Karaoke Scene

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Congruous
Suntory Time

#21 Post by Congruous » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:09 am

Whatever Coppola'a intentions were, the cigarette is an interesting way to delineate relationships. If my memory serves me well, we don't see any cigarettes after the karoake scene. They aren't needed anymore.

On a related note, one of my favorite parts of the movie is the seismic shift that occurs when the movie goes from the scene in Charlie's apartment where they are all dancing to "Too Young" and then slams into Charlie singing "God Save the Queen." That's good stuff.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#22 Post by A moment of silence » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:28 pm

[quote="Congruous"]Whatever Coppola'a intentions were, the cigarette is an interesting way to delineate relationships. If my memory serves me well, we don't see any cigarettes after the karoake scene. They aren't needed anymore. * Eeeeexaclty.*

*Oh, I like that shift as well, it's awesome.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#23 Post by preciouswhile » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:05 pm

52FM wrote: John was trying to control Charlotte - demanding that she stop smoking.

So I think John was projecting control over her
I don't think he demanded. He did say please after all.

More interesting to me was Charlotte's reply. "I like to. I don't really smoke that much" and then "Meh, I'll quit later"

Charlotte was already unhappy with how the trip was going, and with how John was acting. Her tone, to me, sounded like she was disagreeing with John simply to be contrary, as a result of her dissatisfaction.

You know, like she couldn't actually voice her unhappiness to John so she takes it out in other ways: smoking when she knows he hates it, and then being flippant when he asks her to quit and shows concern for her health.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#24 Post by jm » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:44 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#25 Post by preciouswhile » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:52 pm

Heh. You've got me there. You'll just have to forgive my non-married interpretations.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#26 Post by hull_street » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:09 pm

johnmonkey wrote:What do we know about drabthehours? They're not married!
drabthehours wrote:Heh. You've got me there. You'll just have to forgive my non-married interpretations.
Married interpretation of the scene:

John: Will you please stop smoking?

Interpretation: The girlfriends I keep on the side can smell it on my clothes, and you're ruining my rep as a young, hip jet-setter. Plus, all my guy-friends think that I am a wuss, because I can't bend you to my will. You're dragging me down, and I am looking for the exit-sign already.

Charlotte: I like to, I don't really smoke that much.

Interpretation: I would rather die an early death, than live a long, healthy life dealing with your control-issues, freak. I only keep smoking to annoy you, actually. As soon as you are gone, so are the cigs.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#27 Post by jm » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:45 pm

"[quote:1426b752c5="hull_street"]The girlfriends I keep on the side can smell it on my clothes, and you're ruining my rep as a young, hip jet-setter.[/quote:1426b752c5]
Pish tosh, he doesn't have any girlfriend(s) on the side. He just wants his wife to get a life and stop tagging along when he's trying to work."

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#28 Post by I65 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:23 pm

johnmonkey wrote:
hull_street wrote:The girlfriends I keep on the side can smell it on my clothes, and you're ruining my rep as a young, hip jet-setter.
Pish tosh, he doesn't have any girlfriend(s) on the side. He just wants his wife to get a life and stop tagging along when he's trying to work.
OK, however contrast that to the bed scene, where Bob remenisces (sp) about the good times that he and wifey had bc (before children) when she would accompany him making his movies.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#29 Post by Congruous » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:12 pm

"Pish tosh?" Having a bad day, JM? Keep it friendly, please.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#30 Post by A moment of silence » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:35 pm

OK, however contrast that to the bed scene, where Bob remenisces (sp) about the good times that he and wifey had bc (before children) when she would accompany him making his movies.[/quote]

* That is a really great point. Could you expand on that, please? :)

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#31 Post by I65 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:12 pm

A moment of silence wrote:OK, however contrast that to the bed scene, where Bob remenisces (sp) about the good times that he and wifey had bc (before children) when she would accompany him making his movies.

* That is a really great point. Could you expand on that, please? :)
Well, as JM said, John's attitude towards Charolette was a bit "you're in my way, I'm trying to work here, while Bob on the other hand missed those times early in his marriage to Lydia when she would come on the set with him and they would laugh.

This could illistrate a couple of different things, one, that Charolette's marriage was already "broken" even before the life altering change of kids came. After all, at 2 years, they are still kind of "newly weds", and already John sees her as in his way.

Or, could it be that Bob has idealized the begining of his marriage, because things have become so distant between him and Lydia now. Who knows? At the time, he may also of resented her constant presence when he could have been hitting up on the starlet du jour in one of his films, but looking back on it now, it is a fond memory.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#32 Post by jm » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:36 am

"[quote:13ad148738="Ithildriel65"]Well, as JM said, John's attitude towards Charolette was a bit "you're in my way, I'm trying to work here, while Bob on the other hand missed those times early in his marriage to Lydia when she would come on the set with him and they would laugh.[/quote:13ad148738]
Another way to say it would be that John wants his wife to get her own damn life, and Bob was happier when his wife didn't have one and he was the center of her universe."

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#33 Post by A moment of silence » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:46 pm

And then some!

Congruous
Suntory Time

#34 Post by Congruous » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:52 pm

The "read:"

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#35 Post by A moment of silence » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:04 pm

Heck, yes...that's one deep look coming from Charlotte

Pitman
Suntory Time

#36 Post by Pitman » Sat May 06, 2006 3:06 am

Yes, this is truly one of the climactic scenes in the movie along with the bedroom scene when they fall asleep together which happened the night after the Karaoke scene.

Their feelings for each other are evident during Karaoke. Charlotte is shy, but she continues to maintain eye contact with Bob. She does trust him and feels a very strong connection to him.

DIO
Tourist

#37 Post by DIO » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:56 am

i need to know something ..that's important... karaoke scene, she's singing something ..make make you make you ..what the hell is she singing???

..thanks.

K
LIT Super Fan

#38 Post by K » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:54 am

The song is "Brass In Pocket" by "The Pretenders".

DIO
Tourist

#39 Post by DIO » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:18 pm

thank you very much!