If you liked Lost in Translation...

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

LJ Rucker
Traveler

If you liked Lost in Translation...

#1 Post by LJ Rucker » Tue May 04, 2004 7:57 pm

you would also like...

Punch Drunk Love

(this would be a movie suggestion thread)
"What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?"

jml2
WooHoo Guy

Re: If you liked Lost in Translation...

#2 Post by jml2 » Mon May 10, 2004 4:48 pm

you might like some of these:

The Scent of Green Papaya
Celine and Julie Go Boating
Walkabout

#3 Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:30 am

ALSO A MUST RENT

ALL I WANT

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Re: If You Like LIT, You Might Like...

#4 Post by phillygalinutah » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:00 am

I was flipping channels today, and came across this sweet movie with Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep called "Falling in Love". It looked like it was filmed in the early 80s. Checked IMDB and it's from 1984.

I can't help to think that Sofia somehow hadn't seen this movie, and it gave her some bit of inspiration for LIT.

The setting this time starts where two strangers, Frank and Molly, both married, meet in a bookstore briefly whle Christmas shopping. Months later, they recognize each other again taking the same train home. Soon, they're enjoying their daily conversations on their rides homes; a friendship develops and it becomes very precious to them. The plot is simple and subdued. This couple gets in a relationship situation they didn't intend on, and both are unsure what to do about it, with spouses and children to consider. However, where LIT didn't go beyond the short friendship. this one does lead on to the consequences, but eventally the unintended lovers are united together.

Not sure Bill Murray would have cared for the ending of "Falling in Love". It was resolved in favor of Frank and Molly being reunited at the end of the movie. In interviews, Bill has said most romance movies aren't authentic, and give audiences what they want...a happy ending.
"Everyone wants to be found"

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Before Sunset

#5 Post by jm » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:35 am

Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Re: "Falling in Love"

#6 Post by phillygalinutah » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:09 pm

Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep gave terrific subdued performances in their scenes together. Their developing friendship into love moves along slowly like LIT.

Streep and Deniro were more closely matched age-wise; each struggling with the knowledge that they were married; yet once they met, they recognized they shared a precious friendship they didn't realize they missed before they met. Sofia put a wide age gap between Bob and Charlotte, but after watching DeNiro and Streep, LIT may have worked too with an aging star and a woman closer to his age.

Not sure if Blockbuster, etc...will carry it. Maybe try:

http://www.tv-now.com/stars/

and plug in Streep or DeNiro's name to see if this movie is playing again on TV in July.
"Everyone wants to be found"

The staion agent

#7 Post by guest » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:15 pm

watch 'The Station Agent'

its quite recent and unknown , although it won awards at Cannes, and i watched around the same time as lost in translation
it's very funny, and covers similar topics.

Re: The staion agent

#8 Post by Guest » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:49 pm

guest wrote:watch 'The Station Agent'

its quite recent and unknown , although it won awards at Cannes, and i watched around the same time as lost in translation
it's very funny, and covers similar topics.

although nothing will replace LIT as my fav movie ever, the station agent was really, really good :wink: :wink: it sorta triggered the same emotions as in LIT. but LIT lingers and lingers with me.

Scent of the Green Papaya ----i saw this movie years ago and remember feeling there was no other movie i've ever seen like it. i couldn't figure out if i enjoyed it or not. i don't think i did. but i was younger then so who knows ----maybe i should view it again. :roll:

#9 Post by Guest » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:05 pm

Anyone seen Adaptation? I saw this a bit after LiT, and I felt they complemented each other so perfectly. The main character in Adaptation talks about a movie that revolves entirely around flowers, where nothing plot-wise happens. I was reminded immediately of LiT, a movie people say doesn't really have a plot, yet we enjoy immensely.

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#10 Post by Autumn Child » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:16 pm

Last Life in the Universe

:D

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by I65 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:30 pm

I saw Adaptation, it was interesting, not at all what I was expecting. I think I like Eternal Sunshine more though, as far as Kaufman goes, and dealing with relationship issues.

Another movie that really touched me due to life experiences is Pieces of April. Another good movie about relationships filmed on a small budget, in a short amount of time (17 days sticks out in my mind, but don't quote me on it).

Still waiting to see Punch Drunk Love. I've avoided it as I am not a big Sandler fan, but have heard it compared to LIT so I figure it is worth a look-see

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#12 Post by silvermoon » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:43 pm

chungking express and in the mood for love. chungking express for the theme of fate bringing lonely people together and finding your soulmate amongst all the people you meet every day. in the mood for love for the theme of unrequited love, for one reason or another. both brilliant movies, both strong influences on LiT (perhaps you heard sofia coppola mention wong kar wai in her oscar speech. i was pleased to hear her acknowledge such an obvious inspiration). be surprised if you wouldnt like those movies if u like LiT, unless u dont like subtitled movies.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

Re: If you liked Lost in Translation...

#13 Post by Just Like Honey... » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:48 pm

LJ Rucker wrote:Punch Drunk Love
I really enjoyed that movie.

I honestly thought I was almost the only one in the world ever to have seen it. Similarly to LiT, anyone who I happened to find that had seen the movie chose to hate it.

Now I want to see it again...
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Nak Nak
Awake

#14 Post by Nak Nak » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:14 pm

Before Sunset is a fantastic film. Pretty similar to LiT in its aimlessness, but not quite the same.
----------------
It's a godawful small affair
To the girl with the mousy hair

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#15 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:08 pm

silvermoon wrote:chungking express

You may not believe this but I put this movie on my "to watch" list almost 5 long years ago, and I FINALLY just finished it, and one of the first things I remembered to do was come back here and reply to this post. The movie was amazing and evocative. I think I have to watch it again before saying anything else. The interlocking narratives were a bit confusing.

Cheers!
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#16 Post by samwright8380 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:11 am

Just Like Honey... wrote:
silvermoon wrote:chungking express

You may not believe this but I put this movie on my "to watch" list almost 5 long years ago, and I FINALLY just finished it, and one of the first things I remembered to do was come back here and reply to this post. The movie was amazing and evocative. I think I have to watch it again before saying anything else. The interlocking narratives were a bit confusing.

Cheers!
I first watched this a year ago....for me it has an air of nostalgia about it, the nineties, hong kong still a british colony etc.

Herci
Traveler

#17 Post by Herci » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:58 am

I watched "a single man" a movie by Tom Ford with Colin Firth and Julianne Moore. A beautiful movie. Watched it twice already on blu-ray and my mum who usually doesn't watch movies watched it too and totally loved it.

It's an emotional movie...sad. Beautifully filmed, colors, costumes (1962 era).

Worth checking out.

aonther one..;code 46 with Tim Robbins. It's has that estranged feeling. Also very beautiful, by Michael Winterbottom.

Watching Music Transform
Lost In Jet Lag

#18 Post by Watching Music Transform » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:31 am

Ahhhh... This whole forum is an understated gold mine! :D

I haven't seen a lot of the ones you've posted but I'm taking note!! :)
Yes, it gets easier

Mr Kazu
Awake

#19 Post by Mr Kazu » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Coppola lists her influences for LiT in her Oscar acceptance speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skit7AZtuw4

- Michelangelo Antonioni
- Wong Kar-Wai
- Bob Fosse
- Jean-Luc Godard

So there you have it. I've only seen one movie by only one of those writers but I could definitely see the influence there.
"Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun."