Scenes in LIT you skip or FF through

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

Scenes in LIT you skip or FF through

#1 Post by burgundy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:05 pm

Although I'm completely captivated by this movie, I have to confess that I don't watch the virtual golf scene at all any more. I started FFing it after the 3rd viewing. I guess this may have had a point in overall film if you see it once, but it lacks something afterwards.
With intensity.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Congruous » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:59 pm

For whatever reason, I tend to skip the scenes when Bob is talking to Lydia. I confess that Lydia irritates the heck out of me. I also skip the scenes between the end of Charlotte's Kyoto visit and before Bob shacks up with the singer. To me, those scenes are the weakest part of the movie.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by I65 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:18 pm

I've watched the movie many times, and don't think I have ever fast forwarded through any of the scenes.

I have fast forwarded through the extra's thought, to get to Bill's dance scene to the song Allison. Love that. 8) I've watched that clip more than the movie I think :P

Pitman
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pitman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:06 pm

Congruous..i've skpped through these scenes too...i don't really like her voice. The scene in the whirlpool especially...although it's an important scene in that the audience really gets to see Bob's frustration with his wife and situation..."No, it's always a good time," then looks at his cellphone in disbelief. Also the sauna...short scene, but doesn't really add anything to the movie except to punctuate the whole sense of being lost in translation.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#5 Post by Suntory » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:25 am

I was about to say I dont skip any part of it but then I remembered the pool scene
where Bob is swimming past the women doing water
aerobics. That's the only part I skip. To me each scene (some more than
others) holds a special significance.

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#6 Post by burgundy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:15 am

Yeah I skip over that one too. It's not that funny really. That and the golf scene are trying to set the mood. Because the movie is low key, upon repeated viewings, these scenes aren't as important because you already know the mood.

Also when Charlotte goes on her hotel wanderings and stumbles onto "Evelyn Waugh"'s press conference. She's such a horrible character, I take great joy hitting the FF button.
With intensity.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#7 Post by Flyonthewall » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:51 pm

scenes I skip:

- "lip my stocking"... its funny and the value is not lost to me, in fact I like the scene of Bob eating alone after that scene. Just not as funny after the few times I watched the movie.

- Pool Aerobics... self explanatory.. :D :roll:

- Kelly's press conference...

- scenes where Bob is talking to Lydia... brings back a lot of memories 'bout my prior marriage... even down to telling my ex to tell my son to eat while talking to her on the phone... *sigh*

- Bob on the elliptical... again not as funny after the first few times.

- Bob and the lounge singer... although I watch the tension between Charlotte and Bob after he answers the door.

I guess I just revel in all the scenes where Bob and Charlotte are together and watching that connection grow and deepen never gets tiring.
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#8 Post by burgundy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:09 pm

Agree that the scenes they are together are magical.

I agree with all your points except maybe the lip my stocking. Bob's wincing facial expression when she goes into contortions on the floor is hilarious to me still.

I'm still hoping for a sequel. Better yet -- a television series. Now that's sacrilegious!
With intensity.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#9 Post by findingcharlotte » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:52 pm

pool scene..yes

sometimes the commercial shoot ...
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

Pitman
Suntory Time

#10 Post by Pitman » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:42 pm

The commercial shoot?!?! That is sacrilege!!

:-)

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#11 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:56 pm

The only scene i tend to fast forward is the lip my stocking one.

LatPack
Lost In Jet Lag

#12 Post by LatPack » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:21 pm

I don't think I skip through any scenes!

Maybe ones I pay less attention to if I'm doing something else are the press conference and karaoke scene