Ghost World

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

Arluss
Traveler

Ghost World

#1 Post by Arluss » Sun May 09, 2004 10:52 pm

Has anybody else seen this film? I thought Scarlett was great in it along with Thora Birch.

The movie is about a time during friendship where we grow older and more apart from each other along with the teenage problem of trying to find your identity after high school.

Eveyone else I shown it to thinks its stupid but, I really like the film for the same reasons I like Lost in Translation.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#2 Post by Suntory » Mon May 10, 2004 10:37 am

Yes I rented it. And I did like it a lot!

sheyit
Lost In Jet Lag

#3 Post by sheyit » Wed May 19, 2004 11:56 am

Its a good movie - not AS good as LIT I think, but good nonetheless. It was weird - I could relate to what Ms. Johansson's character was going through (like LIT) like the aforementioned growing apart from friends, and the quick process of suddenly having to grow up after highschool; but I just couldn't get that same feeling with Thora Birch's. Probably cause her character spent a lot of her time with the very weird Steve Buscemi character. Don't get me wrong, I think Steve Buscemi is a very funny actor - the relationship just seemed a little off.

BTW has Steve Buscemi ever played a dead serious role? I think he'd do quite well in such a position. Or is he eternally hollywood-cast as "the weird one" in his movies? (eg. Armageddon, Conair) It also happens with Sean Bean - who I think is a fantastic actor, but is ALWAYS (except for his role in Troy) the guy who gets kicked out of the group, turns against the group, and usually dies or disappeears long before the film's end (eg. Ronin, Goldeneye, LOTR)

This is a little weird to be bringing this up in this post, sorry about that.

pearly
Traveler

#4 Post by pearly » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:26 am

this was the first film I saw Scarlett in. really liked her performance and wondered why she wasn't a bigger star... of course that was years ago - now she IS a big star

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#5 Post by hull_street » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:19 am

Sheyit,

If you want to see Steve Buscemi's greatest role, check him out in "Reservoir Dogs". It's not a deadly-serious part, but it shows him in fine form. Just thought I should warn you, the film is a little intense. You might feel the urge to close your eyes during the torture part with Michael Madsen. It's a little off-topic, but since Sofia has been spotted with Quentin Tarantino, it's not completely off.

jml98
Asleep

#6 Post by jml98 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:33 pm

I've seen it too, and sheyit is right: it's not as good as LiT (although it's not bad) It's a strange little movie...

sooner77
Stocking Lipper

#7 Post by sooner77 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:59 pm

"Ghost World" has an extremely funny screenplay and also left me with an unsettled feeling after I'd seen it. I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine Rebecca as a younger Charlotte.

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#8 Post by Blissbomb » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:39 am

yeah, Ghostworld was the first time I had ever noticed Scarlett. This movie was unerving for me as I really related to the Thora Birch character. Scarletts voice sounds a lot deeper in this movie? wonder if it was intentional?
Lost in World

blades7896
Alone in Kyoto

#9 Post by blades7896 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:33 pm

Ghost World is phenomenal, my second favourite film ever (after LiT). It's just so refreshing that a teenage film can show how the world really is, its total crap, your at a stage in your life where the only thing you have ever known, your childhood, is suddenly ripped from out of you and you end up working for some shitty company very quickly and suddenly you realise that all your idealistic little dreams that every kid has are just that, dreams, and that you probably wont do anything of note in your life at all.
Enid is so close to how I am its untrue, jadded by the whole shitty world around her, wise but at the same time imature and prone to fucking things up, but also realising that her childhood cant go on forever, and she cant escape the inevitable while she is still in 'Ghost World' the shitty provincial town/world where she lives.
The ending of the film is also fantastic, the ambiguous nature of it (I have the graphic novel and it isnt anywhere near as open to interpretation as in the film) leaves us, rather like the whisper at the end of LiT to draw our own conclusions.

If you like Ghost World I strongly recommend getting the Graphic Novel, its very different to the film (The character of Seymour isnt in it even) and Rebecca is a far bigger character in it, my only gripe with the film is that Scarlett was woefully underused.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#10 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:02 pm

Oh, YES!
This movie is very good. Recommend it.
It is very realistic and so funny. A must-see.
I have it in DVD. All the actors do a great job and the script is just so interesting. Wasn't this the same director of Bad Santa?
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#11 Post by mothling » Tue May 09, 2006 2:34 pm

I've loved this film for years. Like many here, it was the first movie I ever spotted Scarlett in. And now's she's gone on to make such amazing bigger movies and become a big star in her own right, good on her.

As for the movie, it was very very well done. As blades said before me, it very muchs play out exactly how I felt at least after high school, where I was dropped right into the real world and it wasn't how I imagined it would be at all.

An amazing movie, I would recommend everybody try it out at least once, though it doesn't compare to LiT, in my opinion.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#12 Post by Pitman » Wed May 24, 2006 3:51 pm

blades7896 wrote:Ghost World is phenomenal, my second favourite film ever (after LiT).
Hey, me too! LiT took over from Ghost World as my favourite.

I bought the graphic novel after seeing the movie. I also got the screenplay. Interesting that the Seymour character was a cross between Terry Zwigoff (the director) and the fortune teller in the novel. All those 78's belong to Terry. In fact most of the trappings in Seymour's room belong to the director. The ending of this movie really had an impact on me. It's the type of ending where you have to fill in the blank and imagine what happens to Enid next. Brilliant.

Thora Birch is awesome and I'm actually very surprised that Scarlett soared to such acclaim before Thora did. But, I dare say Thora will be back with vengence. Although she just completed Dark Corners, a horror movie filmed in England. Not sure how that will take, but it does look very good. I love horror movies and she plays a double character in the film. Whoo hoo!

I love that Indian music video in the special features! It rocks the house!!!

blades7896
Alone in Kyoto

#13 Post by blades7896 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:00 pm

What special features are there apart from that? In England the only Special features on the DVD are a short interview with Daniel Clowes on the real Ghost World, his home town, and the Graphic Novel itself.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#14 Post by LostCalls » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:35 pm

I saw Ghost World for the first time about a month ago and have watched it three times since then. Basically, I'm being haunted by it. As with Lost in Translation, I feel as if I've been carrying the sentiment of this film around with me during the day. I even whistle the piano theme by David Kitay to myself. What an affecting film!

At some point I'm sure I'll have more to write regarding my thoughts on Ghost World, but for now, I'll say that on Monday I'm going to watch GW with the person who first introduced me to LiT. (She's never seen GW before, and I'm really interested/eager to hear her thoughts.)

Pockets
Suntory Time

#15 Post by Pockets » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:17 pm

sheyit wrote:It also happens with Sean Bean - who I think is a fantastic actor, but is ALWAYS (except for his role in Troy) the guy who gets kicked out of the group, turns against the group, and usually dies or disappeears long before the film's end (eg. Ronin, Goldeneye, LOTR)
Have you ever seen Sean Bean as Richard Sharpe in the wonderful Sharpe series produced by BBCA? Sharpe's Challenge (2006) was the last one and it was quite excellent.

BrassInPocket
Wide Awake

#16 Post by BrassInPocket » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:32 am

"Ghost World" is a *great* movie! I think a LIT/Ghost World double-feature would be great to watch.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#17 Post by Pitman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:21 am

I'm so there. One of these years...maybe we will actually organize an LiT get-together and viewing.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#18 Post by LostCalls » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:36 pm

I would be up for that as well...though I think a double feature of LiT and Ghost World might result in emotional overload. Or, in the terms of this forum, two punches in the stomach!

Still...sounds good to me...

Pitman
Suntory Time

#19 Post by Pitman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:36 pm

I'm thinking New York may be a good central get-together for the two-punches to stomach!

Congruous
Suntory Time

#20 Post by Congruous » Thu May 10, 2007 1:11 pm

I finally got to see this the other night. I liked it. Scarlett did a great job, but Thora Birch and Steve Buscemi were fantastic.
"Are there no more arrows left?"