Somewhere (2010)

Discuss what movies Bill, Scarlett, and Sofia, the producers or musicians are working on or in now as well as film influences for LIT etc.

Moderator: Bob

SuperDuper
Lost In Tokyo

Somewhere (2010)

#1 Post by SuperDuper » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Surprised there is no topic here. New trailer for Sofia's new film 'Somewhere', out December 22, 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvSspY7W ... r_embedded

Thoughts?

onlyshallow
Awake

#2 Post by onlyshallow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:47 am

Yeah just came in here to post this link actually.

It looks very similar to LiT and it seems it will explore themes along the same lines, which is a good thing in my opinion. A true LiT sequel would be an awful idea, this is about as close as we should ever get I reckon.

I'm hoping there's more to the soundtrack than just music by Phoenix though. I like the band very much, but I like the mix of tracks in both LiT and Marie Antoinette. The Virgin Suicides soundtrack was completely done by Air, another band I like, but the soundtrack didn't do much for me.

Regards
Mike

Bob_san
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bob_san » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:37 am

Yes seems similer but where in LIT there was a father figure, in this film, he IS the father!!! I use the term father figure loosely though as of course there can be a relationship between two people like that without necessarily that stuff. But again older man, younger woman/girl and their friendship.

Sirgin
Tourist

#4 Post by Sirgin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Just saw the trailer. Even though it's still too early to tell, it sure does look promising! Hopefully this'll be another fantastic movie by Sofia. :)

ftn046
Tourist

#5 Post by ftn046 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:53 am

I really can't wait for this movie, it looks very promising from the trailer. Ever since LiT I've been anxiously awaiting Sofia Coppola's movies, and this one looks like it will do some justice.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#6 Post by samwright8380 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:30 am

I'd agree that this does strongly see like the spiritual successor to LIT; Sofia Coppolla does seem to have her niche in depicting the relationship between father and daughter (indirectly or otherwise). I'll probably see this in the cinema, but more likely on my own on a quiet afternoon..

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#7 Post by jeffyen » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:12 am

Sofia Coppola wins top prize for bittersweet tale

Director at Venice Festival awarded for Somewhere, her film about a dissolute Hollywood movie star

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/sep ... elenmirren

nathan
Sleepless in Tokyo

#8 Post by nathan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:05 pm

imdb recently produced a short featurette on the film:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2528614425/

onlyshallow
Awake

#9 Post by onlyshallow » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:56 am

Christmas comes early for UK 'awakers', Somewhere goes on release 10th of December! Saw the first poster on the tube home last night, can't wait!

Regards
Mike

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#10 Post by TokyoGirl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

That is excellent news, I just checked my local cinema and it is indeed showing next Friday! I can't wait.
She's got the moves to rule the world...

onlyshallow
Awake

#11 Post by onlyshallow » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:28 am

London's free daily newspaper, The Metro, has an interview with sofia on their website today:

http://www.metro.co.uk/film/849840-sofi ... -somewhere

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#12 Post by Tombo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:33 am

Lordy!

It's LIT moved to LA,nearly scene for scene,with the lead's ages shifted downwards.

Still a great film. But a (very small) variation on a theme.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#13 Post by preciouswhile » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:51 pm

I just now realized this is only a limited release in the US, and not in my city.

Has anyone heard any information about a wider release? The official website doesn't mention anything.

SuperDuper
Lost In Tokyo

#14 Post by SuperDuper » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Ya, it doesn't seem to be available in Canada near my city (Toronto) as well. However, I just discovered that a DVD rip of this movie can be "obtained" on the internet today. So I have to resort to that before I can purchase the movie.
preciouswhile wrote:I just now realized this is only a limited release in the US, and not in my city.

Has anyone heard any information about a wider release? The official website doesn't mention anything.

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#15 Post by TokyoGirl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:20 pm

It's only available in one cinema miles away from me as well. It's really disappointing, I was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#16 Post by preciouswhile » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:17 am

There's now a bit wider release with new theaters listed on the official site.

I saw it this afternoon. Honestly I wasn't impressed. I get where she was going with the film but it missed the mark in my opinion.

On the other hand it wasn't until my second viewing of LIT, alone and at home, that it really struck me so I'll give Somewhere another go when it comes to DVD/netflix.

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#17 Post by TokyoGirl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 am

preciouswhile wrote:There's now a bit wider release with new theaters listed on the official site.

I saw it this afternoon. Honestly I wasn't impressed. I get where she was going with the film but it missed the mark in my opinion.

On the other hand it wasn't until my second viewing of LIT, alone and at home, that it really struck me so I'll give Somewhere another go when it comes to DVD/netflix.
Thanks to you mentioning wider releases, I checked up and found that they were showing it at my local arthouse cinema this week only!

So I saw it last night, we were the only ones in there. I enjoyed it and liked some of it a lot but I thought some parts could have done with being shorter and some longer. I'll watch it again on DVD, but it's no LiT.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#18 Post by LostCalls » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:59 am

I agree, I think, with preciouswhile. LiT only really moved me on the second and third viewings--which were by myself at home. I'm going to give Somewhere another viewing--I saw it in NYC about two weeks ago. There are so many similarities to LiT--in shots, themes, moods, etc.--that it sometimes feels a little frustrating at first. A number of critics have written similarly--that Sophia can make only one movie and she made it already. On the other hand, I am on the verge of feeling that Somewhere and LiT may represent two variations on the same theme, and that this might not be a bad thing. I left the film feeling the way I did after my first LiT viewing: content but not moved. Yet, in the past few days, I've found myself thinking about Somewhere more and more, seeing its images replay in my mind...and so I wonder.

I am not at all ready to write this film off at all, but I must say that, to me, for better or worse, its striking similarities to LiT cannot be ignored.

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#19 Post by preciouswhile » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:32 pm

They've expanded it even further - check it out if it wasn't already playing in your city:

http://www.focusfeatures.com/somewhere/theatres

The theater was quite full when I saw it, maybe 100 people. I saw it with my fiancee who said of the opening scenes, "They wore on so long I couldn't stand it, but I really wanted to like it because I know how much you like LIT and Sofia." Bless her heart. They really were interminable though.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#20 Post by LostCalls » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:35 am

I didn't mind the long takes; I think they worked on me and got me to adjust myself to the film's language and pacing. I don't think I'd have remembered the film as much--or would want to see it again now--if those very long takes were shorter. I felt as if I were being invited to let my mind wander a little bit during those moments--to fill in the gaps, as it were.

To be clear, I am not disparaging your opinion, preciouswhile. Those shots were long. I just became used to them.

Ever seen L'avventura? I felt that film was too long...and yet at the same time I was often mesmerized.