How many times have you seen LIT? What are the conditions?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

LITobsession
Park Hyatt Regular

How many times have you seen LIT? What are the conditions?

#1 Post by LITobsession » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:52 am

I've seen LIT probably somewhere in the 15-20 range, I'm not positive because I'm not one to keep track of such things.

Sorry if the second question was unclear in the title, I meant to ask under what conditions do you find yourself wanting to watch LIT? Generally, I enjoy LIT best when watching alone when I'm feeling lonely. And only at night sometimes after coming back from being "out" with friends.

Whenever I get intoxicated, I tend to gravitate towards LIT because it's the first film that comes to mind, however it's not the best film while intoxicated although I always notice little details such as the 4:20 on the alarm clock (don't know if anyone else has noticed this). Bad Sofia Coppola! :lol:

By the by, I'm new to this forum so I look forward to discussing my favorite film with open-minded people equally obsessed with LIT.
I'm still lost...

RyanZ
Tokyo Insomniac

#2 Post by RyanZ » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:44 pm

I first saw it about a month or so ago, and in that time I have seen it about 8 times. I tend to like watching it late at night or when I am feeling depressed and lonely LIT is always there to cheer me up.

Personally I like the 4:20 reference. :shock:

Welcome to the forum, I am still new has well. There are some nice people around here :) .

Silk
Tokyo Denizen

#3 Post by Silk » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:13 am

Hey
I am as new as you are. I tend to watch LiT when feeling a bit depressed, or when I am longing for something emotional and beautiful. I saw it for the seventh or eight (...err... eighttth?? english grammar lacking...) time yesterday, but I had my father and fifteen year old sister next to me so I guess I got a bit distracted. My sister likes it though, she finds it very romantic, but last night she was in a teasing mood and started to try to annoy me. Ah, what the heck, I can see it again today if I'd like

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#4 Post by wiggle » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:40 am

You have to be in the right mood for Lost in Translation. I don't watch it as frequently as some (though I very often think about their relationship), but when I do it's like I'm rediscovering the film and it all seems extremely poignant.

Whilst I'm writing this message, I thought I'd point out something that I've only recently discovered in the film. When Bob's about to leave and the tall blonde is talking to him, he sees Charlotte and says among other things: "Aren't you going to wish me a good fright?" I just considered this a send-off, much like "break a leg" when you go on stage. I recently bought the Empire magazine with the Lost in Translation review off of ebay and Sofia says that the hotel staff said this when she was leaving Japan. So it's not a play on words, but the way the Japanese said goodbye and a possible reference to earlier in the film when Charlotte says "why do they mix their "R's" and their "L's" here. You all probably knew that, but after months of watching the film, I've only just discovered it.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

LITobsession
Park Hyatt Regular

#5 Post by LITobsession » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:18 am

Ah, good point about the "R's and their L's" line. I always wondered what that was in reference to.

For some reason, I'll go months without seeing LIT, then I might have to see it several times in a week when I'm feeling lonely or perhaps longing for something emotional and beautiful as Silk so eloquently said. I don't know why, but most of my friends thought the movie was racist or boring. And being somewhat of a film buff myself, I tend to wonder why I am so emotionally attached to a film that breaks many conventional "rules" of storytelling. But of course, the horrible paradox of art is that when we understand the "rules" of a beautiful thing, that thing ceases to be beautiful. So I am forced to simply enjoy, which I don't mind.

I am curious if those of you who are of international origin (non-English speaking countries), if you watch the movie in subtitles or are you proficient enough in the langauge to follow the film without?
I'm still lost...

Silk
Tokyo Denizen

#6 Post by Silk » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:19 pm

I usually see it with swedish subtitles (I would use english subtitles if I could though) but I rarely read them since English is so natural for me to listen to. Most swedes are pretty good with the English language.

And about the "good fright" thing - I got that straight away.

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#7 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Sat May 07, 2005 8:21 pm

Oh I really have no clue how many times I have watched LIT, seriously at least 18 times lol. I am sure many can relate to this. :D

Anyway I got most of Bill's Comedy down the first time I watched it but then their was some things that the japanese actors said that made me laugh. Such as when the photographer was trying to tell Bill that he wanted him to pose like Roger Moore, Bil says "Oh ok I was thinking more Sean Connerey" and the photographer blatantly says Nooo Roger Moore.. just the way he said it, if you don't know what I am talking about get out your LIT DVD and watch it! lol. He also says "I'm Sexy" at the very end of the photoshoot which was made me laugh as well( Think someone else pointed that out on the boards). Hmm Mathew's best hit T.V....haha that's self-explanantory :D
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

#8 Post by Guest » Mon May 09, 2005 9:50 am

I've watched it more times than I'm willing to admit. Any condition is okay.
I still haven't seen it as many times as I've seen "The Sure Thing" ot "Animal House," but I'm closing in.

#9 Post by Guest » Tue May 10, 2005 1:18 am

Lost count of how many times I've watched LIT...but It always manages to leave a lump in my throat everytime....

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#10 Post by 52FM » Sun May 22, 2005 10:31 pm

Saw it once. Can't see it again - brings back too many memories of a similar situation that I did not end as well as Bob.

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#11 Post by Autumn Child » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:49 pm

heh heh heh

in the region of 28 times, but thats only whole times.

i often watch my favourite scenes by themselves so added togeater that might equal 5 more times so overall that would make 33 times

god im a tad obsessed lol ;)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

welcometoTokyo
Sleepless in Tokyo

Re: How many times have you seen LIT? What are the conditio

#12 Post by welcometoTokyo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:22 am

10+
probably more with the deleted scene, specially that show Bob was on!

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#13 Post by Autumn Child » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:40 am

arent we all crazy ;) :D

welcometoTokyo
Sleepless in Tokyo

#14 Post by welcometoTokyo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:24 pm

[quote="Autumn Child"]arent we all crazy ;) :D[/quote]

this is the first movie I ever watched more than once, and got my interest into movies and actors same for producer... now I understand the heart of moview watchers who said 'I've seen that movei twenty times and I still love it' :lol:

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#15 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:29 pm

one word describes this movie...perfect ;)

Congruous
Suntory Time

#16 Post by Congruous » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:10 am

I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen it. Sometimes I'll put it in the DVD player and work at my computer and turn to look at it when it comes to a favorite scene.

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#17 Post by Autumn Child » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:44 am

welcometoTokyo wrote:
Autumn Child wrote: arent we all crazy ;) :D
this is the first movie I ever watched more than once, and got my interest into movies and actors same for producer... now I understand the heart of moview watchers who said 'I've seen that movei twenty times and I still love it' :lol:
yeah, i have never loved a film as much as this. And it doesnt lose anything the more I watch it :D

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

My first time...

#18 Post by I65 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:49 pm

I have never told anyone about my first time watching this movie. At the time I was on disability for a back injury, so my husband had moved my computer into my bedroom for me. I was bed ridden for two months (it was difficult to even make it the few steps to the bathroom), and you can only watch so many cable shows, and rewatch so many movies that you own. I like computer games, so I would play everquest in bed. I made many friends online at that time. One of them was a 19 year old male that lives in another state. He told me during gaming that he had seen this great movie, and so I needed to see it too.

My husband rented the movie for me, and I told my friend. We decided to watch it together. We paused the movie at the begining, started at the same time, chatted online and watched the movie.

While we have never met, I guess we kind of have a Bob and Charolette type of relationship, albeit with the roles reversed (I get to be Bob). It is a fond memory for me, during a trying time that he helped me get through. Because of all of this I think that the circumstance in which I first watch the movie make it all the more special for me. I since purchased the DVD, and so I have a "touch stone" to that moment so to speak, and can remember it fondly every time I enjoy this beautiful movie.

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#19 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:07 pm

Interesting story, I stopped Ever Quest along time ago beause it was the most addicting game I had ever played...now LIT is my addiction :D how's that back of yours anyway?

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

That back of mine...

#20 Post by I65 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:14 pm

That back of mine...is a long story that spans several decades. To make it not quite so long after many years of treatment by doctors, who could find no cause for my pain I became desperate and ready to try anything (pain killers weren't even helping) and called a masseuse. I had told doctors before that muscles in my back felt like they were knotted up and pulling my spine out of alignment, but that gufawed me.

My first visit to her, she immediately found the culprit muscles after I described my pain, and after just a few weeks of deep tissue massage, stretching, and traction, she was able to get me to virtually pain free. I continue to get massage from her once a week, as the muscle tends to want to knot back up into the configuration it was used to for so many years. The 35.00 a week is more than worth it to no longer need pain meds, and to be able to begin working 40 hours a week compared to the 20 that I limped through prior to finding her.