Broken Flowers

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#21 Post by The Shoegazer » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:25 pm

Yeah, good point about the ending. Dont want to give anything away but one of the reasons why so many people may not like the movie is because of the ending(lack of it). Its an original movie, very slow paced in which Bill doesn't have great lot of monologues but plays extremely well with his face expression(s). Refreshing with some scenes borderline of minimalism and brilliance.
Here we are, Stuck by this river

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#22 Post by jml2 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:47 am

I saw it on a flight from Aus to USA. I enjoyed it.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#23 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue May 16, 2006 7:59 pm

To revive a very old thread, I finally got the gumption to rent and see this movie last night (refrained from it before, mostly due to unimpressive feedback from here and there). I thought it was very calm and intriguing, but one must realize the importance of Bill's role as Don... there is no one actor out there who can say so much without saying anything at all. I thought some of the subtlety applied to his character was beautifully acted, something which requires one's full attention to appreciate. Agreed, though, in the sense that if I went into this movie with any expectations at all, I most likely would have been disappointed, but after willing myself to just "go with the flow", I came out feeling a very empty fullness, if that makes any sense. I found Ebert's review (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 22001/1023, although I usually find Ebert to be close-minded and judgemental) to identify well with what I ended up feeling about this movie. Here's a quote that I found particularly insightful:
After the film's premiere at Cannes, I observed: "Some actors give the kinds of performances where we want to get out of the room, stand on the lawn and watch them through a window. Murray has the uncanny ability to invite us into his performance, into his stillness and sadness. I don't know how he does it. A Bill Murray imitation would be a pitiful sight: Passive immobility, small gestures of the eyes, enigmatic comments, yes, those would be easy, but how does he suggest the low tones of crashing chaotic uncertainty?"
Although not everyone was impressed with the movie, for anyone who was not blown away by Bill's performance per se, I think this is entitled to a re-watch.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#24 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:54 am

I finally saw this the other night, and i really enjoyed it. I like watching Bill's facial expressions.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#25 Post by Pitman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:14 am

I guess I was one of those who had high expectations for this film. I was disappointed about different aspects of the film. I didn't like the soundtrack, the next-door neighbour seemed over-acted, the ending tried to be too enigmatic. It was as if the director was trying to take elements from Lost in Translation and apply them here, especially Bill's minimalist acting...which I found to be overdone here. There were some very good scenes in the movie however. So, I will probably watch it again down the road and see if perhaps I'd enjoy it more the second time around.

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#26 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 pm

I went in to it blindly. I didn't know the storyline/plot. I just knew that Bill was in it, and Sharon Stone too. I guess that could be one of the reasons i enjoyed it. I went in to it without any expectations.
Edited to add: The lighting and flow of it didn't make me think of Lost In Translation, but of a French film called La Vie Promise

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#27 Post by Suntory » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:09 pm

I finally watched the film last night. After reading so many diverse opinions here I have to now say I side with those who didnt like it.

First of all it looks like Jarmusch saw LIT quite a few times and was
fixiated on a few scenes from it like where Bob is sitting on the
side of his hotel bed in that robe. It seems like half of this movie is another
version of that scene except in a room or an airplane or something
ad nauseum!!!

The pace is very slow with a lot of repetitive things going on that only serve to slow the film even more and
the only reason I didn't stop watching it after 15 minutes was because
Bill was in it and I wanted to see what happened to him.

Regardless of Bill's acting ability, I found his character completely unsympathetic and flat and not caring for him at all
or even understanding why the other characters in the film cared about
him either.

Ultimately the film nor the story seems to serve any purpose or have any life or life affirming qualities to it that makes the film in any way
enjoyable or wanting to sympathise or root for the character. Overall I give it 1 star out of 4!!!

To compare this film with LIT I have to say that LIT is the superior film.
I don't know what the big deal with Jarmusch is but Sofia made such a
much better film. One could compare the films due to their underlying
nature and the characters but there is just so much more life and sypathy
and purpose to Sofia's film in the understated nature that there is really
no comparison as far as I am concerned.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#28 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:13 am

Oh, LiT will always be the superior film :wink: .
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Duguesclin
Lost In Jet Lag

what to say

#29 Post by Duguesclin » Sat May 24, 2014 2:32 am

I saw that movie yesterday on TV indeed for the first time...never too late..
I recognized Bob when he was in bed with Sharon..Exactly like in Hyatt Hotell with he waked up with the jazz singer the day after..too much Champagne...
Good movie, great Bill ..But it had been nice to see Charlotte opening another door while Don was searching...What a surprise..!!!!
Nothing more than this!