LiT Discussions

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

jml98
Asleep

#21 Post by jml98 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:02 am

hopefully not too long...i enjoyed reading your posts, even when i didn't have a response...thanks for the contributions

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#22 Post by I65 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:58 pm

Congruous wrote:Lydia: is she responsible for Bob’s dissatisfaction? No, she didn't come across as being a great wife, but Bob made it clear that she was a good mother; maybe more interested in mothering than nurturing a marriage. Apparently their marriage cooled when the kids came. Bob could be as reponsible for this cooling as Lydia.
This made me think of that song in Fiddler on the Roof...

Golde "I've given you children, milked your cow, after 25 years why talk about love right now?"

End of the song

Tevya "But do you love me?"
Golde "I suppose I do"
Tevya "and I suppose I love you too."
Together "It doesn't mean a thing, but even so. After 25 years, it's nice to know."

I thought of this song when it was brought up about Bob and Lydia's relationship. I think that a lot of relationships get into that routine where the "love" is assumed to be common knowledge. Lydia has "given him children, raising them (seemingly often with an absent Bob) and still finding time to decorate the study...for him. It's like she feels that her actions are that of a woman in love, and she shouldn't have to quantify them for Bob.

"Do I need to worry about your Bob?" Possible translation "honey, you know that I love you, and you are the most important person in my life, but I'm so busy right now. Please tell me that I don't need to worry about you too, because it's time to leave to take our daughter to ballet practice, I still haven't done the shopping for dinner, and the carpet guys are coming tomorrow to put in the Burgandy."

I'm at work, so I will discuss the other points later, but I just had to blurt this out while it was on the top of my head.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Bob and Lydia

#23 Post by I65 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:10 pm

52FM wrote:Another really long post -

Which brings me back to Sofia’s style in this film. I love the dialogue more every time I think of something. Very real life – very “un-movie” like. At first, I was annoyed with Bob telling Charlotte “you’re not hopeless”. I thought: c’mon – I can think of a lot of things better to say than that. But I realize in real life you don’t get a chance to think of the perfect line. “You’re not hopeless” is probably the type of “safe” thing you might say if you are 53 years old and find yourself laying in bed – very tired but suffering insomnia – with a 20-something girl – that you know you will not make any type of romantic/sexual advance towards.
OK, that isn't what I thought he said, I thought he said "We're hopeless". Now I HAVE to rewatch the movie, because that is a huge difference. What a difference a few words can make...

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#24 Post by Autumn Child » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:14 pm

Ithildriel65 wrote:
52FM wrote:Another really long post -

Which brings me back to Sofia’s style in this film. I love the dialogue more every time I think of something. Very real life – very “un-movie” like. At first, I was annoyed with Bob telling Charlotte “you’re not hopeless”. I thought: c’mon – I can think of a lot of things better to say than that. But I realize in real life you don’t get a chance to think of the perfect line. “You’re not hopeless” is probably the type of “safe” thing you might say if you are 53 years old and find yourself laying in bed – very tired but suffering insomnia – with a 20-something girl – that you know you will not make any type of romantic/sexual advance towards.
OK, that isn't what I thought he said, I thought he said "We're hopeless". Now I HAVE to rewatch the movie, because that is a huge difference. What a difference a few words can make...

hmm im sure it was "you and i are hopeless"

ive had the subtitles on a few times and im certain it wasnt "youre not hopeless"....

but then again, i could be wrong...:)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#25 Post by I65 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:47 pm

Autumn Child wrote: hmm im sure it was "you and i are hopeless"

ive had the subtitles on a few times and im certain it wasnt "youre not hopeless"....

Now that you mentioned it, (it's been several months since I saw the film, I do recall thinking it was You and I are hopeless, not we're. I am still going to have to rewatch it though, I've been wanting to anyway, it has been awhile.

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#26 Post by Autumn Child » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:53 pm

Ithildriel65 wrote:
Autumn Child wrote: hmm im sure it was "you and i are hopeless"

Now that you mentioned it, (it's been several months since I saw the film, I do recall thinking it was You and I are hopeless, not we're. I am still going to have to rewatch it though, I've been wanting to anyway, it has been awhile.
i would watch it again tonight (heh heh i only just watched it 2 days ago..) but ive just lent it to a friend to try and get him obsessed too :D

when i put the subtitles on, i realised that there were many lines that i had missheard. Not really important ones, just little ones lol :D

some of them are kind of mumbled or trailed off, which maybe makes it more real, rather than a staged conversation that you can hear everything clearly :)

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#27 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:30 pm

Yes, Bob says "You're not hopeless..." Charlotte told Bob "John thinks I'm snotty" and Bob with a casual chuckle and a pause says "Your". Listen closely! :)
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#28 Post by Autumn Child » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:49 am

ForRelaxingTimes wrote:Yes, Bob says "You're not hopeless..." Charlotte told Bob "John thinks I'm snotty" and Bob with a casual chuckle and a pause says "Your". Listen closely! :)

or maybe I thought it said "you and I" but when i saw the subtitles saw that it was "you're not"...

i get confused easily :roll:

im hopeless :D

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#29 Post by 52FM » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:35 pm

According to the IMDb site, under memorable quotes, it's "you're not hopeless". But they could be wrong. I'm no expert, I only saw it once myself. But if it is different than I thought, it will change my viewpoint also.

I have a humorous story (well, funny to me at least) about misinterpretting things. (And no, it's not thinking Hendrix said "excuse me while I kiss this guy.")

Anyone see the classic animated film The Snowman? I really got into stuff like that when my kids were growing up (one of the side benefits of having kids is you get to see a lot of great movies and TV shows you maybe wouldn't see otherwise.) Anyway, this kid builds a snowman, it comes to life, they fly off to a magic place, the music is pretty good at that point, the next day

****SPOILER ALERT****

The snowman melts. The boy is sad, but happy for the times they had together. (Maybe it's an kiddie version of LiT??) Anyway, you really want to believe it happened and it wasn't a dream. At the end - the screen shows the words "The Snowman Was". And I told my kids that meant we were to always believe in magic and happiness and things like that. After seeing it a few times over the years, one of my kids told me "no Dad, read the rest. It says the Snowman Was...
written by so-and so
directed by so and so
animation by so and so
etc.

Well, I guess my lesson was that not everything has a deep meaning.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#30 Post by Congruous » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:24 pm

It is "You're not hopeless."

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

You're Not Hopeless

#31 Post by I65 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:58 pm

52FM wrote:According to the IMDb site, under memorable quotes, it's "you're not hopeless". But they could be wrong. I'm no expert, I only saw it once myself. But if it is different than I thought, it will change my viewpoint also.
Yes, those few words kind of change the dynamic of their relationship for me from "you and I are hopeless" (we are the same) to you're not hopeless (more of a paternal caring comment). It really changes the dynamic of how I felt Bill looked at the relationship. I didn't get a chance to see the movie again last night, but I am going to have to watch it again this weekend and see how it changes for me in that context.

By the way 52, can I call you 52? Anyway, I was just thinking, I know you said you would never watch the movie again, since it would never be the same, and it had such an emotional impact on you, but I just wonder if with your new found closure on that part of your life, if you could now enjoy it as "a movie" rather than someone looking into your soul and putting it up on the screen for all to see. Just thought that you might enjoy it, especially knowing what a catalyst it became for you working through issues that you had kept buried for so long. Just an idea...and quite the run on sentance if I may add :mrgreen:

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#32 Post by 52FM » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:44 pm

I may see LiT again someday; in fact I'm sure I will. But not for a while yet. No real reason not to anymore, except now that "Bob/Char" is in my past, it sort of seems too soon to watch it. Probably in a few months.

And yes Ith (may I call you Ith? 65 doesn't sound right.), you may call me 52. Heck, you can call me 5 if you'd like.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

Re: LiT Discussions

#33 Post by A moment of silence » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:53 pm

Lydia: is she responsible for Bob’s dissatisfaction? Well, maybe. I believe they both had something to do with it. He had to work and she decided to become more a mother than a wife. I have not been through this so this is from a teen's point of view.

Sofia: I have to say, there is not much conversaton between the characters. Most of the time they would say a few things and then shush. The only scene were they spoke for a while was the Shushi restaurant scene and The Bed scene. The movie was made in the most edited and short way possible. All we needed to know was that they found each other in the oddest of times, but in the best of manners.

Bob/Charlotte: I believe there were a few parts never shown. For example: the ride to Charlie's house, how bob and charlotte met after the "are you wake" note, scenes in the kareaoke, like when they were getting high, the other half of "more than this", Bob and Charlotte going back home after the Hospital...a few.

Intergenerational connections: I would not care. Their life, not mine. I am very open minded, and after watching this movie I am for it!

That's my quarter. :)
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last