LiT the script

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Chube0
Tourist

LiT the script

#1 Post by Chube0 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:12 pm

I’ve just read the script to LiT and I found it much different from the movie. Some of the scenes in the movie got placed in different spots like the day were bob goes golfing is a lot different in the script than in the movie. Also there was a lot of dialog that was added and taken out; there were also a couple scenes that I think were very important that also got taken out of the movie.
The emotions in the script seem to feel more strait forward and different then the emotions I picked up in the movie. All in all though I would have liked it if they had added more of the scenes and kept some of the dialog, but on the other side of things some of the dialog they changed was way better than what Sofia had written. I would highly recommend reading the script if you’re a fan of the movie and if your a fast reader it will probably take you less time to read it than watch the movie. Also tell me what you think about it all I would really like to know.
though we cannot make our sun
Stand still, yet we will make him run.

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#2 Post by Autumn Child » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:02 am

i downloaded the script and im really glad all the changes were made

everything was a lot more subtle in the film and things were said without being said, if you know what i mean :)

like the scene where John (im losing my memory! Charlotte's husband is called John right?) asks Charlotte about the soul's search tape and says something like 'it's okay to be upset'.

the final script = much better :D

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

justlikehoney
Lost In Jet Lag

#3 Post by justlikehoney » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:13 am

There were a few scenes I wish had been kept. Of course, a lot of good stuff in the movie was improvised, so that wouldn't be in the script. But the script itself had these little details I really liked. One that stood out: the part when John's in the shower and is talking to Charlotte about the shoot.

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#4 Post by jml2 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:56 am

reading the script feels different than the movie also because music is a huge part of the movie, I think

LITobsession
Park Hyatt Regular

#5 Post by LITobsession » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:04 pm

Where'd you get the script?

Any transcripts online?
I'm still lost...

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

LiT Script

#6 Post by 52FM » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:47 am

http://www.movie-page.com/movie_scripts.htm

There is a link to a PDF file; note there are enough scripts on this site to keep you reading for months!
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

jml98
Asleep

#7 Post by jml98 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:45 pm

i love how different the ending in the script and movie is so different...it's much better this way. it was so perfect, it couldn't have been scripted

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#8 Post by silvermoon » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:17 am

just a query; if the script is quite different from the final film, how does the academy decide if it deserves the oscar? you can't judge from the film because it is so superior and much of it was improvised, so how do they do it? any ideas?

Chube0
Tourist

#9 Post by Chube0 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:54 pm

I think you could watch the movie and interpret the script/screenplay into what it would be like. I also think the movie is like the final version of the script. So in some ways you could see it like that but it is a very good question and I would still like to know how they do it.
though we cannot make our sun
Stand still, yet we will make him run.

jml98
Asleep

#10 Post by jml98 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:16 pm

also, i don't think that the script on that website is the final one. i think it was the first draft (but i may be completely wrong)

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#11 Post by Autumn Child » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:56 pm

jml98 wrote:also, i don't think that the script on that website is the final one. i think it was the first draft (but i may be completely wrong)
yeh, it is very different :)

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

justlikehoney
Lost In Jet Lag

#12 Post by justlikehoney » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:19 am

It could be the final version or not. The thing is, this movie was done in a flexible manner. Certain restrictions and problems during production changed certain aspects of the movie. A lot of times when you get on set, different ideas come to you and changes are made on the fly.

It's interesting to know that the script itself isn't actually the kind that would usually get made. The writing is a little unusual in terms of style. Sometimes the Academy will be diplomatic and spread the awards around to give every deserving film something, even when the choices don't make perfect sense. For example, a movie can win Best Picture and Best Actor/Actress but not win Best Director.

What they say is that the Academy gave the Oscar to the screenplay of LIT because Lord of the Rings was more deserving of Best Picture (not my opinion), but they didn't want to let LIT go empty-handed, either, so they gave it Best Screenplay. I hope this all made sense.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by jm » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:07 am

"[quote:1dc6db7ae7="justlikehoney"]What they say is that the Academy gave the Oscar to the screenplay of LIT because Lord of the Rings was more deserving of Best Picture (not my opinion), but they didn't want to let LIT go empty-handed, either, so they gave it Best Screenplay.[/quote:1dc6db7ae7]
What would have made sense to me would be LOTR getting best effects, and nothing else, unless there's a best original source material. 8)"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#14 Post by adrien950 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:47 pm

Please don't hate me for saying this :oops: .... I loved Lord of the Rings..I found the acting, directing, adaptation, and of course special effects to be amazing! I cannot compare L.O.T.R. to L.I.T. at all. They are two VERY different types of films.
I wish the Academy would just divide the catagory into "Best Hollywood Blockbuster Of The Year" and "Best Independant Film Of The Year" so both types of filmmakers could get there recognition that they both deserve. Everyone would be happy! :D

justlikehoney
Lost In Jet Lag

#15 Post by justlikehoney » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:18 pm

The films are night and day, absolutely. I fell asleep during LOTR. But lots of people fell asleep during LIT. I didn't expect LIT to win, even though I really wanted it to.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#16 Post by jm » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:44 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#17 Post by jml2 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:49 pm

I fell asleep during the most recent Star Wars movie

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#18 Post by jm » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:14 pm

"[quote:0d54f2d85a="jml2"]I fell asleep during the most recent Star Wars movie[/quote:0d54f2d85a]
WOW, how DID you manage to do that?
I had to sit through that one myself. At least that's all there'll be."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#19 Post by preciouswhile » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:19 am

johnmonkey wrote:
jml2 wrote:I fell asleep during the most recent Star Wars movie
WOW, how DID you manage to do that?
I had to sit through that one myself. At least that's all there'll be.
Until the sitcom anyway...

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#20 Post by adrien950 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:25 am

O my Gosh! I think I might be the only person on Earth that could love great films like LIT, Eternal Sunshine..,The Virgin Suicides and be a Star Wars Fanboy who thinks any Star Wars is a great Star Wars movie. :P :? :P
(I think I might need help!)