The "kids" comment

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

adl618
Lost In Jet Lag

The "kids" comment

#1 Post by adl618 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:08 pm

In the interview with Bill Murray http://romanticmovies.about.com/cs/lost ... illint.htm he says:
"Even though you’re with a beautiful girl and it’s the middle of the night in Tokyo, you’re never going to be one of my kids."
I am still puzzled by what does he mean by that comment.
Why does he compare the girl to his kid? Does he see her as his daughter?

Arluss
Traveler

#2 Post by Arluss » Wed May 19, 2004 9:16 pm

It's pretty easy to understand.

He loves his kids. He's basically saying that his character just can't up and leave his kids because he loves them.

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by phillygalinutah » Thu May 20, 2004 6:27 pm

I agree. :o

Bob Harris, older and wiser, knows it's not a simple task to walk away from a marriage which includes children he very much loves, for a young, beautiful woman he meets on a business trip.

Though not to say Bob's not tempted. He even expressed it to Charolotte that he didn't want to leave her in the bar the night before he left. Charlotte, at the moment, very well could have convinced him to stay, but made light of his personal revelation to her by saying he could stay, and they could start up a jazz band there. Bob pulls his hand away, and says no more about it.

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#4 Post by jeffyen » Thu May 20, 2004 9:28 pm

adl618, if you haven't done so already, it might be useful to take a listen/look at Bill's video interview (http://www.weareawake.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13) at the French LiT website. He explains the conflicts that Bob goes through and how he handles it.

adl618
Lost In Jet Lag

#5 Post by adl618 » Thu May 20, 2004 10:17 pm

Thanks very much! It cleared it up for me a lot. I am going to check the video also.