Questions you would ask sofia

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

Questions you would ask sofia

#1 Post by samwright8380 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:17 am

ok, so i'll admit that i've been one of those people who logs in and reads these forums a lot, yet posts only a little. i've often found a lot of the posts very insightful. it's been a while since anyone's posted, so i thought i'd suggest this; how about a collective questionaire that we could put forward to sofia about LIT? i'm guessing a lot of the time she doesn't respond, but over the last couple of years the forum has shown a lot of well considered interest and questions from fans. So,given the choice, if you were to ask her one question about the movie, what would it be?

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by I65 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:52 am

Good question, I will think about it and get back to you...I want to make it count. :)

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:56 am

I'd want to know: Who was your "Bob" in real life? But I'm sure she'd never answer that.

Not a question - but I'd want her to know that her movie changed my life (for the better, I think.)

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by lemoncupcake » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:07 pm

I'd like to ask her if she knows how many people have been truly touched by this film, and some changed for the better.
I'd also like to ask if she left the option of subtitling the japanese in the film out for creative reasons : so those of us who don't speak japanese would feel as lost as the characters, or if that was a studio decision.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Congruous » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:05 pm

I'd ask her to explain the sequence of events that happened between Charlotte's trip to Kyoto and Bob's hooking up with the singer. I've never had a clear understanding of what was supposed to be happening.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

Pitman
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Pitman » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:09 am

Great thread. Happy New Year guys!!

I suppose I would ask her if she would ever consider making a sequel. I know most of us fans believe a sequel would take away from the original. However, I guess I would have to challenge her to make one that would in some way increase the original's importance. I'd like the sequel to contain flashbacks to Tokyo and Kyoto of scenes and moments we weren't privy to in the original thus further fleshing out the complexity of Bob and Charlotte's connection.

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#7 Post by burgundy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:48 pm

Amen to the sequel idea. I'm secretly hoping Sofia has a string of less-than-stellar movies that forces her to consider this once-impossible possibility.

Happy New Year.
With intensity.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#8 Post by samwright8380 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:45 pm

perhaps before sunrise/ before sunset could be used as an example of a movie of this type that has yielded an interesting sequel....

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#9 Post by preciouswhile » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:18 pm

Before Sunrise had much more of a cliffhanger ending than LIT. They explicitly made the promise to return, so you're forced to wonder, "Did they or didn't they meet again?" But you're right, after seeing it I was a little uneasy about watching Sunset. Luckily they did that one well, and shows that a good sequel to such a movie can be done.

The ending of LIT seemed very final to me though. There wasn't any explicit plan to meet again. Obviously we don't know what Bob whispered, but I wasn't left with the same feelings as Sunrise.
I'm secretly hoping Sofia has a string of less-than-stellar movies that forces her to consider this once-impossible possibility.
I can't see how this would be a good thing...going back to her best movie 'franchise' just because she's made a string of bad movies. If she was going to do a sequel it should only be for the right reasons (a very optimistic and perhaps naive view of Hollywood I know :roll:)

And if there was to be a sequel, I'd much much rather it be a 'sequel in spirit'. That is to say, a movie made with a similar feel and outline, but with completely different characters and actors. I don't know, maybe with another couple (or even group) meeting at Park Hyatt Tokyo, or even in another country altogether.

Not that I'm saying Coppola couldn't make a great sequel with Bob (Murray) and Charlotte (Johansson) - it's certainly possible - but honestly the characters are just too precious to me to want her to take that risk.

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#10 Post by tsooml » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:55 am

I'd like a sequel which shows their future lives -- or maybe her future and his past, to show life parallels -- but in which they don't meet again.