Japanese woman caught living in man's closet

Non-LIT specific topics about Japan and Asia - culture, customs, food, people, art, film etc.
Bob_san
Site Admin

Japanese woman caught living in man's closet

#1 Post by Bob_san » Sat May 31, 2008 12:42 pm

This is an odd news item that caught my attention:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080530/ap_ ... oset_woman
Japanese woman caught living in man's closet By MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press Writer
Fri May 30, 3:21 PM ET

A homeless woman who sneaked into a man's house and lived undetected in his closet for a year was arrested in Japan after he became suspicious when food mysteriously began disappearing.

Police found the 58-year-old woman Thursday hiding in the top compartment of the man's closet and arrested her for trespassing, police spokesman Hiroki Itakura from southern Kasuya town said Friday.

The resident of the home installed security cameras that transmitted images to his mobile phone after becoming puzzled by food disappearing from his kitchen over the past several months.

One of the cameras captured someone moving inside his home Thursday after he had left, and he called police believing it was a burglar. However, when they arrived they found the door locked and all windows closed.

"We searched the house ... checking everywhere someone could possibly hide," Itakura said. "When we slid open the shelf closet, there she was, nervously curled up on her side."

The woman told police she had no place to live and first sneaked into the man's house about a year ago when he left it unlocked.

She had moved a mattress into the small closet space and even took showers, Itakura said, calling the woman "neat and clean."
Can you imagine living in your tiny tiny apartment in Japan and going about your business for a year and there is someone else living in there and you have no idea?!?!?!?! You mean to tell me that this guy never looked much into his closet for a whole year?!

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#2 Post by samwright8380 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:52 pm

A guy was actually caught living in the office where I work last year. He had some bad debts with the wrong people, and as the place is relatively secure, he just figured that he'd move into the office. Nobody really cottoned on to him, and for months he lived in the building, sleeping in his office, and he must have done pretty well as the place has a tv, shower and microwave etc. Security never used to bother checking the inside of the building, and he was only detected when he went to the toilet in the middle of the night and let the door shut behind him, swiping in again alerted one of the guards. There was a small article in the paper and I never saw the guy again afterwards. What I found most amusing was that to divert any possible suspicion, he would leave work early in the morning sometimes and return slightly late.....so in effect the guy was late for work even though he lived there!