FAVOURITE PART OF LIT.

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#61 Post by jm » Sat May 06, 2006 1:47 pm

"[quote:ad16050192="Pitman"]And that scene where Charlotte puts her head on Bob's shoulder, wow...that just made me feel so good. Such trust and caring for each other.[/quote:ad16050192]
A head on the shoulder is a universal cue for an arm around the shoulder. Bob's leg-crossing hands-on-knee is beautiful, as is Charlotte's chuckle of appreciation."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#62 Post by Pitman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:55 pm

That adoring look Charlotte gives Bob as he takes a drag off her cigarette is priceless.

vajper
Tourist

#63 Post by vajper » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:46 pm

my favorite part is the arcade scene , the karooke scene , the wiskey scene and the photo shot scene . and the scene were they are trying the new restaurant and they are pretty anoyed with each other .

i love the arcade scene becuse it brings back memories with me and my brothers playing in the arcades in spain when we used to go there on vocation , but to bad its no arcades here in sweden , damn i need to go to japan ,

Nak Nak
Awake

#64 Post by Nak Nak » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:35 am

The bad lunch.
----------------
It's a godawful small affair
To the girl with the mousy hair

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#65 Post by Just Like Honey... » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:17 pm

vajper wrote:to bad its no arcades here in sweden , damn i need to go to japan ,

What?! No arcades?? How do you survive? Someone should start a prostest. I'm with you.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

BrassInPocket
Wide Awake

#66 Post by BrassInPocket » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:14 am

Ok, a couple of my favorites.

1.) First and foremost, Charlotte singing "Brass In Pocket". My god. I utterly fell in love with Charlotte/Scarlett the first time I saw this scene. She is so utterly adorable. Especially the little "sidestep" thing with her shoulders. Gah! I love her!

2.) The bed discussion scene, which I think is the centerpoint of the movie, and I absolutely love when he puts his hand on her foot.

3.) The "hey you" scene, of course. And even though 99.9% of the people on the IMDB message board would disagree, I love the fact that we don't know what he says to her at the end. We're not supposed to know. It's a very private scene, and it's supposed to be up to us to fill in whatever we think he says to her. And by filling that in ourselves, we discover something about ourselves in the process.

4.) The scene where they are dancing in the apartment. Don't know why, but I love it.

5.) The scene outside after the fire alarm.

I am sure I could come up with tons more, if I wanted. :)

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#67 Post by LostCalls » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:55 am

I'm certainly with everyone here who's said that to really try to isolate a favorite moment would probably result in rattling off a list of every scene in the film... That said, I am pretty much always moved to at least one tear during the karaoke scene when Charlotte sheepishly smiles as Bob turns to face her directly while singing "More Than This." That look is killer...

I also really enjoy the shot of Charlotte looking out her hotel window over the Tokyo skyline as "Tommib" by Squarepusher is playing. There's something extremely peaceful about that moment even though we can readily understand Charlotte's feelings of alienation and isolation. I'm sure the calming sensation has to do with the music.

And, the tap on the foot and the intentional/romantic-but-made-to-seem-casual/practical touch on the shoulder can't escape mention!

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#68 Post by Bren » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:15 am

LostCalls wrote:I'm certainly with everyone here who's said that to really try to isolate a favorite moment would probably result in rattling off a list of every scene in the film... That said, I am pretty much always moved to at least one tear during the karaoke scene when Charlotte sheepishly smiles as Bob turns to face her directly while singing "More Than This." That look is killer...
I also really enjoy the shot of Charlotte looking out her hotel window over the Tokyo skyline as "Tommib" by Squarepusher is playing. There's something extremely peaceful about that moment even though we can readily understand Charlotte's feelings of alienation and isolation. I'm sure the calming sensation has to do with the music.

And, the tap on the foot and the intentional/romantic-but-made-to-seem-casual/practical touch on the shoulder can't escape mention!
I agree with you on both of them! :)

For me, the best scene of all is the end scene, LOVE it! Cannot forget the the whole karaoke scene, outside the karaoke room, Charlotte on the phone to Lauren, the earlier bar scenes, the last bar scene(!), and all the rest.... :D
"Everyone wants to be found."

Mr Kazu
Awake

#69 Post by Mr Kazu » Tue May 08, 2007 12:20 am

LostCalls wrote:I also really enjoy the shot of Charlotte looking out her hotel window over the Tokyo skyline as "Tommib" by Squarepusher is playing. There's something extremely peaceful about that moment even though we can readily understand Charlotte's feelings of alienation and isolation. I'm sure the calming sensation has to do with the music.
that's my favourite part by far. & it wouldn't be the same if the music didn't have so much reverb; that effect makes it so distant from anything. another good scene is after the fire drill when charlotte gets back from kyoto (where she seems to have felt something) & we see charlotte's toe has healed. her week with bob cured her, inside & out! :)
"Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun."

Pitman
Suntory Time

#70 Post by Pitman » Tue May 08, 2007 8:01 am

ha ha! curiously enough...speaking about toes being healed...the Tommib scene happened after the toe stubbing accident...but wow! the toe is healed in this scene too! lol

Mr Kazu
Awake

#71 Post by Mr Kazu » Tue May 08, 2007 10:32 am

...I'll pretend I don't know that :roll: Maybe the angle had something to do with it, Bob looked straight down at her foot, while in the Tommib scene we look from the side. :P
"Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun."

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#72 Post by TokyoGirl » Thu May 10, 2007 6:15 am

It's hard to choose but some of my favourites are:

01) The karaoke scene, I just love every part of this, the songs they sing, the atmosphere, the singing, everything.. I always find myself wanting this scene to go on much longer.

02) Charlotte in Kyoto, the view of Mt Fuji from the train and watching the couple.. the peacefulnesss is just beautiful.

03) Charlotte and the robots, I really wish they had left in this scene, there is just something I love about it.

04) The end, I honestly do not want to know what Bob said, not even a little bit.. I love the fact that it's left to the imagination, I know this bothers some people but to me it was perfect.
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#73 Post by Cryogenic » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:35 pm

A moment of silence wrote:When Charlotte is by herself puttign makeup on its cool too.
That scene is exquisite. If you notice very carefully, I believe the camera goes out of focus for an instant when Charlotte has applied her lipstick and is checking herself in the mirror. I don't have a rational explanation for this, but I believe the literal momentary refocusing of the camera could represent the metaphorical momentary refocusing of Charlotte at her own appearance and overall being. In a way, this scene is "rhymed" later on when Bob is about to shave and blinks at his own reflection, as if trying to discern who he really is.
Wing Fat wrote:
A moment of silence wrote:And the scene where he takes photos making faces of The Rat Pack and Roger Moore.
Here's an example of why I couldn't pick a favorite scene... that one scene is fully of so much great stuff. "...where the hell's the whiskey?" "Am I drinking? As soon as I'm done." "You mean more or Roger Moore?" And the when-will-it-end look on Bob's face at the very end of that scene is classic.
LOL! It's all good, isn't it? That final look on Bob's face perfectly sums it up, yes!
Wing Fat wrote:You could take every scene and dissect a ton of great stuff from it.
Oh, absolutely. I'm reminded of an astute quotation by Andre Gide: "The most subtle, the strongest and deepest art — supreme art — is the one that does not at first allow itself to be recognized."
adrien950 wrote:I totally forgot the part were he says the line: For Relaxing Times, Make It Suntory Time---and then the director screams..the exact opposite of relaxing. That scene is so funny!
Your right! It is impossible to pick a favorite part..it's all amazing! :D
LOL! Again, this adds to the film's pervasive irony. Bob is trying to sell a whiskey, but they give him Iced Tea. He's relaxing in a study, but it's really a tiny set with a hyperactive director barking orders. You have to love this movie.
jm wrote:Good, then we're all agreed that the nods-for-sex scandal never happened.
LMAO! I don't know if this discussion strand has had its day, but I think Bob is weak enough to be nodding for something more. This is a motif that actually runs the entire length of Bob and Charlotte's relationship -- though each time it occurs, the mood / intent is suitably ambiguous. The first time, it's simply when Bob spots Charlotte in the elevator; while she is quick to give a cordial smile and then get the hell out, Bob keeps watching. He is more interested in her -- or at least more blatant about showing his interest, I think. Another key example is straight after the karaoke session. When Charlotte rests her head on Bob's shoulder outside the apartment, Bob looks around nervously, as if wrestling with his conscience about initiating something or not. The next example is just after. With his feelings still super-charged, Bob carries Charlotte back to her room and tucks her in bed. The key moment is when he walks out and closes the door; there's a slight hesitation that suggests he's struggling to actually leave things there and the better side of him is making sure he does by pulling that door shut slowly and deliberately. Then there's the controversial head gesturing in the elevator before the finale. This all stands to reason, too. Bob is the older one and he's male; on a physical level, he is liable to see Charlotte as more desirable than she does him.
Throne1607 wrote:and the ending where Bob seys "hey you" and she turns around and gives him that smile.....oh my god, that smile, as you can tell from my sig, i LOVE that part, although its at the ending, its still my favorite, becaouse you see almost eveyr emotion go through her eyes at that one point....and it was a beautifull way to end a movie...
Brilliant description! That's an ASTOUNDING piece of acting! And maybe a moment of pure "silent cinema". If you were to put LIT in a film montage where every clip from every film lasts three seconds or less, I think you'd use that shot -- it seems to sum up the transcendent joy of connecting ... and just what makes LIT so special.
Mr Kazu wrote:
LostCalls wrote:I also really enjoy the shot of Charlotte looking out her hotel window over the Tokyo skyline as "Tommib" by Squarepusher is playing. There's something extremely peaceful about that moment even though we can readily understand Charlotte's feelings of alienation and isolation. I'm sure the calming sensation has to do with the music.
that's my favourite part by far. & it wouldn't be the same if the music didn't have so much reverb; that effect makes it so distant from anything.
Yes .......... a lot of the music used in LIT demonstrates heavy reverb. It definitely gives it a "distancing" quality -- which brilliantly underscores the subdued feelings of the characters and the philosophical tapestry of the movie. Everything is just slightly unreal and slightly untouchable in this film, including the music.

You'll have to excuse my quixotic style. I haven't picked a moment. I haven't even necessarily commented on the best moments picked by others. It's just too difficult; so I cheated. But I can simplify my answer: Fave Part = ALL OF IT :D