Play It Again Sam...er um...I mean Charlotte!!!

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#21 Post by preciouswhile » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Ithildriel65 wrote:lol the one thing that I haven't seem to have found is someone who LOVES Bill Murray's dance to "Allison"
And now you have. Love the whole of the special features, but especially that and the "Making Out in Japanese".

My aim is true!

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#22 Post by Suntory » Mon May 15, 2006 3:22 pm

Watched it again Saturday afternoon for the umpteenth time.
Yes its not the same as the first or second time but there are still parts
that move me when they occur. Also I look at other things in the
frame and see more things I didn't notice as much before.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#23 Post by Pitman » Wed May 24, 2006 2:17 pm

Watched it again Sunday night after returning from BC. This was my 8th viewing. The 2nd and 3rd time I watched this movie had the most emotional impact. But, I have yet to get tired of it. I still look forward to watching it on the weekend late at night. It's an Event for me. I still think the first night out capping off with the Karaoke scene is my favourite part of the movie. I feel as if I'm there with them. No other movie has ever made me feel as if I was right in the middle of the action so much. This is the closest I'll get to Tokyo until I physically get there. Sofia did such a great job representing the wonder of Japan through a foreigner's eyes.

Nak Nak
Awake

#24 Post by Nak Nak » Wed May 24, 2006 2:24 pm

I watched most of it in bed the other night on my Iaudio because I couldn't sleep. All in all I think I've watched the whole film about 5 times.
----------------
It's a godawful small affair
To the girl with the mousy hair

Pitman
Suntory Time

#25 Post by Pitman » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:17 am

Hey gang! I'm just about to watch LiT for the 14th time! w00t! This is a historic night for me, since I've never seen a movie this many times. Although I haven't had the emotional impact during the last several viewings as I used to get in the beginning, I still love this movie so so much and just imagine myself lost in this dreamworld we call Lost In Translation with Bob and Charlotte in Tokyo. The first night out with Karaoke remains my fav sequence of all time. Cheers all!!

Pitman
Suntory Time

#26 Post by Pitman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:46 pm

I seem to have reached a saturation point after viewing #14. I put it on a few times after that, and I ended up falling asleep. Seems I have to be in the right mood now for it...and space out the viewings. I'm planning on completing my 15th watch tonight....

This may become a monthly thing rather than a weekly thing as it was up to 12 or so.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#27 Post by Flyonthewall » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:57 pm

I felt a lil like that too Pit. Was watching it about once a week as well then got to a "saturation" point.

then I started seeing it on cable, kinda same time I was feeling like crap about my job.. and seems to have re-kindled my need to see it again. I find myself looking forward to it again. Wierd.

In any event, I've got the dvd cued up for tonite as well. Monthly sounds good too so as not to overdo it again. lol.. :D
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

Pitman
Suntory Time

#28 Post by Pitman » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:33 pm

Fly...

Just saw it for the 16th time. For sure, my viewings are now more spaced apart. But, I still get that emotional jolt in the heart when I think about how totally blessed a connection like that would be in real life. To think of the odds against it. Bob is generations apart from Charlotte, and in a totally different mode of life. Yet, the two find a common ground because they both feel a sense of being "lost" in their respective lives. It goes to show that age does not factor into the possibility of connecting to a fellow human soul in a most significant way when there is a need and an opportunity to make that connection.

I have had these connections in life, and alas, I do lament that they are so short-lived.

I sometimes curse that life only ends in parting ways sooner or later.

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#29 Post by burgundy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:02 pm

I find I've moved from a near-compulsion to watch it every day at the beginning, to once every few days to watch it when I'm in the mood. This will probably become more infrequent, and yet the feeling never goes away. At least some things do last forever. :)
With intensity.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#30 Post by preciouswhile » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:17 pm

Couldn't sleep last night, popped in the dvd.

Still one of my favorite ways to spend the early morning hours.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#31 Post by Suntory » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:10 pm

I watched it again (at what is now about my annual viewing) over Christmas vacation. I was rapt and repeated my favorites scenes.
At this point once a year is good.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#32 Post by Pockets » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:58 am

My first viewing was January 20th evening on the Encore Love channel. Watched it with my boyfriend. We both really enjoyed the movie, but liked it in different ways.

There are two upcoming showings on January 30th at 2pm and 9pm.

Will be buying the dvd of it soon though. :)

BrassInPocket
Wide Awake

#33 Post by BrassInPocket » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:53 am

I would *guess* that I have seen the movie about 25 or so times. I try to watch it at least once a month, but when I am cleaning or doing chores at home, I like to have it playing on the tv in the background. Sometimes I will sit and watch it if it's one of my favorite scenes (mainly, the karaoke scene, the bed-discussion scene, or the final scene).

Luigi
Lost In Tokyo

#34 Post by Luigi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:42 pm

I watched LiT again yesterday, after almost two years. Still good, still intense...

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#35 Post by Flyonthewall » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:15 am

Watched it again too. Still a beautiful movie as the search for "Charlotte" continues... :wink:
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

Bob_san
Site Admin

FYI

#36 Post by Bob_san » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:09 pm

The previous few off topic posts were split off into a new topic here:

http://weareawake.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#37 Post by Bren » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:39 pm

BrassInPocket wrote:I would *guess* that I have seen the movie about 25 or so times. I try to watch it at least once a month, but when I am cleaning or doing chores at home, I like to have it playing on the tv in the background. Sometimes I will sit and watch it if it's one of my favorite scenes (mainly, the karaoke scene, the bed-discussion scene, or the final scene).
All great scenes! :D The last scene at the bar is great too!

I've watched the film 5 times since I first saw it last sunday on C4. Clearly, I LOVE this film! :lol:
"Everyone wants to be found."

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#38 Post by Old Member B » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:55 pm

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#39 Post by Bren » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:24 pm

I finally got the DVD yesterday (HMV is not particularly fast at sending things sometimes...). As always, the ending almost brought a tear to mi' eye (and it's EXTREMELY rare that anything ever does that, but this film is so wonderful and emotional...). :)

One thing though - am I alone when it comes to disliking the scenes with the jazz singer (bar/bedroom)? I understand that Bob was most likely waiting for Charlotte at the bar, but the oppurtunity arose, and one thing led to another... But, it just seemed as if it damaged their relationship, and because I think it's just wonderful, I just fast forward that bit...
"Everyone wants to be found."

Pitman
Suntory Time

#40 Post by Pitman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 am

Ahh, but what's a story without a little plot conflict? I think it serves to test their relationship. Without this situation with Sausolito, there wouldn't have been the wonderful scene in the New York bar as they spent their last night together. And I think this also serves to add a little umph to the last scene knowing there had been this conflict. It was interesting to see how Charlotte was jealous about Bob's one-night fling.