Lost in Translation, the sequel

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

wiggle
Lounge Singer

Lost in Translation, the sequel

#1 Post by wiggle » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:23 pm

I've read on these and the IMDB boards that some people would like to see a Lost in Translation sequel. If a sequel was ever released, I'd be very, very upset. A sequel would never live up to the original because everyone has a different opinion over where Bob and Charlotte go next. A sequel couldn't possibly fulfil everyone's expectations. It's a really silly idea and the only plausible motive for Sofia to make a follow-up movie is money...and then Lost in Translation would be ruined. I thought I'd give my opinion.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

SJ
Tourist

#2 Post by SJ » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:08 pm

If a sequel is announced, I'd momentarily stop everything in my life to devote myself to prevent the sequel from being made.

jml98
Asleep

#3 Post by jml98 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:52 pm

this is actually already a topic i think...a sequel would ruin both movies for me, especially the last goodbye

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#4 Post by KKDallas » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:13 pm

I think a sequel would be disappointing. However, there are so many scenes I'd like to see more of such as water aerobics, karoke, the hospital, etc.

I am hoping Sofia will release a Director's Cut DVD.

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#5 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Sat May 07, 2005 7:38 pm

[/quote]sequel

GOD I HOPE NOT

This movie just couldn't have a sequel... kind of like "The Breakfast Club"
The ending is similar in ways to LIT. It makes the audience use their imagination to where they will go next. The BC is a good movie and I think LIT fans could really appreciate it. :D
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

#6 Post by Guest » Mon May 09, 2005 9:47 am

Hell, I'd be first in line at the theater.

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#7 Post by wiggle » Mon May 09, 2005 12:34 pm

If a sequel were released I'd never watch it in protest.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#8 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Mon May 09, 2005 6:50 pm

hah, well I don't know If I would see it. I know that it would definatly ruin the first, which we JUST CAN'T HAVE. But no worries I seriously doubt their would be a sequel to this..

I don't know why my last post was quote either. :D
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

LITobsession
Park Hyatt Regular

#9 Post by LITobsession » Tue May 10, 2005 1:29 pm

I think on the DVD you can see the deleted scenes. This is the closest we'll ever get to seeing the "director's cut" I believe.
I'm still lost...

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#10 Post by samwright8380 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:15 pm

Contrary to what some may say, i think LIT would lend itself very well to a sequel and be both original and interesting. you see, most people are banking on a cliched storyline of the pair running off together etc, etc. I think a much better storyline possibly exists. In my mind i see a story consisting of Bob perhaps revisiting Tokyo in search of Charlotte, only to find nothing there, which brings up many more issues such as denial, desparation etc. it would have perhaps even more of a lost feeling to it. I also think this option has been perhaps overlooked in the fanfiction forum, which is maybe a little formulaeic.

#11 Post by Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:49 pm

A sequel could be made as you say without it being a formula. It would center around Bob and/or Charlotte dealing with their real life versus the strong desire to re-escape into the ephemeral situation they walked away from. It could also have one or the other trying to re-start it, to disasterous results that could ultimately have a happy ending for both with their respective spouses. I could write the scriipt.

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#12 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:09 pm

samwright8380 wrote:Contrary to what some may say, i think LIT would lend itself very well to a sequel and be both original and interesting. you see, most people are banking on a cliched storyline of the pair running off together etc, etc. I think a much better storyline possibly exists. In my mind i see a story consisting of Bob perhaps revisiting Tokyo in search of Charlotte, only to find nothing there, which brings up many more issues such as denial, desparation etc. it would have perhaps even more of a lost feeling to it. I also think this option has been perhaps overlooked in the fanfiction forum, which is maybe a little formulaeic.
Why would he return looking for her? He knows she left!

I think it's an absolutely terrible idea.
mike

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#13 Post by samwright8380 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:47 am

Why would he return? Well, theres always the whisper to consider. Perhaps it could be intimated that he suggested they should meet at the hotel again, and that he would be there waiting on a date several months later if she wanted to turn up. I think it would make a very good portrait of a man of great sucess in desparation, of the final collapse of his marriage and of how trying to develop a platonic relationship can often be flogging a dead horse [/quote]

atlashrugged
Awake

#14 Post by atlashrugged » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:17 am

I don't know if I would want to watch a sequel, no matter how well done it's thought to be. It was a once in a lifetime experience, for both Bob and Charlotte, I think and it should be fleeting. A sequel would make the original seem that much less genuine. Certain movies should not have a follow up and, to me, this should be one of them.
They poise and grieve as in some old tragedy.

#15 Post by Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:12 am

KKDallas wrote:I am hoping Sofia will release a Director's Cut DVD.
I think in the case of an indie film such as this where she had total creative control, the actual release was the directors cut!

Also after having heard Sofia on many radio interviews and watching the featurette about the making of, I believe thats as close as we'll
get to a director's commentary and in fact all that's needed there.
Sofia doesn't seem to like to talk a lot at least on camera or in interviews so given what was already shown about behind the scenes, I'm not sure she would have a whole
lot to add.

#16 Post by Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:22 am

samwright8380 wrote: In my mind i see a story consisting of Bob perhaps revisiting Tokyo in search of Charlotte, only to find nothing there, which brings up many more issues such as denial, desparation etc. it would have perhaps even more of a lost feeling to it.
I think while interesting this would have little box office value so that means that even though indie films can get made more often now, if they
don't have much potential to make money they won't get made.
Audiences it seems now are willing to watch excrutiating and depressing indie films but in the end somehow there is some redemption and "happy" ending that audiences need to feel good about a film. If you make a film about Bob running around being even more lost, it doesn't sound like you'd get any of that out of it which is necessary to some success. Also would Bill Murray be up for that?! :) I don't see why however, such as in the case of for example Star Wars, an industrious group of fans can't get together and make that film themselves as a fan project! :shock:
I also think this option has been perhaps overlooked in the fanfiction forum, which is maybe a little formulaeic.
The fan fiction forum is open to all so if you have a story idea then go for it and put it out there! :idea:

Lochlain
Alone in Kyoto

#17 Post by Lochlain » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:21 am

Lost In Translation - episode II
The Return of Bob...
Bad idea...
I won't see it... OK... I would. But it's a still bad idea.

Sausilito
Tokyo Insomniac

#18 Post by Sausilito » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:51 am

I don't think a sequel would be good...well, ok, it would be one of the worst ideas ever.

But i suppose if there had to be a sequel, a "Before Sunset"-type (a meet again in 10 years type of thing) sequel might be worth watching - one of the few good ideas from the IMDB board, btw...
Call me if you get lost

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#19 Post by Autumn Child » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:48 am

hmm...

wouldn't it ruin the whole point of the film? a chance meeting where two people just a that point in life where they don't know where their life is going, and their sense of loneliness is hightened by the familiar souroundings (a city) that yet seem so alien? (like their life i suppose, something that they should know so well but feel lost in) and so they share a intimate friendship that wouldn't be possible or they probably wouldnt want in any other circumstances?

if the critics said it was very very good and did justice to the first, then id maybe consider seeing it...

but i cant honestly see Sofia Coppola wanting to do a 2nd

:)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

Sausilito
Tokyo Insomniac

#20 Post by Sausilito » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:27 pm

no, i do agree that a sequel would be a bad idea, but i'm saying that if one were to be made, for whatever reason, the only way it would be half decent if it was a Before Sunset style thing
Call me if you get lost