FAVOURITE PART OF LIT.

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

park hyatt
Tourist

FAVOURITE PART OF LIT.

#1 Post by park hyatt » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:59 pm

MY IS THE KAROKE BIT AND THE HEY YOU SCENE. WHATS EVERYONES FAV PART? ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I AM ONLY GOING TO POST ON HERE FROM NOW ON,(I USED TO POST ON IMDB) BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE A COMPLETE HATRED FOR LIT ASTONISHES ME. THEY ARE NOTHING MORE THAN NARROW MINDED MORONS!! ANYTIME I POSTED ON IMDB ABOUT LIT, PEOPLE WOULD SLATE IT ALL THE TIME OR INSULT ME ABOUT LIT SAYING IT WAS BORING OR THEY DID NOT GET IT. MOST PEOPLE ON IMDB HAD A HATRED FOR SOFIA AND SCARLET ANYTIME I POSTED A VIEW ABOUT THEM. BUT ANYWAY I AM SO GLAD I FOUND WEAREAWAKE TO TALK TO OTHER FANS AND KNOW THAT YOU WONT BE INSULTED OR GOT THE PISS TAKEN OUT OF FOR LOVING THIS WONDERFUL PIECE OF CINEMA. SO I M GLAD I AM NOT LOST AND THAT I FOUND US THE WE ARE AWAKE FAMILY.

Silver
Wide Awake

#2 Post by Silver » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:57 pm

Spoiler Alert-

My favorite scenes are the the two commercial shoots, the karaoke sequence, lying on the bed talking about careers, marriage and children and the final minutes (their public but oh so private parting) and the ride back to the airport in the limo.

The children discussion always connects with me. Bill Murray's love for his wife and six sons is evident and it is something that he cherishes deeply. In this one scene, he drops his guard and lets the public see the private Murray for only the second time in his movie career to this point. (In my opinion, the first time was a scene in "Groundhog Day" - talking with Andie MacDowell in bed).

Congruous
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Congruous » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:05 pm

Hey, Park, I'm glad you're here, but please hit your "Caps Lock" button and leave it off. You don't need to shout here.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by I65 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:49 pm

Yes Park, this is a great spot to be for LIT fans.

As for your question, can I say the whole film? I can't think of any parts that I don't like really.

I love the part where he rests his hand on her foot, and when he squeezes her shoulder after he puts her to bed. Maybe it is a "chick" thing but I love the intimate, yet innocent touches.

Wing Fat
Tokyo Insomniac

#5 Post by Wing Fat » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:11 am

I am also new here and glad I found this forum.

This was such an amazing, special movie for me on so many levels, I can't possibly pick a "favorite part." If I tried I would ramble off scene after scene.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#6 Post by adrien950 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:09 am

My favorite scene is their last night together when they're just looking at each other and not saying a word. You know what their feeling just by the look in their eyes. All you hear is the woohoo lounge singer in the background.

Also...I just want to welcome Wing Fat and park hyatt. I hope you all enjoy yourselves as much as I do on this site. :wink:

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#7 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:10 pm

I welcome the new members. I'm a newbie too, so I understand you very well.
I adore the scene where Bob's curtain opens by itself. It makes me laugh. And the scene where he takes photos making faces of The Rat Pack and Roger Moore. When Charlotte is by herself puttign makeup on its cool too. Bu tthese are just scenes I like, I don't have favorites. It's hard to pick. I'll have to say the whole movie it's a favorite motion picture of mine.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

Wing Fat
Tokyo Insomniac

#8 Post by Wing Fat » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:00 pm

A moment of silence wrote:And the scene where he takes photos making faces of The Rat Pack and Roger Moore.
Here's an example of why I couldn't pick a favorite scene... that one scene is fully of so much great stuff. "...where the hell's the whiskey?" "Am I drinking? As soon as I'm done." "You mean more or Roger Moore?" And the when-will-it-end look on Bob's face at the very end of that scene is classic.

You could take every scene and dissect a ton of great stuff from it.
Last edited by Wing Fat on Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#9 Post by adrien950 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:42 am

I totally forgot the part were he says the line: For Relaxing Times, Make It Suntory Time---and then the director screams..the exact opposite of relaxing. That scene is so funny!
Your right! It is impossible to pick a favorite part..it's all amazing! :D

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#10 Post by preciouswhile » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:26 pm

In the car after karaoke. Pretty much that whole sequence in the taxi, and including the part where Bob carries Charlotte down the hall, into her room, and puts her to bed with MBV just barely audible.

Beautiful.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by I65 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:17 pm

Not to dis your new icon, but Adrien, but I miss the one that went through the different images and said something like your tag line, one word on each picture. That was so cool!

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#12 Post by The Shoegazer » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:32 pm

mine was when Bill was singing "More Than This" to Charlotte. Very emotional. and of course the part when Bill just turns away from Charlotte when he is walking away from her and the first few notes of Just Like Honey start playing, I get chills down my spine every time

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#13 Post by A moment of silence » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:06 pm

Who doesnt? It's a powerful scene.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#14 Post by adrien950 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:50 am

Hello Ith, Thanks about the icon..I was having some problems with it so it was temporarily not available..so since currently I'm at Evelyn Waugh status I used the Kelly Photo as a goof.

Favorite scene#3--The lunch after Bob's affair. Charlotte's facial expressions are wonderful. :wink:

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#15 Post by KKDallas » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:23 am

So many favorites of mine:

1. John and Charlotte meeting Kelly in the lobby. Watching Charlotte watch Kelly and John is priceless!

2. JOhn, Charlotte, Kelly and her BF in the bar and Kelly is droning on and on about her not being anorexic ("I'm not anorexic. I eat junk food all the time". "Oh, I thought you were". "Thank you!") This just cracks me up every time.

3. The commercial shoot..."cut-oh, cut-oh, cut-oh!" "Are you sure that is everything because it sounded like he was saying more?"

4. The photo shoot and all the banter between Bob and Nako....."James Bond drinks martinis but OK...." Are you drinking?"..."Not yet"...."you so sexy!"

5. Loved the Japanese call girl scene, too. More slapstick but still makes me laugh.

6. Love seeing Bob knock on Charlottes door....him in the camoflage tshirt...Charlotte kind of acting shy and giddy around him.

7. Also love him carrying her back to her room, covering her up, wanting to kiss her and she falls asleep. Then Bob kind of shrugs like "Just my luck". Then he walks down the long hallway. I can tell he wanted to stay with her.

8. Love the hospital scene, too. Bob makes little comments to other patients "Switched to beer, huh". Loved the interaction with the old man and watching the 2 ladies in the background laugh.

9. I also like the karoke scene. I was ready for Bob to break into Bill Murray doing the lounge singer skit from SNL..remember Nick, the singer? "Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars. It's just Star Wars, just Star Wars" all sung to the Star Wars theme.

I could go on and on but I shall stop for now. LOL

Kathy

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#16 Post by 52FM » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:14 pm

Welcome back, KKDallas!
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

jml98
Asleep

#17 Post by jml98 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:58 am

my favorite scene is the conversation on the bed scene

but there is a little hidden gem in the middle (at least for me). It's when Charlotte gives Bob that note that says "Call if you get lost"...so much meaning in 5 short words...

i love the Shabu-Shabu lunch scene; charlotte's expressions means so much...i love the karaoke scene, when the words Bob sang were more than lyrics to a song...i love the whisper scene; there could be no more appropriate ending....still gets me when i watch it

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#18 Post by jml2 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:12 am

KKDallas wrote: I was ready for Bob to break into Bill Murray doing the lounge singer skit from SNL..remember Nick, the singer? "Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars. It's just Star Wars, just Star Wars" all sung to the Star Wars theme.
this sounds hilarious, we didn't have SNL where I am from

Barmydreams
Sleepless in Tokyo

#19 Post by Barmydreams » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:50 am

All the scenes ive read on this thread are priceless; but one thats not been mentioned and I think speaks volumes is the elevator scene on the final night. Not much is said, but much can be understood from their body language, classic! :wink: :D

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#20 Post by 52FM » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:27 am

Good choice for a discussion. I know Congruous has some definite thoughts on this scene - and while I personally don't agree with them I have come to relaize his point of view, especially from a few screen caps he did to show his point. I wait to see if he jumps into the discusion.

It's fun to have new members with fresh enthusiam for this remarkable film!