Introduction - a few years late

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

T-Dot
Traveler

Introduction - a few years late

#1 Post by T-Dot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Greetings to anyone who still visits this board.
I just wanted to introduce myself and to say how much I've enjoyed reading through these threads since I discovered this site last week.

I was recently at a get-together where I was asked what my favourite movie was.
When I answered, "Lost in Translation", I received looks of confusion and disbelief.
It's nice to know that there are like-minded people here who share my feelings.

The first time I saw LIT was in the theatre shortly after it premiered.
I fell in love with it immediately and saw it 2 more times that week.
Then I took a long break.

Last week, I watched the movie for the first time in 6 years.
I honestly couldn't believe the effect it had on me this time around.
I simply can't get it out of my head. I'm thinking about it all the time.
There have been a few great movies that I've thought about for days, but this is the first that has real emotions attached to it.

Perhaps it's because I'm in a very different place in my life right now than the first time I watched the film.
Back then I was single, and now I'm married with 2 kids.
I now have a job where I travel a lot and have had numerous hotel phone calls that resembled Bob's conversations with Lydia.
As well, 2 years ago, I met someone by chance in my travels with whom I spent an evening very similar to LIT.
(Maybe at some point I'll post that story here because I've never told anyone before).
Needless to say, LIT resonates with me on a much deeper level than it did the first time I saw it.
I can't wait to watch it again.

Thanks for reading this long-winded introduction!

Pitman
Suntory Time

Welcome

#2 Post by Pitman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 am

Welcome T-Dot! Fellow Toronto resident here. So is Burgandy. Nice introduction. I would love to hear about your LiT experience. This is the place to post it for sure. It still is my favourite movie of all time. I doubt very much that any other film will take over the number 1 spot. It's funny when other people just don't get it. My theory is that of most of the people that don't get it, it's because they are either too busy in their minds and can't relax enough to enjoy a movie of this pace; or they simply can not identify with either of the characters.

T-Dot
Traveler

Re: Welcome

#3 Post by T-Dot » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:32 am

Hey Pitman.
Thanks for the welcome.
When it comes to people who dislike this film, I don't think of them as not "getting it" as much as not feeling it. I think you can understand this movie and still not care for it. I think some people are simply unable to feel an emotional attachment to this particular movie.

My own LiT experience -

As I mentioned earlier, I travel a lot with my job.
Three years ago I started an email correspondence with a young woman in my industry (we were both in our 20s).
This was a business contact who I had to write to once a week.
Over the course of a year we shared some personal information, mostly in the form of small talk. She lived in New York and had a boyfriend of 6 years.
I was married with a young child.
Later that year, my company flew me out to New York and I ended up meeting her at a conference for the first time. We shared a drink in the hotel lobby.
When I told her that I'd be having dinner in my room, she offered to take me out. We stayed at the restaurant for hours talking. We would've stayed longer if it didn't close. Afterward, she took me on a walking tour of the neighborhood. I wasn't sure if she was feeling the same thing I was but it felt good. At one point we just sat on a bench listening to her iPod, not wanting the night to end. At 1am we called it a night. We decided to share a cab - I'd get off at my hotel and she'd continue to her apartment. The cab ride was awkwardly silent. We both just stared out our windows. Halfway into the ride, she placed her hand on top of mine and we
remained silent until my stop. I gave her a hug, thanked her for the night and left the cab. When I turned back, she was getting out of the car. As she approached me, every emotion raced through my body. Before I could react, she took my hand, leaned in and kissed me. It took me by such surprise that my lips were frozen. I stood there like a deer in headlights as she waved goodbye and drove off in the cab.
I haven't seen her since. We still email each other on occasion, though we've never really spoken about that night.

I think I was wrong to ever put myself in that situation, but it remains a great memory.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Pitman » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:45 pm

T-Dot...what a fabulous story. This is life. These experiences happen, and at the most unpredictable times. What a wonderful episode. A truly LiT experience to say the least!

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#5 Post by LostCalls » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:25 pm

Welcome, T-Dot! Your description of the feeling associated with watching LiT for the first time in a while reminds me of my first few times seeing the film. I couldn't stop thinking about it--and feeling almost physically the effect of it--for weeks. I necessarily found my way here to this group and to some like-minded (or like-hearted?) viewers.

Also, I love your story; thank you for sharing it with us.

T-Dot
Traveler

#6 Post by T-Dot » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 am

Thank you both for the warm welcome!

hannidan
Tokyo Insomniac

Welcome T-Dot

#7 Post by hannidan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:07 am

Welcome T-Dot. I agree with you about this forum. The wealth of information and observations is just amazing. I thought I knew the film until reading all the posts! It has helped me get even more enjoyment out of the film.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#8 Post by adrien950 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:45 am

Hello all, just re-introducing myself to everyone who's on the board now. I found this forum some time in "06 and it was great to realize that I wasn't the only one who felt something powerful after viewing this film. There were so many great posts and so many members before me that I felt reassured that I wasn't alone. I stopped posting for awhile and , but I still watch LIT every now and then. I am so glad this site is still up and running and it's so great to see all the "new" members on here. :)

Bob_san
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bob_san » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:33 am

Yes welcome T-Dot and thanks for sharing your story!

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#10 Post by Flyonthewall » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:07 am

Sorry for being so late in welcoming you... But thanks for sharing :D

Just goes to show you how this one little movie has affected us all
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

josh
Awake

Lost in Translation all over again

#11 Post by josh » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:30 pm

I just finished watching LIT a couple of days ago. Haven't seen it or posted for a few years. Just got back from a short move to New York. I went there to be with someone I had only known for one hour. Yes we met in a hotel bar. I had forgotten about this movie to be honest but now i feel like Im living it.It is powerful. I had the chance to me SJ in Toronto a little while back.Never thought to ask her about the movie(wish I had). Its funny because she seemed more ;like Bob than Charlotte in person? If that makes any sense
too good to be true