Going to Tokyo next month, may be staying at the Park Hyatt

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

Going to Tokyo next month, may be staying at the Park Hyatt

#1 Post by jeffyen » Tue May 11, 2010 2:18 am

So I'm still thinking about whether to pay the USD 500+ a night admission charge. Will probably be watching LiT in the room haha...

I'll be reading related posts in the forum... does anyone want anything/ pictures of xyz, or have ideas what I should check out at the hotel?

Kayin Kincaide
Wide Awake

#2 Post by Kayin Kincaide » Tue May 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Pictures of surrounding area please? Just like landscape type stuff?

Much appreciated, thank you.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bob_san » Wed May 12, 2010 2:06 am

Cool! I wonder if you can get some kind of discount somehow? AAA?! :D I figure if I spend the $ to go all the way to Tokyo someday, I'm going to spend the $ to stay in that hotel for a couple days!!! Take pictures of everything! Especially the views out the window! Take a photo of the fax machine at 4:20!!! (AM or PM!!!)

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#4 Post by jeffyen » Wed May 12, 2010 8:45 am

Ok good ideas! I just paid online, it costs USD 478 a night including taxes. I wrote on the online order form that I'm staying there because of LiT. Maybe the concierge has something 'extra' to give me haha...

The hotel used to have a LiT package but not now... I'll also try to buy the owl if it's remotely possible... :) More ideas welcome...

nathan
Sleepless in Tokyo

#5 Post by nathan » Mon May 17, 2010 10:20 pm

what days are you in tokyo? i'm going to be staying at a hostel in shibuya starting tomorrow and im planning to go to the hotel lounge. i dont think i can afford to spring for a room though.

hannidan
Tokyo Insomniac

#6 Post by hannidan » Tue May 18, 2010 9:42 pm

For those of us not going (at least at this time) you might enjoy Google Earth, beside the satellite view they have the street view too.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bob_san » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:24 am

I/we look forward to updates!!!!

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#8 Post by jeffyen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm posting this from the Park Hyatt! It's wonderfully surreal.. will post more photos and videos when I get home next week...

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#9 Post by samwright8380 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:14 pm

I hope you have a great trip and I'll be looking forward to seeing your pictures and videos! It may be a bit late to suggest, but Kamakura makes for a really nice day trip, about an hour or so on JR lines :)

nathan
Sleepless in Tokyo

#10 Post by nathan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:53 pm

i just recently got back myself (though i didn't have the pleasure of staying in the park hyatt, i was within walking distance of it). can't wait to see your pictures!

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#11 Post by jeffyen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:23 am

Yeah! I've just uploaded some pics...

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffreyyen/ ... directlink

Some videos, the first two are of some water activity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k2L3tHPRow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY6cslPymB0

The next are of walking from my room to the pool..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOr45AFmV7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DT720nxgzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XolaPwkFQg

Thanks sam, i'll keep that in mind. Japan has so many interesting places, I will return some day!

background: Dupont Odeon's An insider's look at the Tokyo Park Hyatt
http://www.weareawake.org/litforum/viewtopic.php?t=885

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#12 Post by preciouswhile » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:54 am

Fantastic photos. Thanks so much for sharing them. It's awesome to see the locations from the movie in a different way, as well as some new ones.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#13 Post by LostCalls » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Jeffyen,

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful photos with us! How much longing they induce in me!

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#14 Post by samwright8380 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:07 am

just spent some time going through these- most comprehensive! Thanks for posting them.

hannidan
Tokyo Insomniac

#15 Post by hannidan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:49 am

You've got me dreaming again. Thanks for the photos.

SaitamaSteve
Awake

#16 Post by SaitamaSteve » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:28 am

Oh man, I'm moving to Japan next week and these awesome photos really got the 'ol nostalgia juices flowing. Time to pop in the DVD with a glass of scotch.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#17 Post by samwright8380 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:10 am

SaitamaSteve wrote:Oh man, I'm moving to Japan next week and these awesome photos really got the 'ol nostalgia juices flowing. Time to pop in the DVD with a glass of scotch.
If you don't mind me asking, are you going via the english teaching route or being sent there by your company? I've been considering moving out there for years but the eikaiwa industry seems to be in freefall these days...

SaitamaSteve
Awake

#18 Post by SaitamaSteve » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:59 am

samwright8380 wrote:
SaitamaSteve wrote:Oh man, I'm moving to Japan next week and these awesome photos really got the 'ol nostalgia juices flowing. Time to pop in the DVD with a glass of scotch.
If you don't mind me asking, are you going via the english teaching route or being sent there by your company? I've been considering moving out there for years but the eikaiwa industry seems to be in freefall these days...
No problem at all. I'm going via the JET program, so a little more stable than eikaiwa, but still English teaching. I understand your anxiety about eikaiwa--they are a bit freefall and unreliable. However, a word of advice--if you're serious about moving over there and finding work, a lot of people simply use eikaiwa as a means of getting there with a salary and working visa, and then after a bit of integrating themselves in the country, quickly apply directly to a school board/board of education and find themselves with a more solid job in the same industry. A lot of job opportunities in Japan open up by simply being there, so that's something to consider.

And man, knowing that I'll be there so soon has me wanting to watch the movie more and more.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#19 Post by samwright8380 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 am

SaitamaSteve wrote:
samwright8380 wrote:
No problem at all. I'm going via the JET program, so a little more stable than eikaiwa, but still English teaching. I understand your anxiety about eikaiwa--they are a bit freefall and unreliable. However, a word of advice--if you're serious about moving over there and finding work, a lot of people simply use eikaiwa as a means of getting there with a salary and working visa, and then after a bit of integrating themselves in the country, quickly apply directly to a school board/board of education and find themselves with a more solid job in the same industry. A lot of job opportunities in Japan open up by simply being there, so that's something to consider.

And man, knowing that I'll be there so soon has me wanting to watch the movie more and more.
Congratulations! From what I've heard about the rising number of JET applications recently, it's no mean feat to get a place on the programme. I think your advice is sound on using eikaiwa as a stepping stone; I lived in Spain a few years back and I bagged a fairly good job through contacts that wouldn't have been available to me outside of the country. I've had the notion in my head of coming over for about four years and have managed to get myself out of the cycle of work and into university; but times change and in those last four years job prospects over there have gone from 'employ anyone with a pulse' to 100 applicants per sub 250k a year job. Right now trying to get into post grad teacher training and an international school is starting to appeal. Did they place you in the deep countryside? I know JET has a penchant for placing people in deepest darkest nowhere...

SaitamaSteve
Awake

#20 Post by SaitamaSteve » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:13 am

samwright8380 wrote:
SaitamaSteve wrote:
samwright8380 wrote: If you don't mind me asking, are you going via the english teaching route or being sent there by your company? I've been considering moving out there for years but the eikaiwa industry seems to be in freefall these days...

Congratulations! From what I've heard about the rising number of JET applications recently, it's no mean feat to get a place on the programme. I think your advice is sound on using eikaiwa as a stepping stone; I lived in Spain a few years back and I bagged a fairly good job through contacts that wouldn't have been available to me outside of the country. I've had the notion in my head of coming over for about four years and have managed to get myself out of the cycle of work and into university; but times change and in those last four years job prospects over there have gone from 'employ anyone with a pulse' to 100 applicants per sub 250k a year job. Right now trying to get into post grad teacher training and an international school is starting to appeal. Did they place you in the deep countryside? I know JET has a penchant for placing people in deepest darkest nowhere...
Thanks! Yeah, juggling interests in getting education/certification and getting into the field of working can be tough. If you ever commit to heading over, I can name a few eikaiwa or at least job listing sites that are of more credible reputation. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've been exposed to them a little. As more my placement, I was rather surprised--I got placed in Shizuoka, so pretty much smack dab in the middle of Japan. I suppose I got pretty lucky, not being in the boonies.

To tie it back to the thread, I'm not sure when I'll visit the place, but I'll definitely head to the Park Hyatt and post pics that I take--I know I always appreciate it when others do.