Bob's phone!

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

Bob's phone!

#1 Post by samwright8380 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:41 pm

About two fridays ago I was in the new york bar. After drinking way too much whisky in old Bill's chair I left at about two in the morning. Walking through the lobby I noticed the same phone in the alcove that he uses to call charlotte when he's leaving, in fact the whole area hasn't changed one bit. I took a photo to show my friend (Ihave no idea how to attach it to this message) and left. So here's the challenge. Whilst in no way do I condone stealing, Blag, beg buy, whatever. But its gotta be the ultimate souvenier for an LIT fan.

P.S I didn't say this and I'm not crazy, but if your that way inclined rumour has it the hotel is almost completly empty in the early hours of morning, and the area with the phone has no surveillance. [/img]

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#2 Post by CHris! » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:04 am

you were at the park hyatt? cool! did you take loads of pictures? if so, get them online quick. Did you stay at the hotel or just pop in? Isnt it outrageously expensive there? Tell us more! ;D
theres nothing more than this

lostinflorida
Traveler

#3 Post by lostinflorida » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:51 pm

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. :)

And I probably would have done the same thing haha.

jml98
Asleep

#4 Post by jml98 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:50 pm

i am jealous of you, getting to stay in the park hyatt hotel...id love to hear what ur experience was like

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by samwright8380 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:52 am

I came to the Park Hyatt during the day for lunch in the restaurant, which was excellent. My intention was to stay in the hotel on the last night but after spending all night in the bar I ended up just meeting up with people and I spent the whole night out. Its certainly not good value, a shot of single barrel jack daniels is 1800yen and a beer is 1400, and you have to pay 2000yen to get in after 8pm. When Iwas there it was about as crowded as it was in the film, which i was told was unusual as normally you have to wait up to half an hour for a seat! Also the film gives the impression of the bar being an enclosed space, but actually there is a right angle near the end where bob sits and it carries on into the restaurant.
Too much to talk about right now about what its like, needless to say when you step out of the elevator to the bar at night, the view is immediatly breathtaking, even by people who haven't seen the film. It's exactly the same spot where she shot the intro scene, and trust me, if you ever go, a certain song will come into your head....
Last edited by samwright8380 on Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#6 Post by CHris! » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:02 am

im quite jealous.... :P

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#7 Post by lost in translation » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:09 pm

a
Last edited by lost in translation on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#8 Post by samwright8380 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:22 am

Will try. Difficult with the job I'm in but one way or another they'll definatly be on the site soon.

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#9 Post by CHris! » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:36 pm

cool, looking forward to seeing them :D

greg45
Lost In Jet Lag

Pictures Posted?

#10 Post by greg45 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:05 am

Hey, I am really interested in seeing the pictures. It looks as if this post got forgotten. I guess just let me know if they are going to be posted or if you still have them, I would really love to see the pictures.
-Greg

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#11 Post by The Shoegazer » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:31 pm

Wow. thats cool. I would really like to visit Tokyo someday. I live in Florida and most people who are under 40yrs. old know how much overated Florida and Miami are and I'am really looking forward to getting out of here and having some LiT moments of my own around the world.
Hope you can post those Park Hyatt pictures one way or another.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#12 Post by Beery » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:54 pm

I'm totally jealous.

I'm lobbying my wife to visit Tokyo next year, but she's not into it at all. She hasn't really 'got' the movie yet, though I think she sees its attraction. I have to work on her a bit more. Luckily we're doing well enough financially that we could probably afford a night or two at the hotel. I'd just like to wander around the places Charlotte visits - it would be great!

#13 Post by Guest » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:31 pm

Thats awesome that you can afford to stay there. I'm not sure I would want to go back and live the movie myself, it would be disappointing in quite a few ways.

greg45
Lost In Jet Lag

#14 Post by greg45 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:33 pm

The post above was mine...I forgot to login :?

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#15 Post by Beery » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:45 pm

Anonymous wrote:Thats awesome that you can afford to stay there. I'm not sure I would want to go back and live the movie myself, it would be disappointing in quite a few ways.
I can only just afford it. I would be just going on a holiday to see the real places from the movie, and I've always wanted to see Japan anyway. I've been around too long to allow a movie to get my expectations raised too high (and I lived in LA long enough to see the reality of a few movie locations (Die Hard, Miracle Mile, Volcano, etc.) and met enough movie stars (Kiefer Sutherland, Clint Eastwood, Julia Roberts, Weird Al Yankovic, etc. - I once even saved Billy Crystal's life) so that I'm pretty jaded by the old Hollywood hoopla. :)
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#16 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:27 pm

saved billy crystal's life?
what a shame.. just kidding :)
Let's hear the story!
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#17 Post by Beery » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:26 pm

Hehe, actually there's not much to tell. Billy came into my picture frame store because he needed a photo framed fast for something he was doing over at CBS (my frame store was over the road from the CBS studios). We framed it in an hour for him and when he came back he told me: "Thanks, you saved my life". So there it is. All I could assume was that Billy's screwball antics had enraged some Hollywood mafia don and the picture was a way to get the mafia guy to call off his hired goons.

Hehe. Alternatively it was just a figure of speech, but I much prefer the mafia story.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#18 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:02 am

lol, great stuff :lol:
that must have been amazing living there and meeting famous people and stuff..
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#19 Post by Beery » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:38 am

It was a lot of fun. My wife once got frustrated with Clint Eastwood when we were trying to leave one of his restaurants as he was posing for a local newspaper photographer. It was pretty funny to watch my wife (with a definite edge to her voice) asking 'Dirty Harry' to get out of her way. Thankfully, Clint seems a lot nicer in person than he is in any of his movies, so we got out of there unscathed, hehehe.

After a while though, LA got the best of us. After the fires sent ash raining down on Century City, after the Longridge/Santa Monica earthquake caused our local hospital to be condemned, and after the LA riots, we felt LA was trying to tell us something, so we moved to Boston and we now have a much quieter life.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#20 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:56 pm

awesome :D

makes me want to move to L.A. even more... if only for a couple of years.. sure is better than living in this place..

YAWN