a LITTLE on japanese pop culture...

Non-LIT specific topics about Japan and Asia - culture, customs, food, people, art, film etc.
jml98
Asleep

a LITTLE on japanese pop culture...

#1 Post by jml98 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:40 am

Having never been to Japan, i don't know very much about the place, but i do know some things from what I've heard (my bro stayed there for 6 months...) Just some RANDOM stuff:

they do love karaoke!!...they have HUGE things of beers....they love their video games too: they have all kinds of everyday simulations (e.g. a virtual sushi chef game where you cut up sushi with a fake knife, haha). You might have seen that dancing game DDR; they also have a guitar game, a drumming game a DJ game; the list goes on...they have CRAZY game shows; im sure people know bout that (one "contest" was to see how much concentrated instant noodle flavoring they could eat without water...interesting)...they are very hi-tech as most know, but what many may not know is that they LOVE to hook little plastic toy things on their phones. many american phones would never sell there because they don't have the special little hook-attacher thingy on the back. Also, "no reception" is unheard of. Apparently you can get reception on the top of Mt. Fuji because there is a cell phone tower thing on top!! thats awesome...baseball games are much more of a festival-type atmosphere than it is here. for ex) each player has their own special "chant", and all the hardcore fans sing it everytime the player hits.

Anyway, i know its soo random, but in case anybody's interesting in a little of the culture over there...

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#2 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:49 am

Awesome! good to hear some more input on the culture...I know one thing though...when I visit there...I will be Karaoking, Drinking Gaming, Chanting with the best of them. Anyone want to join me? :D
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by I65 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:53 am

Interesting stuff. I haven't traveled much in my life (I am hoping to retire early enough to be able to do some then). Sadly Japan is not on my list of places. Perhaps I would go there when all the others have been "checked off". It isn't because I don't find the culture interesting, but purely a comfort thing. At 6'3" I just get the feeling I wouldn't "fit" in most of their accomodations. :P