Strip club scene

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Chicken
Wide Awake

#21 Post by Chicken » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:58 pm

Pretty good stuff. The song is better than a lot of the soundtrack.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#22 Post by jm » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:23 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jml98
Asleep

#23 Post by jml98 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:50 am

i'm 17 (16 when i first saw it) and i loved the movie...i agree that many teenagers prob would not like or "get" the movie, but there are some! i know some people at school that loved the movie too

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#24 Post by jm » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:23 am

"[quote:590e0e7632="jml98"]i'm 17 (16 when i first saw it) and i loved the movie...i agree that many teenagers prob would not like or "get" the movie, but there are some! i know some people at school that loved the movie too[/quote:590e0e7632]

And do these people at school have computers?"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#25 Post by CHris! » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:58 am

I was 19 when I saw it and it affected me immensly, I think whether or not you get the full effect largely depends on what type of person you are
theres nothing more than this

jml98
Asleep

#26 Post by jml98 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 pm

johnmonkey wrote:
And do these people at school have computers?
whats that supposed to mean?

Kyoto

#27 Post by Kyoto » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:27 am

jml98 wrote:
johnmonkey wrote:
And do these people at school have computers?
whats that supposed to mean?
I think he means like maybe they can saunter on over here and check it out!

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#28 Post by jm » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:31 am

"[quote:3ce820ef9c="Kyoto"]I think he means like maybe they can saunter on over here and check it out![/quote:3ce820ef9c]

Yup!"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#29 Post by CHris! » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:33 pm

its funny that even after like a year and half since the film come out, people are still joining this forum, showing how good LiT actually was

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#30 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:55 am

I can use myself as a prime example of that! I could say more but I'm off to watch LiT...
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jml98
Asleep

#31 Post by jml98 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:33 pm

yeah it speaks volumes about how good the movie really is. I think its especially incredible for a movie to generate this much discussion. In actor fan sites (like a scarlett fan site for example) theres alway ssomething new -- new movies to talk about, rumors, etc. But with a movie, new stuff doesn't really "happen", so its harder to keep the discussion "alive". Kudos to all that post here, members and guests.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#32 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:22 pm

thank you very much jml,

anyway on topic again,
i was looking over the sticky post about the locations and didnt see anything mentioned about the strip club. anyone have any idea where/what it is? i think i remember seeing somewhere on "lost on location" a sketch that was made of the room we see in the club. this leads me to believe it was just a set but who knows?
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Silver

#33 Post by Silver » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:16 am

I don't know the location of the site used for the Orange strip club scene, but from what I have read and seen, this was a ladies clothing store that was converted for filming purposes.

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#34 Post by CHris! » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:53 pm

yea ive heard it was a clothing store, in which she knew the owners, and Sofia based the strip scene there, in the basement of the shop :P

Guest10

#35 Post by Guest10 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:02 pm

Blissbomb wrote:I didnt think anyone under the age of 20 would get this movie. Connecting with someone so much and then having to walk away for the benefit of everyone, really hurts.

I think they could have toned down the strips scene. We didnt need to see what the girl bending over had for breakfast, she could have just stood there shaking her booty to give the same effect.

Still the best god damn movie I have ever seen!
I got the movie and I am 16. While many of my peers talk about movies like Fast and Furious with things "thats a cool car chase" or "what a hot chick" I feel so much better in understanding many things people of my age don't. It was the best movie I ever saw and always will be in my memory. I think the reason why so many people thought it was boring because they saw the trailer and thought thats its another funny Bill Murray movie with some drama. I saw the movie completely by accident and saw it 5 more times after that with the same awe and strange hypnotising feeling. I also was born in Europe (now live in the US) so that feeling of lonelyness and the neons at night with death in vegas in the background might come a little easier to me.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

Re: reply

#36 Post by Beery » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:59 pm

Blissbomb wrote:I didnt think anyone under the age of 20 would get this movie. Connecting with someone so much and then having to walk away for the benefit of everyone, really hurts.
I'm not sure that's the message I got from the movie, but it's your message (or part of it). And that's the beauty of this movie - that each viewer takes away from it something that deeply impacts them emotionally, and it's THEIR interpretation that matters. To me that's the reason for the final meeting between Bob and Charlotte - it allows us to interpret for ourselves what Bob's final message of truth is, and bring our own reality to his final words to Charlotte, which might be lost in translation to us, but which mean everything to them. Although the message is lost to us on the surface (we can't hear it), we can interpret those lost words and that truth in ways that mean something essential to us, bringing us a deeper personal meaning to that last meeting, and giving support to our interpretation of the movie as a whole. It is the finest present a viewer could receive - a chance to personalize a piece of art in a way that I don't think has ever been attempted before (at least not with such brilliance). It is a moment of sheer genius on the part of the filmmaker - and to me it's the finest moment of cinema that has ever been (and that's not just me hyping the movie after the experience of a first viewing - it's my considered opinion after having watched it a few times).

The other great thing about that moment is that it doesn't DEMAND interpretation. It can be left hanging, being only what it is on the surface (lost in translation, or just not translated for us). That aspect of it can be important too, as Gus van Sant's movie 'Elephant' (another much maligned and misunderstood film) shows us on a larger scale. Gus van Sant refuses to show us any interpretation of his movie's events whatsoever, and some see that as an immense flaw, but I see it as liberating, because it doesn't beat me over the head with the director's interpretation. It allows me to think, rather than telling me what to think. That's what LiT does for me too, but whereas van Sant uses a whole movie to do it, Lit manages to give me such freedom by the inclusion of just one tiny scene where what is essential seems to have been excluded. Brilliant!

jml98
Asleep

#37 Post by jml98 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:22 pm

I think they could have toned down the strips scene. We didnt need to see what the girl bending over had for breakfast, she could have just stood there shaking her booty to give the same effect.
i'm 17 (16 when i saw it), and id like to think i get it.

I dunno if they walked away because it was for the benefit of everyone. I think Bob walked away because their relationship never could have worked. As hull_street said in another post, they both do have happy marriages, but they are going through rough patches. Plus, Bob has a family. Also, i'm not sure how John and Lydia would take it if they found out about Bob and Charlotte's relationship. I don't think John and Lydia would totally be convinced that nothing (sexual) happened, no matter how many times Bob and Charlotte would say it. It just wouldn't work.

I think them showing the dancing in the strip club scene was purely for comedic effect...you gotta admit, that was a weird striptease by that stripper...Bob's "thanks" to the stripper at the end was priceless too

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#38 Post by Beery » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:17 pm

jml98 wrote:
Blissbomb wrote:I don't think John and Lydia would totally be convinced that nothing (sexual) happened, no matter how many times Bob and Charlotte would say it. It just wouldn't work.
Well, if they already have relationships based on that level of mistrust, then your assertion that they both have happy marriages must be incorrect. I don't know of a 'happy' relationship where one participant cannot take his/her partner at her word. I don't think such a relationship is possible - it's a contradiction in terms.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

jml98
Asleep

#39 Post by jml98 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:21 pm

well, you got me! lol i dunno what to say, i think ur right. oh well. :oops:

well, i do think that they have happy marriages, but thanks to ur comments, Beery, i think i have to take back what i said about john and lydia not believing their spouses. i guess actually that would be a good test to see just how strong Bob/Lydia and John/Charlotte's relationships are.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#40 Post by hull_street » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:39 pm

I think we should probably make the distinction here between a "happy" marriage, and a "functional" marriage. A functional marriage can withstand a test such as this, but only because the goals of the marriage continue to be served by both partners. I think quite a few other factors come into play when selecting a spouse, and although being happy is certainly something to strive for, it is usually not the overriding concern.

If Bob and Charlotte's marriages had been "happy", the relationship that took place between them would not have happened.