What does Bob say at the end of the film?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

The Whisper

#21 Post by Pitman » Wed May 03, 2006 11:44 am

I, for one, would love to know what he said to fill Charlotte with such comfort. I was recently talking to a friend about this and he said his wife made an interesting comment. So, this is coming from the female point of view and I'm passing it on. She said what could have given her such comfort was to hear Bob say the only reason he didn't sleep with her and slept with the lounge singer was because the lounge singer meant nothing to him, and Charlotte meant the world to him. So he could have simply said, "I slept with her because she didn't mean anything to me."

When I heard this, I thought it made complete sense. There was obvious jealousy from Charlotte that morning at Bob's hotel door, and you could cut the tension with a knife at lunch later.

I will add that I would like to think Bob also said "drop me a line when you get back home, ok?" She says ok. With such a life-changing experience and with the intimacy they shared, I can hardly imagine they would not want to stay in touch to honour that friendship. The look of pain on Bob's face in the lobby when Charlotte was walking away is evidence that he did not want to let her go. On the way to the airport, he was offered one last serendipitous chance to not let her go. And he jumped on it to preserve a very rare friendship.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#22 Post by Flyonthewall » Wed May 03, 2006 12:36 pm

Good points.

Im of the mindset that I like not knowing what was said. That just added more poignancy to the moment and just made the parting that much more bittersweet... especially the look back that Charlotte gives Bob as she's walking away and Bob doesnt even see it.

Makes me think that if Bob looked back at the same time and saw that, he may have just said to hell with it and take Charlotte away with him.. who knows...
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#23 Post by 52FM » Wed May 03, 2006 3:40 pm

Welcome Pitman! Yes, it is somewhat "deserted" here at times - but new members seem to get everyone's thoughts going again. Keep posting!
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

Pitman
Suntory Time

#24 Post by Pitman » Wed May 03, 2006 7:57 pm

Thanks guys for the welcoming. Nice to hook up with you here. Nice to see that there are some stragglers around!

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#25 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Thu May 04, 2006 5:01 am

I am almost positive that his last line in that whisper is "Tell him the truth, ok?" from what I can tell it is the only audible thing you can hear.
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

Pitman
Suntory Time

#26 Post by Pitman » Thu May 04, 2006 7:52 am

There are two separate issues at hand here. What did Bill Murray actually say to Scarlett Johansson, and what Bob would have said to Charlotte. I understand the scene was shot several times with some ad libs, and what was physically, actually whispered is not to my mind as important as what the character in the movie would have said, if in fact these two things are different. If there were several takes, it's possible Bill mumbled different things during those takes. The final take was based on Scarlett's performance so I hear, because it's Charlotte's character which stands to gain the most from this final interaction. Bob got out of the car and approached Charlotte not for his own selfish reasons, but to give a message to her.

One suggestion which I thought was possible and liked was "Write about this and tell the truth, ok?" Or something along those lines. "Tell him the truth." Yes, very plausible. Bob obviously knows there are problems in her marriage, so I would definitely support this possibility.

I also agree, that we will never know, and we are not supposed to definitively know, because this was the device of the director/writer to make it so and leave us with that wanting more feeling.

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#27 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Thu May 04, 2006 4:58 pm

I fully agree :) I was only putting my two cents in and stating what I had heard.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#28 Post by Pitman » Fri May 05, 2006 9:14 am

ForRelaxingTimes, that is very interesting. I have listened and listened to it, and can only hear the OKs at the end. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to put it through a sound processor to enhance the voice and see if more can be gleaned.

Your 2 cents is worth 2 million cents here, as far as I'm concerned!!

:-)

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#29 Post by 52FM » Fri May 05, 2006 9:23 am

Actually, I recall a post either here or on IMDb where someone did put it through a sound filtering device and found out what Bill actually said during the take they ended up using. But as has been said - it was the reaction of Scarlett that Sophia used to decide which take to go with - not what Bill happened to say. In an interview, Scarlett said that Bill said a lot of things - some silly, some serious, and by the end she was an emotional wreck.

I don't recall the exact words - and maybe the person who supposedly did this really didnt' and filled in their own preference anyway - but it was something to the effect - Promise me you won't give up. The next time he makes you feel that way, cry if you have to and tell him the truth. OK?
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#30 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Fri May 05, 2006 4:17 pm

hah I appreciate it, hmm I wonder if that can be done though it really doesn't matter to me I am one of those who likes to keep wondering.. :)

Pitman
Suntory Time

#31 Post by Pitman » Fri May 05, 2006 6:53 pm

ForRelaxingTimes, I'm with you. It's what makes puts the movie into that "Great" status!!!

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#32 Post by Old Member B » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:48 pm

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#33 Post by Pitman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:04 pm

Ben-B...

Yeah, i heard some guy put the scene through audio filters and enhancers to bring up the voice..and what the result was. But, what he actually said and what Bill's character would have said relating to the experience with Charlotte in Tokyo are completely different. I don't think what Bill Murray actually said to Scarlett Johansson really matters. The physical words which may have been deciphered on tape at the end was not what was important. It's really up to the audience to fill in the blank for that character to imagine what it was that filled Charlotte with such confidence and resolve.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Bob's wisper to be revealed

#34 Post by jm » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:00 am

"[quote:ea8327444e="Ben-B"]I have discovered what Bob's last words were!
I'm not sure it will spoil some peoples experience but it really is quite sweet-it only adds to the moment.
If you guys relly want to know hwat they siad let me know..I have the answer! :wink:[/quote:ea8327444e]We've heard that bovine product before, several times."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#35 Post by Old Member B » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:24 am

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#36 Post by Pitman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:06 pm

Well Ben-B, you better spill the beans then!

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#37 Post by Old Member B » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:12 pm

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pitman
Suntory Time

Re: Bob's wisper: "If I was able.......

#38 Post by Pitman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:57 am

Interesting. The last words relating to the lounge singer has already been put forward by myself on the previous page, so this is not new. And I agree with you that when Charlotte found out about it she was jealous and hurt. So, I always thought Bob had to broach the subject in the end.
Ben-B wrote:At lunch that afternoon at the shabuya he probably told her how it all went down. "Well I gues I had too much to drink and I did'nt know what the heck I was doin. I did'nt realize what had happened until ...")
I disagree with you about this being mentioned at that awful lunch. If that was the case, then the subject had already been addressed and there would be no need to bring it up again in the end. The scene was set to show that not much was spoken during the awkward lunch and they returned to their respective hotel rooms at odds with each other.
Ben-B wrote: "If I was able to make a descision...I'd prefer Black Toe to her"
Actually that's pretty funny! I don't believe that is what was actually said because that last moment was a serious moment and even Bob knew that he would need to put joking aside to get the message through. But I do like your sense of humour Ben-B.

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#39 Post by Old Member B » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:31 pm

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

Re: Bob's wisper: "If I was able.......

#40 Post by Just Like Honey... » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:27 pm

Ben-B wrote:I'm like feeling so smart-a** right now.
Agreed.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.