Major Forum Upgrade from v2.x to v3.1 - PLEASE READ!!

News and updates regarding the site and forum as well as your questions and comments.

Moderator: Bob

Bob_san
Site Admin

Major Forum Upgrade from v2.x to v3.1 - PLEASE READ!!

#1 Post by Bob_san » Fri May 06, 2016 2:43 am

For the first time in 12 years (the whole existence of) the forum software has had a major upgrade. Regular visitors please read!
This was necessary due to my web host upgrading PHP and the old forum software no longer working. However while I/we will miss the old style, the new software provides more features including the ability to once again have new themes! All of the posts, images, avatars etc. and PMs from the old forum were transferred. If you find any problems please email, PM me, or reply to this post so I can look into it and get it fixed, thanks!! I am also hoping that new user registration will go a lot easier in addition to new anti-spam measures.

Look around the user control panel and elsewhere for new features. You can read more here:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.1/ug/userguide/

The new default theme/style for the forum is called "prosilver". The old default theme was called "subsilver". Prosilver is very similar in colors but they made some formating changes. It takes a little getting used to. You can use a theme called "subsilver2" which is almost identical to the old theme. The only problem with is that it does not support a number of addons I have integrated into the forum. Instead you can use one called "AllanStyle-SUBSILVER-BLUE" which is based on prosilver but retains most of the features of subsilver and supports all the addons. Many of the new themes will resize to fit different size devices.

I have added a few additional features which are only supported by some themes. Unfortunately there is no "Like" addon. I was hoping to add something like that so people could see who read/liked their post/reply.

New Addons (extensions)
I have added the following extensions:
Shoutbox/chat
Activity in the last 24 hours
Left side profile switcher (the default is now on the right (which I changed back to the left with this ext, however somewhere in the UCP you are supposed to be able to select which you prefer)

New Chat function
The only chat function I could find to add to the forum to replace the old one is called a "shoutbox", and it lives at the bottom of the main page after all the main topic areas. This is nice because you don't have to open a separate window. However it is only supported by a few of the themes. So if you want to get involved in a group chat with other members, you must use those themes which I will list below.

Supported Themes
These are the themes which support all addons. You may use the other themes but the addons will either not show up or appear unformatted.
prosilver
AllanStyle-SUBSILVER
AllanStyle-SUBSILVER-BLUE
AllanStyle-ShadowGlow
prosilver Special Edition

Language Packs
Currently the only language pack is English. We have a global membership so if there another language you would like me to add to make forum use easier please let me know!

Issues
If your password does not work on initial login, it may not have transferred over. You will need to reset it via requesting a new one via the "I forgot my password" function.

If you do not see the picture of Bob and Charlotte in the upper left, press Ctrl+F5 to refresh the cache and it should appear.

Anyway, working on the forum to the LIT soundtrack has put me in the mood to watch it again!

Enjoy and have fun!
The Lost in Translation Fan Site
http://www.weareawake.org

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

Re: Major Forum Upgrade from v2.x to v3.1 - PLEASE READ!!

#2 Post by samwright8380 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:49 am

I'm currently browsing on an android mobile using prosilver and subsilver and everything works fine for me :)

Bob_san
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bob_san » Sat May 07, 2016 2:14 am

samwright8380 wrote:I'm currently browsing on an android mobile using prosilver and subsilver and everything works fine for me :)
That's great to hear, thanks!

I haven't checked yet but some of the themes are "responsive" which means they resize to a mobile device/tablet etc.

Emma
Stocking Lipper

#4 Post by Emma » Mon May 09, 2016 11:35 pm

Browsed the new forum ("prosilver" mode) on both Android mobile and my trusty laptop. Everything looks great. :D

Bob_san
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bob_san » Tue May 10, 2016 1:24 am

Emma wrote:Browsed the new forum ("prosilver" mode) on both Android mobile and my trusty laptop. Everything looks great. :D
Glad to hear it, thanks!

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#6 Post by Cryogenic » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:38 pm

I'm still around; or rather, it seems, I'm back.

Enjoying the new software. And super-relieved the old material is still all here.

Great work. :D

Bob_san
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bob_san » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Cryogenic wrote:I'm still around; or rather, it seems, I'm back.
Enjoying the new software. And super-relieved the old material is still all here.
Great work. :D
Awesome and thanks!