LIT Trivia Questions

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

LIT Trivia Questions

#1 Post by KKDallas » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:36 pm

I am bored at work today so I've combined my two favorite passtimes: LiT and trivia. Here are some questions....see if you know the answers...post your responses here if you want to play....I'll post the answers in a day or so.

1. What does Bob end up doing with the small box he is given by his translator/PR team upon his arrival?

2. What is Kelly's pseudonym?

3. Name Bob's action movie where he did his own stunts.

4. Name Bob's children.

5. Who does Charlotte speak with on the telephone after a lonely trip to a temple?

6. How long will it take for Bob's carpet to arrive, according to Lydia?

7. Where did Charlotte go to college and what was her major?

8. What does Charlotte order at the bar when she first talks to Bob?

9. Who sent the Premium Fantasy lady?

10. How much is Bob being paid by Suntory?

11. What is the first name of Bob's agent?

BONUS: What is happening on Sunday when Bob returns home? i.e. what is Lydia afraid that Bob has forgotten?

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#2 Post by lost in translation » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:52 pm

They are all familiar, but I only know some off the top of my head.

1. Throws in in the trash
2. Evelyn Waugh
3. Damnit, I can't remember
4. Alex I think, and something else
5. Her sister
6. Three days
7. Yale, Philosophy
8. Vodka Tonic
9. Mr. Japanese man
10. 2 million dollars
11. Alex maybe? I know it's a man
Bonus: His daughter's recital, birthday present for his son

Maybe I need to watch it again this weekend. :)

silver

"LiT" trivia

#3 Post by silver » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:24 pm

1 - drank it
2 - Evelyn Waugh
3- Sunset Odds
4 - Adam and Zoe
5 - Lauren
6 - 6 weeks
7 - Yale - majored in philosophy
8 - Vodka tonic
9 - Mr. Kawasaki
10-2 million dollars
11 -Fred

Bonus answer: On Sunday his daughter Zoe is having a ballet recital

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#4 Post by Suntory » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:19 am

9. Who sent the Premium Fantasy lady?
MR. KAZOO!!!!!!! :shock: :D

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#5 Post by hull_street » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:20 am

KKDallas wrote:1. What does Bob end up doing with the small box he is given by his translator/PR team upon his arrival?
Damn, Kathy, I thought I was going to breeze through this quiz, and instead, get stumped on the first question !

I've got one for you: During the bar scenes on Bob and Charlotte's first night out, at one point Bob appears to be holding a handful of rocks, and counts them. What were these, in reality? It's kind of a trick question, since I don't really know the answer. This just seemed like a good place to ask...

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#6 Post by lost in translation » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:24 am

hull_street wrote:
KKDallas wrote:1. What does Bob end up doing with the small box he is given by his translator/PR team upon his arrival?
Damn, Kathy, I thought I was going to breeze through this quiz, and instead, get stumped on the first question !

I've got one for you: During the bar scenes on Bob and Charlotte's first night out, at one point Bob appears to be holding a handful of rocks, and counts them. What were these, in reality? It's kind of a trick question, since I don't really know the answer. This just seemed like a good place to ask...
I have wondered about those rocks too. What the hell are they?

silver

"LiT" trivia

#7 Post by silver » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:08 pm

Thanks Suntory - it was Mr. Kazoo. Darn...I knew it started with a "K" - Well, I think I got the rest right. I did this off the top of my head - guess I should have looked at the tape/DVD again before answering.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#8 Post by hull_street » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:17 pm

1. Is that the box he later gives to "Johnny Carson of Japan" ?
2. Evelyn Waugh ("shh!")
3. Sunset Odds ("loved it")
4. Adam and Zoe
5. Lauren ("Now, what were you saying?")
6. At least 12 weeks. That Burgundy is one popular color.
7. She's a Yalie, with a major in Philosophy
8. A Vodka Tonic (watch Bob react, as he fails to sell a Suntory to even Charlotte)
9. Mr. Kazu sends Premium Fantasy
10. 2 Million dollars. 2 damn million dollars.
11. Now hear this: Fred.

BONUS: Zoe's ballet recital ("don't forget!")("I didn't forget!")

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#9 Post by KKDallas » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:14 am

Congratulations, Matt!! You nailed them. Although, upon further review, I might have included a stumper in there. #1 may not be correct. I had originally thought that the box he received from the Suntory PR group ws the same gift he gave Matthew. I watched the movie again this weekend and it sort of looks like a slightly smaller box.

I hope other people post some trivia questions from the movie. I like to re-watch it and see what I may have missed.

BTW, as for the rocks, I thought those were coins he was using to pay the bartender. He was letting the bartender pick out the prper amount. Is that not correct?

Kathy

Silver

"LiT" trivia NOT related to the above questions

#10 Post by Silver » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:35 am

"Zoe" the daughter's name, may have been taken from Sofia Coppola's good friend Zoe Cassavetes, the daughter of the late John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands.

Who the Adam would be I have no idea.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#11 Post by hull_street » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:17 pm

KKDallas wrote:BTW, as for the rocks, I thought those were coins he was using to pay the bartender. He was letting the bartender pick out the proper amount. Is that not correct?
That probably is right, they just didn't look like coins to me. I was thinking it was something more exotic, like hash, maybe.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#12 Post by Suntory » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:04 pm

KKDallas wrote:BTW, as for the rocks, I thought those were coins he was using to pay the bartender. He was letting the bartender pick out the prper amount. Is that not correct?
Kathy
Little rocks are actually used as legal tender in Japan. Little known fact!! :shock: :twisted:

NOT!

I saw some little rocks too but Ill have to back and see where exactly.

Does anyone know what the little box was for? It seems that if he gave one to Matthew that
there is some tradition of presenting a little box as a gift to people.
Maybe the box is for business cards. Because as you saw they hand out a lot of business
cards over there!

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#13 Post by hull_street » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:32 am

KKDallas wrote:I had originally thought that the box he received from the Suntory PR group ws the same gift he gave Matthew. I watched the movie again this weekend and it sort of looks like a slightly smaller box.
Yeah, I think the box he gives Matthew is nothing more than a prop handed to him just before he goes onstage.

My trivia questions are in the works...

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#14 Post by hull_street » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:10 am

Hello, everyone. Here are my trivia questions for you:

1. Who is the fictional author quoted on the equally-fictional "A Soul's Search" self-help CD ?

2. What does Bob try to think, when he's prompted to look "more mysterious" ?

3. What is Charlie Brown doing at the strip club, according to Bob ?

4. At one point in Charlotte's travels, she ties a paper around a tree branch. What is presumably written on the paper ?

5. What song is Bob playing on Charlotte's door the first night he meets her at her room ?

6. When do Bob and Charlotte first hold hands ?

7. Who does Lydia say she is having lots of "quality time" with ?

8. When Charlotte first spots Bob at the bar, he humorously flirts with her from a distance. In response, what does she have sent to his table ?

9. What are the first words that John says to Charlotte in the film ?

10. Bob has a message sent to Charlotte's room in the middle of the night. What does it ask ?

Bonus Question: Who is standing directly across the table from Charlotte in the Ikebana scene ?

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#15 Post by jeffyen » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:57 am

2) Where's my whisky?
3) Dance class
6) At the pachinko?

Tough questions :D

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#16 Post by KKDallas » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:15 am

hull_street wrote:Hello, everyone. Here are my trivia questions for you:

1. Who is the fictional author quoted on the equally-fictional "A Soul's Search" self-help CD ?

4. At one point in Charlotte's travels, she ties a paper around a tree branch. What is presumably written on the paper ?

5. What song is Bob playing on Charlotte's door the first night he meets her at her room ?

8. When Charlotte first spots Bob at the bar, he humorously flirts with her from a distance. In response, what does she have sent to his table ?

10. Bob has a message sent to Charlotte's room in the middle of the night. What does it ask ?

Bonus Question: Who is standing directly across the table from Charlotte in the Ikebana scene ?
Good questions!!! I don't all the answers but here's my stab at 'em:

1. Don't know.

2. Where the hell's the whiskey?

3. Getting a dance lesson, according to Bob. He is really getting a private dance. Is this a lap dance? I've never been to a strip club.

4. Her wish? Specifically, "I wish someone would think I'm special"?

5. I couldn't tell what he was knocking out. It sounded like some sort of rhythm but I can't decipher it.

6. When they are walking back up to the hotel after she has her toew xrayed at the hospital. (I've played this scene back many times because I wasn't sure what I saw....lol)

7. The carpenters/contractors working on the new addition.

8. She sends over a small cup or bowl of something. He appears to drink it so I think it is sake. But the cup doesn't look like a sake cup, which are small and usually white. Maybe it was a small bowl of peanuts or bar snacks?

9. He snores and says "Go to sleep"....I am not sure actually.

10. Are you awake?

Bonus: A Japanese lady with short hair. She is arranging a red flower.

These were tough!!!! I am glad you posted them!

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#17 Post by lost in translation » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:56 pm

hull_street wrote:Hello, everyone. Here are my trivia questions for you:
2) Where the hell's the whisky?
3) taking dance lessons
6) running in streets after the night out, i think
7) construction crew
8) a drink
9) are you awake
bonus: bob?

just my guesses. i know most are wrong.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#18 Post by hull_street » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:34 pm

Answers to the Questions:

Michael Rohatin, PH D. For those without freeze frame, the quote itself is:
"The simplest and most powerful technique for finding your true calling is knowing the right questions to ask."

"Where the hell's the Whiskey ?"

Taking a dance class.

A wish.

This would be the mellow, soothing sound of the drum lead-in to the song, "WIPEOUT!" Did Bob know in advance that he'd meet Japanese surfers ? Hmm...

I'll accept two answers here. While they first make hand-contact while fleeing the bar from the guy with the BB gun, the first time Bob and Charlotte actually "hold hands" as an act in itself is on their way home from the hospital. Everybody wins !

The construction crew, according to her 4:20 AM fax.

A bowl of nuts.

"Go to sleep."

"Are You Awake ?"

This one is a toughie, and you actually need to watch the interviews to find it. While we only see this woman from the back, the woman with long, dark hair standing across from Charlotte is none other than Sofia Coppola. It is her "Alfred Hitchcock moment" in the film.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#19 Post by KKDallas » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:25 pm

I have come to conclusion that it is not Sofia with her back to the camera in the ikebana scene. I had to watch and re-watch the scene as well as "Lost" on Location in order to ascertain this person.

On the "Lost" on Location short film, this ikebana scene is being set up. Sofia is telling the asst. director how she wants the Japanese women to act. The one who resembles Sophia from the back is wearing a black top with a small white plaid pattern in it. You can see this extra from the front after Sofia gives her direction and then she looks in the camera like she is very tired. You can see the extra in the black/white top with the long shoulder legnth hair from the front in the background.

Your trivia questions were better than mine! I love it when I am stumped and I have to go back and watch certain scenes over and over again like this bonus question did! LOL

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#20 Post by hull_street » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:41 am

I have come to conclusion that it is not Sofia with her back to the camera in the ikebana scene. I had to watch and re-watch the scene as well as "Lost" on Location in order to ascertain this person.
I stand corrected. I just watched it again, and I believe you are right. I wonder why I thought that was Sofia, her hair is much shorter than the girl in the film. <*sigh*> Well, it would have been nice for her to have a cameo in there.

It looked like Sofia was having a rough time getting the other extra to understand what she was supposed to do, yet she still manages a smile through it all.