IMDB

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

IMDB

#1 Post by 52FM » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:20 pm

I lurked over to imdb's LiT board today and there is a whole new group of posters there - still the same old "most boring..." disucssions, but...
several great threads, including one on Platonic Love that I thought of jumping in on, but decided I talked it all out of my system a while ago.

Add that to the new members here- and I wonder why the sudden upswing again? I haven't noticed it playing on cable but maybe it is.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#2 Post by Flyonthewall » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:37 pm

Ya know.. To tell you the truth, I've never seen this on cable yet. :(

I wonder why? Has it been on cable? If not, why haven't they shown it. I've seen "Life Aquatic..." and several of Scarlett's movies (both prior and after LIT) being shown on cable but I havent seen LIT. :?

I gotta take a gander to IMDB there and check that out too.. :D

thanks 52FM
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:18 am

I saw it on cable last April sometime. It was on quite frequently for a while as I remember in April and MAy. I think it was Encore.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by 52FM » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:07 pm

Interesting take - I never heard a female perspective on it like this.. very true and mature I believe (from an IMDB thread):

To say I was stunned to find Sofia had revealed 'the secret' - about the existence of a platonic-but-highly-sexually-charged love between older (often married) men & young women just starting out in life - is an understatement. These relationships are rarely spoken of - not even here (not one post from what I can tell scanning the topic lines). I find this very surprising because I suspect they occur with great frequency.

Many young (18+) woman experience this as they move from their familial relationships, esp. the one with their father....to life on their own. The movie has caused me to think back to my 'Bob' with such fond memories - I am almost tempted to send him a copy of the movie as if to say 'thank you'. I don't know if these men know how important they are in the lives of young women - Perhaps they do - if the stats reported here are correct, about how that demographic scores high in terms of enjoyment of the film - I certainly hope they know.

Platonic is the key: the sexual is understood, a given - and I suspect a big part of what Bob whispered to Charlotte; there is no need to 'make common' the bond that develops by taking it to that level. Very astute of Sofia to be able to capture this relationship & time in people's lives so succinctly on the big screen.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#5 Post by findingcharlotte » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:24 am

very insightful and honest........
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."