The New York Bar location.

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

The New York Bar location.

#1 Post by Pitman » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:50 am

OK, this really bugs me. Why did Sophia persist to state that the New York Bar is located in the lobby in the film? We all know that it's on the top floor of the Hyatt. And, even if it was meant to be fictional and not specifically relate to the Hyatt in the movie, it's obvious to anyone not knowing this that the bar is high up because of all the window shots.

So, does anyone have a plausible explanation?

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#2 Post by mothling » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:34 pm

The lobby of the hotel isn't on the ground floor, it is right up near the top for some strange reason. So it very well might be on the same floor as the NYBar.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#3 Post by Old Member B » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:47 am

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pitman » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:02 pm

I don't understand why the Hyatt would have the lobby on the top floor! That means when people check in they have to take the elevator to the top floor to do that? Does that make sense?

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#5 Post by Old Member B » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:23 am

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#6 Post by Old Member B » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:24 am

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by samwright8380 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:59 pm

from what i remember of it, theres a sort of foyer area on the ground floor, (where bob gets in and out of the car at the start and end) which leads to the lift. The lift takes you to the lobby area which is on the 40ish floor (where you see the anna faris singing). the new york bar is on the top floor. Its a strange arrangement, but done that way as a lot of the shinjuku tower is dedicated to office space etc.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#8 Post by Pitman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:18 pm

Hmmm, still doesn't make sense to me. A lobby is always near the entrance of a building.

Also, in the movie, they refer to goin "down" to the bar for drinks. I think John says this to Charlotte in the hotel room. So, why is the location of the Bar down?

Also, when Bob and Charlotte come back from the strip club and are heading to their rooms, why would they have to go through the bar if it's on the top floor? I think it's meant to be on the ground floor in the movie.

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#9 Post by Old Member B » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:22 am

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#10 Post by mothling » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:10 am

Pitman wrote:Hmmm, still doesn't make sense to me. A lobby is always near the entrance of a building.
I don't understand why you can't get your head around it, hehe. Seems pretty logical enough. The Hotel doesn't span the whole tower, the hotel is pretty much at the top, with offices below, therefore the Lobby is up top, were the Hotel is. Makes sense to me.
Also, in the movie, they refer to goin "down" to the bar for drinks. I think John says this to Charlotte in the hotel room. So, why is the location of the Bar down?
Probably just a simple case of him speaking without really thinking. Also, at least in England, a lot of people say "im going down to the store" or "i'm going up to the park" a lot, without it specifically meaning whether its literally up or down.
Also, when Bob and Charlotte come back from the strip club and are heading to their rooms, why would they have to go through the bar if it's on the top floor? I think it's meant to be on the ground floor in the movie.
I highly doubt the Bar is supposed to be on the ground floor in the movie. For starters, you can see out of the Bar windows that its really high up.
I'm assuming you mean when they come through the bar and see Anna Faris singing. I think this pretty much happened just for sake of story plot, they went through the bar because the script dictated that they were to see Anna singing.
Or, maybe something happened that we just didn't see. Remember much of the movie is upto interpretation. Maybe we're just supposed to assume they had another reason for being there, or maybe they got off at the wrong floor, etc.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.