do feel very blessed in all the things that reallly count, and give thanks for these things every day.

So tell me, are you successful yet :?:
"Everyone wants to be found"

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

Re: Are You Successful Yet??

#2 Post by Suntory » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:08 pm

phillygalinutah wrote: Hmmm ...a very open-ended question. From the narrow perspective, my supervisor may be referring to job skill needs and training I desire to continue to perform my job or to gain a promoton.
I would imagine so! I read job advice columns in the newspaper and they talk about
this one. Chances are over time what you need to be succsessful at work will change
so it will need to be a continuing dialogue.

But it's funny - all I could think was - what creates success?? Is it something we define ourselves, or it something we allow others to define for us? is it ours, or does it belong to someone else?
Well, I woke up healthy, well-fed, living in a lovely home, and loved and needed by my hubby and three children. That's successful!
Yes well you defined it for yourself and in the domestic category. I think in each
area of our lives we have different criteria for success.
I think yes there is one's own criteria, then other people's or someone else's.
So if you arent clear on what yours are, you will end up keeping up with the Jones' :)
which of course are the Jones' idea of success!
So you be the Jones' that everyone else has to keep up with!

:shock:
I woke up knowing that as much as the power of censorship is alive and well,, I can express myself freely on boards like this one without fear of arrest (at least for the moment ).
How many MILLIONS of sites would "they" have to monitor? It would be
impossible!
I think the only "police" monitoring this board would be the film geek :twisted: police
and even then I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry!
So tell me, are you successful yet :?:
In some ways yes and others not as much but I'm working on it!

Azshi
Evelyn Waugh

#3 Post by Azshi » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:34 pm

I think success is a subjective thing defined by motivation and intended audience. If I work on a painting purely for myself, only my own satisfaction can bring success. If someone were to make a movie for a niche audience and it was poorly received by a mass audience, the film could be successful if the niche audience appreciated it.

Of course subjective success has absolutely no connection to commercial success...

Regardless, yeah I'd say I'm successful at this point in my life. Kampai!