Possible alternative songs to "Just Like Honey"

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

wiggle
Lounge Singer

Possible alternative songs to "Just Like Honey"

#1 Post by wiggle » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:35 pm

The end song was crucial and I think Sofia got it spot on by choosing "Just Like Honey" by Jesus and Mary Chain but can you think of any possible alternatives? I think Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" would've sounded good.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#2 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:32 pm

Ugh, if Good Riddance came up after that, I probably would have cried...in a bad way.
mike

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#3 Post by A moment of silence » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:33 pm

Oh, no you didn't just post this thread... ya nuts? Better than " Just Like Honey" nothing...It goes perfectly. However, if the camera would have followed Charlotte leaving and walking the streets of Tokyo instead of Bob on the cab the song " The Hardest Walk" by Jesus and Mary Chain (same band) would have been perfect..look for the lyrics. But another song, don't think would have fitted like this one. It became one of my favorite songs :)
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#4 Post by hull_street » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:57 pm

Franz Ferdinand's "Walk Away", anyone? You'd have to cut before the last verse, but the rest would play pretty well, I think.

I'm a bit biased, as they are my favorite band, currently. :)

Congruous
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Congruous » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:00 am

Hard to beat "Just Like Honey," but I'll probably have several answers after I think about it awhile. Ever heard "Psalm," by Roxy Music? It is very long, and the lyrics don't match what went on onscreen, but its intro would fit perfectly. Also, the Disco Biscuits do an excellent tune called "Home Again" that would fit, but again, it is fairly long, so it wouldn't really work in a movie unless you edited it.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

tomodachi
Tourist

#6 Post by tomodachi » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:54 am

"Just Like Honey" really worked for me at the end. Very minimalistic, like LiT. There's some lyrical analysis here: http://www.weareawake.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155

I'm a newbie to LiT and this forum, but I've caught LiT fever. I took a few hours of my time and created my own alternate ending to "Just Like Honey" using another song that I think could've been played at the end: The Verve's "Lucky Man".

You can have at my version of LiT's ending here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tWwb8ZS4jHY
Enjoy and any comments/questions are welcome!

Here's why I chose it through some lyrical deconstruction:

1) <-- (used for future chord repeats)
Happiness
More or less
It's just a change in me
Something in my liberty

"Happiness / more or less" - LiT's ending, for me, is very bittersweet.
More happiness: Bob just had the best week of his life in a long time (mid-life crisis) with Charlotte, now, (IMHO) a life-long friend.
Less happiness: Bob now has to leave Charlotte, knowing they can't allow their relationship to progress further than it already has. This obviously is dependent on one's interpretation of whether Bob and Charlotte will get back together in the future and what he whispers in Charlotte's ear.

"It's just a change in me / Something in my liberty" - We can clearly see the journey of internal changes in Bob and Charlotte as LiT progresses, warming up to their surroundings and more importantly, each other (discussed much more elaborately and eloquently by Cryogenic here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/boa ... 5#68653745.

2)
Happiness
Coming and going
I watch you look at me
Watch my fever growing
I know just where I am

"Coming and going" - The arrival and departure of Bob and Charlotte with respect to Tokyo and each other.
"I watch you look at me / Watch my fever growing" - Perhaps there isn't a fever growing, but there are definitely two very large smiles.
"I know just where I am" - Charlotte is Bob's map and compass (and vice versa) to navigating the foreignness of Tokyo. They needed each other to guide themselves toward their respective futures.

3)
But how many corners do I have to turn?
How many times do I have to learn
All the love I have is in my mind?

"But how many corners do I have to turn?" - Bob and Charlotte turned a lot of corners in Tokyo, literally and figuratively.
"How many times do I have to learn" - Bob and Charlotte's lives (and ours) are one big collection of experiences to learn from.
"All the love I have is in my mind?" - Bob and Charlotte both leave an unwithering imprint on each other.

4)
Well, I'm a lucky man
With fire in my hands

"Well, I'm a lucky man" - I'd say Bob is fairly lucky to have met someone who changed his entire life :razz:
"With fire in my hands" - Maybe not in his hands, but at least a burning desire in his heart to patch up his marriage or see Charlotte again (once again dependent on your interpretation of their future).

5)
Happiness
Something in my own place
I'm standing naked
Smiling, I feel no disgrace
With who I am

"Happiness / Something in my own place" - Bob has found happiness within for the first time in a long time.
"I'm standing naked" - Bob puts his heart on his sleeve as he kisses Charlotte (the intentions behind the kiss are left to us to decide).
"Smiling" - We see their glowing smiles :razz:.
"I feel no disgrace / With who I am" - Regardless of the intentions behind the kiss, it provides Bob with much more closure instead of having to solemnly watch Charlotte carried away in the elevator in the prior scene.

Repeat 2)
Repeat 3)

6)
I hope you understand
I hope you understand

A mutual understanding that they can't allow their relationship to progress further than it already has or that this is only a temporary parting, with a reunion to come in the future. Once again, subject to your interpretation.

7)
Gotta love that'll never die

An undying love (whether it be platonic or romantic).

Repeat 1)
Repeat 2)

Oh, my, my (Repeat 4x)
Oh my, what a wonderful movie LiT is! :razz:

7) (Repeat 2x)

No, no
No!!! Why does such beauty have to end? :cry:

I'm a lucky man
Yes you are Mr. Bob Harris, very lucky indeed.

It's just a change in me
Something in my liberty
(Repeat 3x)
Yes, I'd say there was a lot of change for Bob and Charlotte. :razz:

Oh, my, my (Repeat 2x)
Oh my, the song's coming to an end. :cry:

It's just a change in me
Something in my liberty

No more change in lyrics after this, just one more:

Oh, my, my (Repeat 2x)
Oh my, this is the end and I'm out of lyrics. :cry:

Cheers to LiT :D

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#7 Post by Flyonthewall » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:58 am

hmm.. checked out the link to YouTube. Nicely done. :D

While I do agree that nothing can replace the final theme by JaMC... "Lucky Man" does fit as well. :wink:
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#8 Post by burgundy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm a big fan of that Verve album. And I like your video a lot. Its very enjoyable to see that scene with new ears, as it were. It's better than anything I could have done.

Thing is, there is a presence to the Ashcroft vocals that introduces a confusion in the viewer of the film. I think one reason by JLH works is because the vocals are more ethereally mixed. Although we listen to them, they are more in the background. Lucky Man is more up front and to me that creates too much competition with what is happening on screen.
With intensity.

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#9 Post by Bren » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:42 pm

I can't see any other song being as good as "Just like honey", because it's now what we're used to hearing, and also because it's a great song. :D That's why I've got it as my myspace profile song. :lol:
"Everyone wants to be found."

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#10 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:44 am

I am not sure if it is an alternative to "Just like Honey" though this song reminded me of LIT almost immediatly when I had first bought the album. It is actually off of Pure Moods III. It is a little piece called "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" by Ryuichi Sakamoto. It obviously has a japanese theme. :)

I personally think it sounds similar to "Alone in Kyoto" I encourage you guys to check it out and let me know what you think!
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#11 Post by Bren » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:27 am

ForRelaxingTimes wrote:I am not sure if it is an alternative to "Just like Honey" though this song reminded me of LIT almost immediatly when I had first bought the album. It is actually off of Pure Moods III. It is a little piece called "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" by Ryuichi Sakamoto. It obviously has a japanese theme. :)

I personally think it sounds similar to "Alone in Kyoto" I encourage you guys to check it out and let me know what you think!
I've had a listen to that (thanks to a video on youtube). Sounds quite good actually. :)
"Everyone wants to be found."

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#12 Post by mothling » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:46 pm

If "Just Like Honey" were ever going to be replaced, it would have to be replaced by a song which fit in with the general 'sound' of the music that ha been used throughout the film; kind of echoey and dreamlike.

Personally though, no song could come close. That song is just too integral a part to the final scene.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#13 Post by TokyoGirl » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:27 am

I agree, I can't personally imagine a song fitting so perfectly as JLH does... that moment when the music starts gives me goosebumps every time.
She's got the moves to rule the world...

nmaxwell
Tourist

#14 Post by nmaxwell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:43 pm

Either "To Here Knows When" or "Soon" by My Bloody Valentine, to give two admittedly obvious choices.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#15 Post by LostCalls » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:21 am

I'd agree with "To Here Knows When" from Loveless.

This is kind of a different mood, but what about "Higher" by The Cardigans? (I should note also, though, that I think "Just Like Honey" kind of nails it.)

thehardestwalk
Traveler

#16 Post by thehardestwalk » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:52 am

I'd probably say that "Just Like Honey" is the perfect peice - the drumbeat intro fits so well, almost preparing you for the ending...

If not though, I'd also suggest "The Hardest Walk" by tJaMC (not just for the obvious reason, but it seems like the lyrics were almost written for the scene). Or for something more upbeat "Happy When it Rains", again by tJaMC.

One other song I like and have always considered very "LiT", although it wouldn' fit here, is "Cherry Blossom Girl" by Air.
So where are the strong, and who are the trusted?..