I cant stop thinking about Lost In Translation

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

josh
Awake

2 years later

#81 Post by josh » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 pm

i have been visiting links and fan sites for "lost" for 3 months now. I started watching the movie again after a one year hiatus and feel like i'm "addicted" again. I wondered what would happen to Bob and Charlotte after the movie ended. In my case it meant i needed to change my life and get a divorce. I can't help but wonder if LIT finally gave me the courage to do it. Are we in too deep? or is it just me? :?:
too good to be true

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#82 Post by A moment of silence » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:32 pm

Did you get a divorce? and change your life?
Well, what can I tell you? This film is addictive; it takes you to a world filled with excitement, hope, romance and then uncertainty. I always become impressed by the way the film leaves you and eventhough you loved it, you wanted to see more and know more about the characters. I guess Sophia did it on purpose. * It is a film meant to be discussed and ripped apart because there are so many messages, symbols and hidden "treasures" in it.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: 2 years later

#83 Post by jm » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:19 pm

"[quote:5ad254cc58="josh"]i have been visiting links and fan sites for "lost" for 3 months now. [/quote:5ad254cc58]
Any good fan sites? :D"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

josh
Awake

did i get a divorce?

#84 Post by josh » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:43 pm

I did get a divorce. I had that relationship that bob had. It came to an end not unfamiliar to the movie. Problem is that it doesn't go away. Sometimes it take a stranger to help you know who you are and allow you to be yourself again. The strength of this movie and what pulls me is not how good the acting was but maybe how real the actors were allowed to be. I have watched alot of Bill Murray films in my life and to see him "play" himself or atleast the person I always perceived him to be is quite powerful to me. Scarlett was a stranger in many senses, especially viewing her character unfold. You wonder what would happen if you said and did the things you felt at the moment. It changes your life forever. Bob and Charlotte,and their lives, will never be the same...I guarentee it. I keep watching this film to see whats next. Well what's next?
too good to be true

Congruous
Suntory Time

#85 Post by Congruous » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:49 pm

The movie leaves that question open. It wouldn't be the same movie if it answered it. I guess some of us assume they go on with their lives without meeting up again, but we'll never know. There's that poignant pull there; on the one hand, one wants to say, "Why shouldn't they be together?" but on the other side, one has to ask, "How could they be together?"
"Are there no more arrows left?"

josh
Awake

whats next

#86 Post by josh » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:13 pm

The poingnancy gets lost because either Bob or Charlotte will always want to get back to that point were they fell in love. For better or worse. I always felt they admitted their love at the karoake bar. The strtuggle of whats next seemed to happen on the bench outside. That was their chance chance to make something work. They didn't have the strength inside, drunk or not.If Bob or Charlotte or any of us would be satisfied with a simple whisper goodbye no relationships would end badly. I think Charlotte walks away content but that satisfaction will soon end. Bob got what he wanted, she didn't. If we could tell the people we love the things we can admit to strangers it might be different but Charlotte is far from that stage andBob too far removed.
too good to be true

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#87 Post by A moment of silence » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:31 am

Josh, my man, you pointed out things I forgot to mention but thought about.
I think that they DID in fact show their affection throw songs in the Karaoke Bar. Once on the bech they knew what they were feeling and that the other one felt it too but did not do anything about it because they knew about the consequences of having an affair. (They had an arial affair, not said or written in paper, but implied). Also I guess Bob got what he wanted but Charlotte not as much. She did get the love back but she is too young and her life isnt as settled as Bob's so it would take her a lot more to fix her relationship or to make it last than to Bob... What happens after the end? They go back to their lives as completely changed individuals with a new view of opportunities and life and unexpected great encounters that make you happy and teach you about yourself ... The end is opened to your thoughts, opinions, ideas and interpretations, Josh, so what may have happened is very personal, depends on you
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

Hugsy
Tourist

#88 Post by Hugsy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm so enjoying reading all answers to this topic. To see, that there are just so many who think about the movie just like me.

Recently, I'm watching LiT almost Everyday, not the whole movie but little scenes that I like.
It is just so relaxing and I can get away from my daily life for this few moments.

I so wanna go to Japan..

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#89 Post by I65 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:12 pm

Welcome :D

#90 Post by Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:26 am

Hugsy wrote:Hi everyone!
I'm so enjoying reading all answers to this topic. To see, that there are just so many who think about the movie just like me.
Ah another one enters the LIT Zone...
Welcome!

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#91 Post by Flyonthewall » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:53 am

Just like the others, I too have enjoyed everyone's posts.

And, just like others here, I now feel like Im not alone in feeling that this movie did relate deeply, since I see tons of similarities between Bob's predicament and my own (loveless marriage, kids miss me but no one "needs" me to be there, etc. etc.).

I guess the bottom line is that we are ALL looking for our own "Charlotte". Some lucky ones have already found him / her in their lives. Some of us are still searching :wink:
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#92 Post by jm » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:05 am

"[quote:8273ae2879="Flyonthewall"]I guess the bottom line is that we are ALL looking for our own "Charlotte". Some lucky ones have already found him / her in their lives. Some of us are still searching :wink:[/quote:8273ae2879]
Well...I did find, at least, my Lydia.
:roll:"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#93 Post by Flyonthewall » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:20 am

LOL.. I can certainly relate there.. :roll:

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#94 Post by jm » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:27 am

"[quote:598608fc27="Flyonthewall"]LOL.. I can certainly relate there.. :roll:[/quote:598608fc27]
It's not as bad as Mr. Harris makes it out to be. I wouldn't give it up. But I'll be happy to see a Charlotte now and then."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#95 Post by Flyonthewall » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:39 am

johnmonkey wrote:
Flyonthewall wrote:LOL.. I can certainly relate there.. :roll:
It's not as bad as Mr. Harris makes it out to be. I wouldn't give it up. But I'll be happy to see a Charlotte now and then.
I see your point and yeah, there is a certain level of comfort and familiarity that you don't want to let go. I guess it'd be nice to make the same connection with someone like in the movie. :)

Wouldnt hurt if she looked like Scarlett Johansson too.. :lol:

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#96 Post by jm » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:43 am

"[quote:3e3904cc4c="Flyonthewall"]Wouldnt hurt if she looked like Scarlett Johansson too.. :lol:[/quote:3e3904cc4c]
Well I don't care so much about that. I'm happy if I can look at someone without feeling pain. :shock:"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#97 Post by Flyonthewall » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:45 am

johnmonkey wrote: Well I don't care so much about that. I'm happy if I can look at someone without feeling pain. :shock:
LOL.. ouch..I'd be happy too :D

se7en
Traveler

#98 Post by se7en » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:11 am

yeh i cant stop thinking about the movie either, i only saw it a week ago for the first time!

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#99 Post by Flyonthewall » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:05 pm

se7en wrote:yeh i cant stop thinking about the movie either, i only saw it a week ago for the first time!
Welcome :D Pull up a seat and join in. I think you are among friends here but I'm kinda new too so..lol

I guess if you've read the previous posts, you're not alone.. The movie's affected many people, on so many levels.. I think especially people who've just seen it for the first time... at least it did to me. :lol: I think someone's already made a comment that I'll echo about how its still amazing and a testament to the movie that people are still joining the forum to express themselves, even though the movie's been out for a while.

And even though its not as busy as it was (from the previous threads and posts I've read), I think everyone likes the fact that there is a place to go and express yourself about how the movie got to ya.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#100 Post by 52FM » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:28 pm

Welcome new members!

I know this is a place of solitude for me, even though I dont' contrbute as much as before. It's become an old friend or a comfortable chair or whatever metaphor you'd like to use.

I know the day will come sometime in the future that Bob will bid his farewell and close the board; or I'll click on my link in the favorites and get a "not found" message. When that day comes I'll be sad but I will drink a silent toast to an internet community that literally changed my life!

Again - welcome!
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."