Simple Question

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

Simple Question

#1 Post by 52FM » Fri May 27, 2005 11:02 pm

At the last scene - which comes first - the kiss (on the lips) or the whisper? Essentially what was the scene sequence - he gets her attention, asks why she is crying, she says I'll miss you, he says I'll miss you too. And then...?

I appreciate any responses.

jml98
Asleep

#2 Post by jml98 » Sat May 28, 2005 3:51 am

after calling her name to get her attention, Bob looks into her eyes and hugs her. He then whispers inaudibly into her ear, kisses her, the final goodbyes are said, and we see Bob smiling as he walks away from her

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Sat May 28, 2005 10:24 am

Thanks jml98. The sequence is important to me for some reason. I realize the whisper is up to us, but the fact that he kisses her after what he says (and she responds) gives a clue to the feeling and reaction they were going for.

I think I like it better that way. I want to believe it was closure, not let's keep in touch.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#4 Post by KKDallas » Sat May 28, 2005 7:26 pm

I tend to agree with you, 52. Personally, I think Charlotte wanted someone to find her special and worthy of attention. Bob told her something to satisfy that since she seemed pleased by what he whispered in her ear.

I have been reading your posts and I can sense that you did not get the closure you desired in your "LiT relationship". I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds like it has been haunting you for 5 years now. I can definitely relate. I had a similar relationship and I did not get the closure I wanted and it has been 4 years.

However, watching LiT does make me feel better. You should get the DVD and try it sometime. For some odd reason, it makes me feel better seeing them have closure I so desperately wanted.

Kathy

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by 52FM » Tue May 31, 2005 9:11 am

Thanks for your response, kkdallas, and thanks also for taking the time to read my posts - as disjointed as they may be.

It's probably hard to follow - but you see this has only been haunting me since I saw LiT on cable 5-6 weeks ago. My situation ended in a very ugly way over 10 years ago. Unlike your situation, I actually created closure several months before that. I told her how I felt, she did the same, and we agreed it was not a good idea to continue the close connection we had. But because I saw her every day, I selfishly decided to "unclose" it.

After it finally ended for good, it took about five years before it essentially was over as an issue in my marriage. And so for the last five years I was over it - basically by accepting that it was my selfishness that was to blame (wanting to keep this deep friendship and not seeing how it would affect everyone). That's how I managed to deal with it - until I saw LiT.

It made me realize that had I just ended it when I first tried to, I'd have the "Bob/Charlotte" ending - even though we didn't "go home", if I would have just "walked back", the situation would be nothing but a happy, positive memory - like it would be for Bob and Charlotte.

But thinking it through, and "talking" it out on this board is helping - thanks to you and others who are letting me type out my rambling thoughts. After reading your post this weekend I realized it did end positively at first - and I remembered the things we said years ago. I also realized how fortunate I was to have had that ending. Of course I'll always regret what happened after that, but my wife and I closed that out years ago. I just wasn't letting myself have any positive feelings over this - and I think that's changing.

I didn't see any posts that described your situation, and certainly I'm not asking. But just a thought based on what little I can tell - do you really think Bob or Charlotte would feel much differently if all they had was the awkward goodbye in the lobby? Sure they would have wanted something more definite - but would Bob wonder how Charlotte felt about him? Of course not - he knew. Would Charlotte wonder how Bob felt? His expressions told it all. As great as I'm sure it was for her, she didn't really need the whisper or a hug or a kiss. She had to have known how he felt and would always carry that with her.

I'm sure with your situation you know also. I wish you all the best, and thanks again for your response.