Subtle observations.

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

Subtle observations.

#1 Post by Pitman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:33 am

I am viewing LiT for the 12th time. I must say I have never seen a movie this many times. Ghost World comes close at 9.

Anyway, I noticed that during the New York Bar scene where John and Charlotte meet Kelly for drinks, and Kelly starts talking about her dad, Johh is constantly playing with his wedding ring. I think this has symbolic significance. He's really into Kelly, and his subconscious is saying....I wish I could take this ring off and bang kelly!

Never noticed that before....

If anyone has any other subtle observations, please jump in.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Pitman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:06 am

When I first saw this movie I always liked the Karaoke scene the best. It seemed the movie focused on this sequence for me. I always looked forward to the night out in Tokyo which led to the Karaoke scene, which led to that glorious taxi ride home over the Rainbow Bridge with Kevin Shields singing. Why did this Karaoke scene hold so much importance to me? And I finally realized it was the metaphor for Bob and Charlotte having sex on a platonic level...if that can be conceived and realized. Their intercourse was of a spiritual and intellectual nature, and it was first conceived during Bob's performance of More Than This. Right after that song, the scene cuts to Charlotte outside the Karaoke room smoking a cigarette and Bob joins her and takes a drag. This is the classic symbolism of the after-sex action. So, they did consumate their relationship, yet the consumation was on a higher plane than the physical one.

What a sublime piece of work!

kite
LIT Super Fan

#3 Post by kite » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:31 am

god, just by reading this im already getting all nostalgic. I can't wait to get home and watch it again :(

Congruous
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Congruous » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:35 pm

I guess my favorite subtlety in this movie is the scene in which Charlotte cuts the label out of Bob's camouflage t-shirt. The interaction between them when Bob looks at the "Soul Search" CD and comments on it is fantastic. Bob senses Charlotte's discomfort and turns his comment into a self-deprecating joke. It's like at that moment they understand each other, and then that Chemical Brothers tune starts up.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#5 Post by Flyonthewall » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:18 am

My favorite subtlety is the scene where Charlotte gives Bob his jacket back as he is leaving. The silent looks between them are priceless. Bob wants to tell her so much and it looks like she wanted tell him just as much back. The pained expression that Bob had while taking pictures with the Japanese sponsors seeing him off.. He knew he should've said or done something to let Charlotte know how he felt.

That just made the "Hey you" scene that much sweeter... :wink:
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

silentguest
Evelyn Waugh

#6 Post by silentguest » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:06 pm

Charlotte also fiddles with her wedding ring while lying next to Bob. But in this case I think it's to remind herself that she's married. In the next sequence on the train she rests her arm on the window sill, her ring very close to the camera. Maybe communicating that she's still committed to her marriage and nothing improper happened between her and Bob.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by I65 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:46 pm

Mine is the pat on the foot. It's so representative of the nonsexual intimacy that they share.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bob_san » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:52 am

Pitman wrote:Their intercourse was of a spiritual and intellectual nature, and it was first conceived during Bob's performance of More Than This. Right after that song, the scene cuts to Charlotte outside the Karaoke room smoking a cigarette and Bob joins her and takes a drag. This is the classic symbolism of the after-sex action. So, they did consumate their relationship, yet the consumation was on a higher plane than the physical one.
And to think Johnmonkey said it had already all been discussed!
BAH! This is quite a revelation.

Ok NOW maybe it's all been discussed! :shock: :D

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by jm » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:47 pm

"Sometimes a cigarette is just a cigarette."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

silentguest
Evelyn Waugh

#10 Post by silentguest » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:01 pm

Another subtle touch. The first night they go out Charlotte dresses up, Bob wears the T-shirt. The next night he puts on a dress shirt but she goes casual. Both trying to dress appropriately for each other but not getting it quite right. Their sartorial mismatch could be Sofia's sly comment on the overall mismatch between them.

Mercenary Sora
Awake

#11 Post by Mercenary Sora » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:05 am

In the scene in which John is putting together his camera on the phone talking about the Japanese band that Charolette takes an unneccesary detour, walking in front of John. She goes to get ascarf and sit on the bed. That was unneccesary for her to do that, people would just reach across her bed to get it. I think it showed another sign of lonliness and desperation for it, so desperate she would make a sexual jesture to get John to pay attention. Becasuse she has those pink panties on and walks right in front of Johns face. That's what I think.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#12 Post by I65 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:05 pm

Mercenary Sora wrote:In the scene in which John is putting together his camera on the phone talking about the Japanese band that Charolette takes an unneccesary detour, walking in front of John. She goes to get ascarf and sit on the bed. That was unneccesary for her to do that, people would just reach across her bed to get it. I think it showed another sign of lonliness and desperation for it, so desperate she would make a sexual jesture to get John to pay attention. Becasuse she has those pink panties on and walks right in front of Johns face. That's what I think.
Waving your pink pantie clad a** in someone's face, isn't exactly subtle. :wink:

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by jm » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:23 pm

"[quote:c6cc077cdc="Ithildriel65"]Waving your pink pantie clad a** in someone's face, isn't exactly subtle. :wink:[/quote:c6cc077cdc]
I wanted to post something here, but I think I don't really and was just excited by the thoughts of that p.p.c.a. of Charlotte."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#14 Post by Bob_san » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:17 pm

johnmonkey wrote:"Sometimes a cigarette is just a cigarette."
The Spock icon is back! Woohoo! :shock:
The Lost in Translation Fan Site
http://www.weareawake.org

Pitman
Suntory Time

Detour

#15 Post by Pitman » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:45 am

Mercenary Sora wrote:In the scene in which John is putting together his camera on the phone talking about the Japanese band that Charolette takes an unneccesary detour, walking in front of John. She goes to get ascarf and sit on the bed. That was unneccesary for her to do that, people would just reach across her bed to get it. I think it showed another sign of lonliness and desperation for it, so desperate she would make a sexual jesture to get John to pay attention. Becasuse she has those pink panties on and walks right in front of Johns face. That's what I think.
It's not an unnecessary detour. She had to go that way to put the ashtray down on the table. :-P

Congruous
Suntory Time

#16 Post by Congruous » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Subtle or not, if Scarlett/Charlotte walked right in front of my face wearing sheer pink panties, she wouldn't have taken another step without me being wrapped all over her.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

Pitman
Suntory Time

#17 Post by Pitman » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:53 pm

heh heh...

I know what you mean!! :D

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#18 Post by Flyonthewall » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:59 am

Congruous wrote:Subtle or not, if Scarlett/Charlotte walked right in front of my face wearing sheer pink panties, she wouldn't have taken another step without me being wrapped all over her.
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't have left that hotel room and would have prolly been fired as the photographer for that group..lol :roll: :wink:
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#19 Post by jm » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:21 am

We have achieved a new meaning for the word "subtle".
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#20 Post by I65 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:22 pm

Congruous wrote:Subtle or not, if Scarlett/Charlotte walked right in front of my face wearing sheer pink panties, she wouldn't have taken another step without me being wrapped all over her.
Well, I tried this at home, and what I got was "you're blocking the t.v." :roll: