Templates and Avatars

News and updates regarding the site and forum as well as your questions and comments.

Moderator: Bob

Templates and Avatars

#1 Post by Guest » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:39 am

If anyone has suggestions of templates or avatars to use in the forum please post/send me a link or email it to me.

Thanks!
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

There are some avatars now but. . .

#2 Post by Guest » Sat May 01, 2004 11:13 pm

This is the first time I've set up a forum so bear with me.
I figured out how to make the avatars visible and I put some in there.
Hopefully in the next couple days I'll get more in there and organize them better.

I'm also working to add more real content to the site as well.

#3 Post by Guest » Mon May 03, 2004 12:22 pm

There are now about 40 avatars in the LIT category.

Enjoy!

#4 Post by Guest » Wed May 05, 2004 6:52 pm

I added a few new templates.
I changed the default template to Invision Blue which I think is very nice.
If you like to old default you can change it in your profile back to subSilver. Or try another one!

I found a lot of templates at:
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/templates.php

#5 Post by Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:52 pm

There is a bug in the forum code where it does not limit remote avatar size the way it does internal forum avatars. I have installed a fix
for this that limits the size of remote avatars to 125x125. This fixes
the problem of overly large images resizing the forum from it's default.
I have seen forums where this was not fixed and the avatar image took up
half the screen.

jml98
Asleep

#6 Post by jml98 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:19 pm

i don't understand why the size of the avatar has to be 6kb or lower. the resolution is soo bad! I have a picture from a remote gallery that is less thatn 125x125, but its more than 6 kb. Can you change this?

#7 Post by Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:32 pm

I checked the specs of the fix and I dont know why but it checks the parameter for
uploaded avatar file sizes which was set to 6k. Since I dont allow file uploading I dont know why it does that.
I reset the file size to 50k. I'm concerned about users with a slow connection
pulling in any more size than that and slowing receipt of the forum
on their screen.

Currently the image you have set in your profile is 40k and 150x120.

EDIT:
Dont do anything with it yet Im trying some things on the code. . .

UPDATE:
I changed the code and it allows 140x140 and resizes if the dimensions
are larger while keeping the aspect ratio but only if the file is less than 50k.

TADA!!
Last edited by Guest on Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jml98
Asleep

#8 Post by jml98 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:52 pm

Thank you bob! i really do appreciate it.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

New avatars (what the hell is this "avatar" crap)

#9 Post by jm » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:43 am

"Please add these to the gallery, Bob-san.

[img:f0e5b68e96]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/ ... tbill3.jpg[/img:f0e5b68e96]

[img:f0e5b68e96]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/ ... tbill1.jpg[/img:f0e5b68e96]

[img:f0e5b68e96]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/ ... tbill2.jpg[/img:f0e5b68e96]"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#10 Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:07 pm

Will do!

I see you are not Spock. (anymore!) :shock:

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by jm » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:14 am

"[quote:ec6b9e42c7="Bob"]I see you are not Spock. (anymore!) :shock:[/quote:ec6b9e42c7]
Consistency in wallpaper or icons is the hobgoblin of little minds. :lol:"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#12 Post by Guest » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:06 pm

I just added about 30 new icons to the avatar gallery. Many of them thanks to findingcharlotte.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by 52FM » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:24 pm

There are aome great pictures here; Scarlett looks damn cute in so many of them - quite a contrast to her current glammed up phony look as illustrated by the Cosmo cover.

But she still looks 17 to me - sorry; can't help it. I teach 4 college classes at night (actually 4 sectiosn of the same class); every student in each class is older than Scarlett was at the time (in fact most are seniors) and to me they all look it.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#14 Post by mothling » Tue May 09, 2006 1:12 pm

If possible, I'd love to help contribute some templates for the board, though I'm not entirely sure how ti all works.

If I pick myself up a phpbb2 board and get to grips with it all, would it be ok if I developed some templates for it for this board? I could just play around with it all on my own one, then simply copy and paste the coding when done?

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#15 Post by You Make it Easy » Tue May 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Template making for phpbb is pretty simple. Its basicaly images, and a stylesheet. All you have to do is put those two things together in the right directorys and your done. Of course there is the time of create images and writing some coding, but you should be able to put something together fairly easy.
Waiting to be found...

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#16 Post by mothling » Tue May 09, 2006 2:35 pm

I'd love to try and pull something together then. Gimme a week and see what i come up with. :)

EDIT:

I quickly whipped this banner up, to show what I had in mind. I definately want to incorporate the blurred city lights, lots of neon, etc. This has been resized btw, the original banner would be somewhat bigger.

i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#17 Post by Flyonthewall » Tue May 09, 2006 6:13 pm

Looks sweet Moth.. Lookin forward to more heh 8)
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

#18 Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 6:54 pm

Yes if you make a cool template I will definitely add it! If it's really cool I will make it the default.
However it has to wait until after I update the forum code this weekend and it would need to conform to the latest version of the forum code.

Your banner is also really cool however I have some suggestions.
The circle lights looks kind of spacey. I like the signs so if you want to give it a Tokyo feel then how about adding more cityscape type stuff etc. ? The globe Im not sure if you mean it to be from the party?

I also think it would be cool to add the faces of the supporting characters in the background behind (and maybe off to the sides?) Bob and Charlotte. For example John and Anna could go behind Charlotte and Ms. Kawasaki and maybe Matthew and the director could go behind Bob.

But anyway definitely looks great!

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#19 Post by mothling » Tue May 09, 2006 7:21 pm

Flyonthewall: Thanks :)

Bob: Thanks for the critique, and I mean that in a good way. I much prefer when people give me hints and suggestions. You're right it does have a spacey feel to it. I was planning on adding more Tokyo lights and neon signs, the few next to Bob were a last second addition just to see how it looked on the banner.

Sure I'd add some of the supporting cast. heck, I could even make seperate templates for all of them, I'd be more than willing, I have a million and one ideas for the banners, the above being just one of them.

The big globe looking thing, yikes. I feel ashamed to say that I didn't even notice that there. It was actually just a blurred city light, but it has came up really bright in contrast whilst I have been playing around with the effects and I haven't noticed it. Ooopsie. But good observation about it looking like one of the weather ballons from the nightclub! :wink:

EDIT: I have been working on a Bob banner. I was trying very specificaly not to overload the pictrue at all, and instead try and recreate the ambience of the movie, with the blurred street lights again, but trying to create a sombre tone. I wanted to capture how he felt during this particular moment in the movie, so I purpously kept Bob, not entirely small, but in the distance of the banner as a was to capture his distance and how he was literally "lost". Again, I would love some critique on it.

I will simply post a link to it as it is quite big, here is the link: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/e ... ob_001.jpg
Last edited by mothling on Thu May 11, 2006 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#20 Post by mothling » Thu May 11, 2006 12:36 pm

EDIT: So sorry, I didn't realise I was double posting.