LIT Trivia Questions

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#21 Post by jml2 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:00 am

KKDallas wrote: On the "Lost" on Location short film, this ikebana scene is being set up. Sofia is telling the asst. director how she wants the Japanese women to act.
I don't remember this part in Lost on Location. When is it?
I have the region 4 DVD

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#22 Post by KKDallas » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:56 pm

I am in the U.S. I don't know what region DVD I have. The scene in "Lost on Location" is about midway through. The crew has finished shooting Shibuya crossing. Then we see them in a van. Ross is telling the camera that now it is week 3 and they will be doing Park Hyatt interiors. Others mention that people are hung over and Eva and Morag say they are not hung over.

I believe next they show the water aerobics then the ikebana scene with Sofia. Ross mentions that they are pulling an all-nighter but that he will sleep in November. Sofia gives some direction and the asst. director then translates for her. She looks very tired. She is wearing a pale pink Izod pullover shirt and her hair in up in a ponytail/loose knot.

Hope that helps some!

Kathy

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#23 Post by jml2 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:02 am

thanks, I found it now.
US and Canada is region 1

damajo
Tourist

On the Rocks

#24 Post by damajo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:22 am

The little rocks were definitely small change. When currency is unfamiliar, a traveller instinctively holds a handful of change in front of the bartender, trusting him or her to take out the correct amount.
It is in the same family of travel afflictions as looking at the diagram on the back of the hotel door to see which room on the floor is bigger than yours, and hiding half-eaten food under a napkin on the room service tray so the room service guy won't be cross with you.
I remember a mass of things, but nothing distinctly

#25 Post by Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:47 am

this is just a quickie, but in response to your trivia question #8, its not nuts that she sends his way, its actually an ashtray...you can see the cig. butts through the tray, although i can see how someone could percieve it as a small bowl of nuts...but ive never seen a bowl of nuts THAT small..^_^''

Raiken
xXoOOoXx

#26 Post by Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:51 am

Anonymous wrote:this is just a quickie, but in response to your trivia question #8, its not nuts that she sends his way, its actually an ashtray...you can see the cig. butts through the tray, although i can see how someone could percieve it as a small bowl of nuts...but ive never seen a bowl of nuts THAT small..^_^''

Raiken
xXoOOoXx
proven wrong. its a bowl of nuts.

jml98
Asleep

#27 Post by jml98 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:17 am

i guess ur a pretty hardcore fan if ur arguing stuff like this, lol...

I'm almost certain it's nuts, or at least, NOT an ashtray. Ok the scene takes place from (on the DVD) 23:55 to to about 25:00. (I'll use the times to help point out my evidence) I've watched the scene a few times, studying for any hints as to whether it is nuts or an ashtray. There's no clear shot or really any completely definitive visual evidence. But if u look at all the facts together, and use some reasoning, it's clear its not an ashtray. At 23:45, the woman on the left of Scarlett is smoking a cigarette and uses the ashtray. (Actually there is a continuity error...in this shot, the bowl in question is not on the table, yet at 24:14 it clearly is) You can't really see exactly what she dumps the ashes in, plus someone walks across the shot. Nothing conclusive here, but this will be important later on. From 23:52 - 24:00 we see the singer and an empty table -- with an ashtray in the middle. Note that it is clear, and pretty short. Now, at 24:14, we see the bowl in question - it's not clear (kind of a translucent black) and taller than the ashtray we saw just a moment ago. Now at 24:49, Scarlett has already given Bob the bowl in question (which, btw, he takes a mouthful from...why would he do that to an ashtray is beyond me) You can see in the background a hand (pretty safe to assume its the same woman from before) dumping her ashes into an ashtray (but you cannot see it) If Scarlett gave Bob an ashtray, it wouldn' tbe there for the lady to use (yes...i do realize she could be using another ashtray, the one flaw in my argument, but in all likelihood, it's the same one) Now, finally, at 24:55/6 Bob reaches into the bowl, as if he is getting a handful of something to eat (again, why would he do this if it was an ashtray?)

To sum up - the known ashtray looks different from the bowl in question (different colors, size) And logically, Bob's actions (and the smoking girl to Scarlett's left) wouldn't make sense if it was an ashtray that was given.

All in all, i'm pretty convinced it's a bowl of nuts - or at the very least, not an ashtray.

P.S. yes, lol, i know this qualifies me as a loser! (so u don't have to tell me) haha oh well...i had some free time...just wanted to settle this once and for all...thoughts? arguments? comments?

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#28 Post by hull_street » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:07 pm

Well, for my part, I just saw it as an unspoken conversation between them. He was flirting and playing the clown, and she called him a nut.

That conversation was acknowledged by Bob around frame 35883. Or was it 35884 ? :)

#29 Post by Guest » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:46 pm

There were nuts in the cup that Charlotte sends over to Bob. Watch when Bob takes a 'swig' from the cup - the nuts separate. I thought after the first viewing or so that it might have been a liquid. Wrong...

Nuts it is.

#30 Post by Guest » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:49 pm

Sorry - I forgot to log in. The 'nuts' comment in the previous box is mine.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

'Nuts'-the final word.....

#31 Post by samwright8380 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:24 pm

In the new york bar it is customary for customers to be served a small bowl containing what would resemble peanuts but are actually something else- definitely not very tasty. This i know from first hand experience. So neither nuts nor ashtray but nuts are definitely the closer call. Point settled.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#32 Post by findingcharlotte » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:30 pm

I agree ..nuts of some kind........... a simple and available gesture
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#33 Post by Autumn Child » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:38 pm

hull_street wrote: 4. At one point in Charlotte's travels, she ties a paper around a tree branch. What is presumably written on the paper ?

A wish.

do you mean an Omikuji? That would be more a fortune than a wish and it seems that if its a good fortune/good luck you take it with you or tie it to a post near the temple, but if its not a satasfactory fortune it will be bad luck so it is tied to a tree to say "i dont really want this future" to the gods and so not to take any bad luck with you.

;)

i wonder what the fortune was, maybe about her marrage, but then again it would have been Scarlett's fortune really :)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

Re: LIT Trivia Questions

#34 Post by A moment of silence » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:22 pm

1. What does Bob end up doing with the small box he is given by his translator/PR team upon his arrival?
Um...forgot.

2. What is Kelly's pseudonym?
Evelyn Waugh- lol

3. Name Bob's action movie where he did his own stunts.
Don't know.

4. Name Bob's children.
Zoe and Adam

5. Who does Charlotte speak with on the telephone after a lonely trip to a temple?
Lauren

6. How long will it take for Bob's carpet to arrive, according to Lydia?
two weeks?

7. Where did Charlotte go to college and what was her major?
Yale University. Philosophy Major.

8. What does Charlotte order at the bar when she first talks to Bob?
Vodka Tonic

9. Who sent the Premium Fantasy lady?
Mr. Kasuet (I don't know how to write it)

10. How much is Bob being paid by Suntory?
2 million dollars

11. What is the first name of Bob's agent?
Kawasaki? I don't know if this is the first name///

BONUS: What is happening on Sunday when Bob returns home? i.e. what is Lydia afraid that Bob has forgotten? Bob will go to Zoe's recital.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last