Documentary - The Great Happiness Space

Non-LIT specific topics about Japan and Asia - culture, customs, food, people, art, film etc.
Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

Documentary - The Great Happiness Space

#1 Post by Suntory » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:05 am

I just watched this recently. I dvr'd it from cable but it's also on youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-eogVXEQBE

The movie is about a darker side of life in Japan but is interesting culturally.
The movie starts over a city skyline and it looks like Tokyo but it's not, it's Osaka.
It is about what they call "hosts", people who entertain members of the opposite sex in a club. Mainly about male hosts for women but they do touch on the female hosts as well.
This phenomenon seems unique in a way to Japan. I am not aware of in the US at least or in other countries where women are catered to in the same way and where women actively utilize this service.

The movie goes along for about 30 min before a twist is revealed. It's kind of mind blowing and then in the last 20 min another twist is revealed. I don't want to give any spoilers. I think that for people who frequent this forum, this film is a bit dark in subject matter however as I said is I think interesting culturally.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#2 Post by samwright8380 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:45 pm

Thank you for recommending this, I'll have to give it a watch sometime!